Alan Pardew - Poltroon sacked by a forrin team

Kid Dynamite

What does Pardew Deserve?  

90 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think they had a clear view of how the budget was going to go down and they wanted a yes man on board for that and Pardew fit that bill. That's the 'holding together' aspect of it, because he will continue to toe the party line and create the conditions for unity far more so than a manager who could reasonably claim they'd been misled about the clubs plans. If he turns out to be a competent manager against that backdrop (and it presents management issues of itself, perhaps even the most challenging single issue), then in that respect it will have been a 'good' decision from the board.

They were certainly looking for a yes man but if that was their prime reason for appointing Pardew then it was a ridiculous one. We've already seen that Pardew has vented his frustration in public about the club's attempts to sign a striker this summer, I can't remember Hughton making such comments. Hughton was already doing a good job of holding the team together in the face of a lack of investment, though I have a feeling that he did so by creating a siege mentality against the board, something Ashley obviously wasn't happy with.

My point is that whether Pardew is a good football manager was a secondary consideration in his appointment and should it turn out that he actually does have the team playing good, winning football then that'll be a stroke of luck rather than a stroke of genius from the board.

Can't see how he's done anymore than Hughton. If anything Hughton was even more reluctant to toe the party line so get the vote over AP from me

Can you give an example of Hughton's reluctance to toe the party line?

He played hell when Carroll was sold and not replaced and was sacked soon after.

Pardew has had Barton, Enrique and Nolan flogged and has barely grumbled. Let's not pretend Pardew wasn't solely employed as a YES man just because Joey Barton said something nice about him.

Neither could hold a candle to Keegan or Robson either btw. Like either of those would have stood for MA changing the name of the ground, plastering huge signs everywhere or buying and selling players behind the managers backs.

Can't see how he's done anymore than Hughton. If anything Hughton was even more reluctant to toe the party line so get the vote over AP from me

He played hell when Carroll was sold and not replaced and was sacked soon after.

Pardew has had Barton, Enrique and Nolan flogged and has barely grumbled. Let's not pretend Pardew wasn't solely employed as a YES man just because Joey Barton said something nice about him.

Neither could hold a candle to Keegan or Robson either btw. Like either of those would have stood for MA changing the name of the ground, plastering huge signs everywhere or buying and selling players behind the managers backs.

Mental.

Or am I missing some outrageous sarcasm.

Edited by geordieshandy

The fixture computer according to some. Best performance by the computer since 1994

:lol:

There's some truth in that, of course. Great time to play Arsenal, for example. And Fulham and Villa are crap.

Four of the five we've played finished above us last season, historically we usually struggle at Villa and Fulham always give us a hard time at home, but obviously only in the more difficult fixture list years.

because Pardew is not only untrustworthy and underhand with his background and scandals to match, nevermind the trotting out of what he knows isn't going to be the case to keep his high profile job he'd never have got with his his friendship.

Houghton was honest and respectful just got on with it while Rapey was waiting in the wings whispering to dekka and fcb.

Rubbish. A job offer is a job offer, no matter who was there before. Things like that are said only because Hughton was dear to the fans

Someone has to take some credit for our start to the season.

The fixture computer according to some. Best performance by the computer since 1994

It's a big factor tbh, although the Arsenal/Sunderland games could have been very different results wise.

So why Chez is Hughton revered by most fans whilst Pardew is merely tolerated?

You still need to give me an example.

I was gutted about Hughton but the hypocrisy of fans who once slagged him off as a puppet of the regime was quite striking.

Hughton toed the party line by refusing to answer questions put to him imo. I think that his diplomacy has been re-interpreted somewhat since he left.

What was originally a refusal to be drawn on questions relating to the administration of the club became a dignified refusal to drag the name of the club through the dirt (or something along this lines). The change in attitude driven 100% by results.

That happened to Robson, and he stood for it.

Mental.

Or am I missing some outrageous sarcasm.

Thats what I'm thinking....am I reading that right?.....Hughton kicked up fuck when Carroll was sold in January this year, even though Hughton had been sacked the previous November?..

ermmmmm Pardew was manager when Carroll went, "Andy Carroll is going nowhere, 100%" *sound of chopper starting up in background

Almost all managers are told to raise cash by selling players at some point in their careers knowing full well the cash won't be re invested in the squad. Thats how we got Batty out of the blue from Leeds, they needed the cash for a bill for something or other.Can you give an example of this during Sir Bob's time here? The thing Sir Bob wouldnt have put up with is the wholesale shipping out of the most talented (and opinionated tbf) players from the sqaud to be replaced with unproven cheap foreign replacements, and with no chance of the mananger himself reinvesting any profits made back into the squad, relying chiefly on a DoF/cheif scout to identify talent for the team, a team managed by a man who is responsible for the results of a team largely recruited by others. KK could see the game at SJP and walked. So would have Sir Bob iyam. Old Skool.

Pardew will put up with this situation with little or no complaint. Makes him a fuckin puppet in my book. The best thing I can say about him is he seems to learn from his mistakes. But he has been hamstrung by the unwillingness of the club to finance a centre forward for the team and players signed with questionable medical backgrounds. This situation would drive anyone fuckin mental...keeping a team of millionaires happy and motivated and also having to dance to the owner/chairman's tune. If we don't get a centre forward in January then I'd expect him to walk if he has a shred of pride in himself. If we're down near the bottom I think they'll sack him anyway. If we're bobbing along in mid table acheiving next to fuck all then things will stay as they are.

Can you give an example of this during Sir Bob's time here?

The sands were shifting beneath my feet.

Towards the end of that season, Charlie Woods came into my office. "Bobby, you won't believe this, but David Pleat has been on and wants to know what's up with Lee Bowyer," he said. David was the director of football at Tottenham Hotspur.

