Alan Pardew - Poltroon sacked by a forrin team

Kid Dynamite

What does Pardew Deserve?  

90 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I just wonder why he'd keep saying he was 100% certain Carroll wouldn't be sold if he knew from day 1 the model he's working under where ANY player is for sale if our valuation of them is surpassed.

That's the model at literally every club though. Ronaldo was sold for £80 million because for as good as he is, £80 million is mental and they've still had success. Now, you're going to get into the pedantics of 100%, aren't you? ;)

I just wonder why he'd keep saying he was 100% certain Carroll wouldn't be sold if he knew from day 1 the model he's working under where ANY player is for sale if our valuation of them is surpassed.

That's the model at literally every club though. Ronaldo was sold for £80 million because for as good as he is, £80 million is mental and they've still had success. Now, you're going to get into the pedantics of 100%, aren't you? ;)

I suppose 100% is virtually 50/50 these days what with footballers "110% effort" and Simon Cowell's "one billion percent yes".

He was probably trying to win over the fans (understandably) and counting no one being prepared to the £30m + asking price for Carroll as well as expecting Carroll to want to stay (apparently he said to Pardew he wanted to go which is backed up by his transfer request). Obviously that gamble backfired for Pardew at the time and made him look daft. It would be churlish to make too much of that now though I reckon.

He's worth £1.6b

He's not spent 400m

He's worth that now, since his latest SD bonanza. He was "only" worth around £1.2 Billion-ish a year or so ago. He's in for about £280 Mill all told. Anyway it's just silly semantics really, bottom line, he's in for a considerable wedge of his own cash.

IF you want to work out the real %, fill yer boots.

Whatever % it is it's still a huge lump.

When he first bought us, his net worth was about £960m from memory (it was less than £1bn). So £280m is near enough 1/4 of his wealth. The substance of Pardew's point stands regardless.

Well, its not semantics, its facts :lol:

Well work out the real % then if it's "facts", it will be in the region of 25% at the time he was putting big lumps in. If it's actually 22.74563% I'll give Pardew a little peotic licence. It's still a huge wedge.

Stupid/petty thing to try and pick up on tbh

Maybe you should do a league table of % of personal wealth risked by all football club owners, past and present, represented as a graph obviously (you'll need negative numbers for some notable owners).

I'm not being petty at all. I think he should win man of the year, I've removed my Sig, halted my 'contradictions' blog, stopped tweeting as 'Mikeashleylies'....my fickleness has been exposed at its worst.

I just think it best we dont go repeating an incorrect factoid.

And he was worth more in 2007. £1.9b reported ...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6685031.stm

I'm not being petty at all. I think he should win man of the year, I've removed my Sig, halted my 'contradictions' blog, stopped tweeting as 'Mikeashleylies'....my fickleness has been exposed at its worst.

I just think it best we dont go repeating an incorrect factoid.

And he was worth more in 2007. £1.9b reported ...

http://news.bbc.co.u...ess/6685031.stm

Based on share prices of stock held, this means that someone's wealth can half overnight with the movement of stock prices. During 2007 and 2008, there was this canny big event that went on, a bit complicated but its referred to nowadays as the 'global financial crisis'. I think it may have affected him.

Also, you cant buy football clubs with stocks, you have to liquidate them into cash and then transfer that cash to purchase the asset you are acquiring. So whether his wealth on paper in 2007 was £1.9bn as valued at the peak of the market across 2 decades, or £1bn a year later after the crash is not that important. Some of that wealth can not be liquidated (e.g. his holdings in SD otherwise he loses control of the company) so the £280m invested was probably far higher than 25% of his actual cash in the bank. Its a fair point you make but its just playing semantics really since Pardew is not a financial expert or economist and proportions of the investment into the club were made in 2008 after the crash when his wealth on paper plummeted.

In 2008 to 2009 that 25% figure was correct and trying to say 'he was worth more at the start of 2007' is a bit pejorative. As Gemmill says the thrust of what he says is correct.

The other controversial Pardew quote from the ST piece is that he has little sympathy for Hughton as the same happened to him, thats football. Not sure it comes over as he means it but i winced a little when reading it.

Based on share prices of stock held, this means that someone's wealth can half overnight with the movement of stock prices. During 2007 and 2008, there was this canny big event that went on, a bit complicated but its referred to nowadays as the 'global financial crisis'. I think it may have affected him.

Also, you cant buy football clubs with stocks, you have to liquidate them into cash and then transfer that cash to purchase the asset you are acquiring. So whether his wealth on paper in 2007 was £1.9bn as valued at the peak of the market across 2 decades, or £1bn a year later after the crash is not that important. Some of that wealth can not be liquidated (e.g. his holdings in SD otherwise he loses control of the company) so the £280m invested was probably far higher than 25% of his actual cash in the bank. Its a fair point you make but its just playing semantics really since Pardew is not a financial expert or economist and proportions of the investment into the club were made in 2008 after the crash when his wealth on paper plummeted.

In that case I'd hazard a guess that the larger proportion of season ticket holders in that stadium have invested 25% of what's being called wealth over the past 5 years.

I'm in for about £3k and I certainly don't have £12k sat in the bank waiting to be spent.

Nor will I see any return on that like he will.

Edited by Happy Face

In 2008 to 2009 that 25% figure was correct and trying to say 'he was worth more at the start of 2007' is a bit pejorative. As Gemmill says the thrust of what he says is correct.

The other controversial Pardew quote from the ST piece is that he has little sympathy for Hughton as the same happened to him, thats football. Not sure it comes over as he means it but i winced a little when reading it.

If you or anyone has a ST subscription then a copy and paste of the story would be appreciated.

In that case I'd hazard a guess that the larger proportion of season ticket holders in that stadium have invested 25% of what's being called wealth over the past 5 years.

I'm in for about £3k and I certainly don't have £12k sat in the bank waiting to be spent.

Surely there's a difference between a customer and a shareholder/bondholder?

:lol: I doubt it if they own their houses.

If you think you're onto something here, you should speak to your local landlord about getting a share of the pub :)

:lol: I doubt it if they own their houses.

If you think you're onto something here, you should speak to your local landlord about getting a share of the pub :)

You can't buy a season ticket with a house.