"David Pleat's been on the phone asking what?" I replied incredulously.

Charlie ploughed on with his story. "David was asking whether Lee is injured or something. He said, "The reason I'm asking is that he's been offered to me."

"The kids worth 4 million," I erupted. "Who's offered him to Spurs?"

Charlie had the answer - "The chairman."

Freddy Shepherd had apparently rung David Giess, Bowyer's agent, saying, "Get him out of this club. I want him out. I'm not paying his salary," and so on and so on. He hadn't come to me for my opinion or asked, "Are you happy with Bowyer?"

I realised Bowyer wasn't playing very well and so did the chairman, but his response was to take the law into his own hands.

Bolton did manage to poach Gary Speed from us, however, and therein lies another tale of how disjointed the manager-chairman relationship had become. On our tour of the Far East, John Carver suddenly informed me, “We’ve had an offer for Gary Speed from Bolton.” I knew nothing about it, so I went in search of the chairman for clarification. On no account did I want Gary Speed to leave.

First I caught up with the player himself. “Gary, what’s all this about you wanting to go to Bolton Wanderers? I know nothing about it. The chairman hasn’t mentioned it to me. When John Carver told me an hour ago I was aghast. What do you want to go to Bolton for?”

“The club are going to let me go,” Gary said. “If you don’t know anything about it, you’d better see the chairman.” “As far as I’m concerned, you’re not going to Bolton Wanderers,” I told him. “You’re staying here.”

That Saturday night, the day of our game, I tried the chairman’s room, reception, the restaurant and bar. Eventually, I was told he was out. I was so angry I sat in the foyer, waiting, for half an hour.

Finally, the chairman’s figure appeared in the doorway and I confronted him there and then.

Under cross-examination he denied all knowledge of Gary’s impending move. It was heading into the realms of farce.

The next step, naturally, was to go back to Gary. I spoke to him on our flight from Hong Kong. “The chairman says he knows nothing about this Bolton thing,” I said and left it there.

We arrived back in Newcastle on the Monday morning and, early that afternoon, the chairman called me. “Gary Speed is here with me, he wants to see you. He wants to say goodbye,” he said.

“What?” I exclaimed.

The deal had been completed that morning. Fifty years in the game had taught me that you cannot construct a transfer in four hours. The idea that a player of Gary Speed’s calibre can be sold in four hours is absurd and yet I was being told throughout the weekend that the club knew nothing of Bolton’s interest in one of our most valued players.

Robson also wanted to sell Shearer to Liverpool after they offered £5 million for him, but Shepherd wouldn't let him do so.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/...es-decline.html

Can you give an example of this during Sir Bob's time here?

The sands were shifting beneath my feet.

Towards the end of that season, Charlie Woods came into my office. "Bobby, you won't believe this, but David Pleat has been on and wants to know what's up with Lee Bowyer," he said. David was the director of football at Tottenham Hotspur.

"David Pleat's been on the phone asking what?" I replied incredulously.

Charlie ploughed on with his story. "David was asking whether Lee is injured or something. He said, "The reason I'm asking is that he's been offered to me."

"The kids worth 4 million," I erupted. "Who's offered him to Spurs?"

Charlie had the answer - "The chairman."

Freddy Shepherd had apparently rung David Giess, Bowyer's agent, saying, "Get him out of this club. I want him out. I'm not paying his salary," and so on and so on. He hadn't come to me for my opinion or asked, "Are you happy with Bowyer?"

I realised Bowyer wasn't playing very well and so did the chairman, but his response was to take the law into his own hands.

Bolton did manage to poach Gary Speed from us, however, and therein lies another tale of how disjointed the manager-chairman relationship had become. On our tour of the Far East, John Carver suddenly informed me, “We’ve had an offer for Gary Speed from Bolton.” I knew nothing about it, so I went in search of the chairman for clarification. On no account did I want Gary Speed to leave.

First I caught up with the player himself. “Gary, what’s all this about you wanting to go to Bolton Wanderers? I know nothing about it. The chairman hasn’t mentioned it to me. When John Carver told me an hour ago I was aghast. What do you want to go to Bolton for?”

“The club are going to let me go,” Gary said. “If you don’t know anything about it, you’d better see the chairman.” “As far as I’m concerned, you’re not going to Bolton Wanderers,” I told him. “You’re staying here.”

That Saturday night, the day of our game, I tried the chairman’s room, reception, the restaurant and bar. Eventually, I was told he was out. I was so angry I sat in the foyer, waiting, for half an hour.

Finally, the chairman’s figure appeared in the doorway and I confronted him there and then.

Under cross-examination he denied all knowledge of Gary’s impending move. It was heading into the realms of farce.

The next step, naturally, was to go back to Gary. I spoke to him on our flight from Hong Kong. “The chairman says he knows nothing about this Bolton thing,” I said and left it there.

We arrived back in Newcastle on the Monday morning and, early that afternoon, the chairman called me. “Gary Speed is here with me, he wants to see you. He wants to say goodbye,” he said.

“What?” I exclaimed.

The deal had been completed that morning. Fifty years in the game had taught me that you cannot construct a transfer in four hours. The idea that a player of Gary Speed’s calibre can be sold in four hours is absurd and yet I was being told throughout the weekend that the club knew nothing of Bolton’s interest in one of our most valued players.

Robson also wanted to sell Shearer to Liverpool after they offered £5 million for him, but Shepherd wouldn't let him do so.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/...es-decline.html

Howay man, stop posting real facts that go against the flow !!!

Be alright, Leazes'll have a different book that says something different from the horses mouth, from a different time than the horses mouth said the above.