Alan Pardew - Poltroon sacked by a forrin team

Kid Dynamite

What does Pardew Deserve?  

90 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Sigh, for some reason I still harbour the hope Pards can make it here. Think he's a more down to earth, generally more likeable fellow than most managers around these days. Just wish he was better than most of them tactically as well :glare:

I think he's a twat. But hey, each to their own.

Think he's a more down to earth, generally more likeable fellow than most managers around these days.

Now how is this guy down to earth and more likeable? He's weak and selfish, has little self-awereness, no charisma, does nothing for the morale in the dressing room, his post-match interviews are unbelievable...on top of that he's a cockney thug enjoying the company of Llambias and Ashley. How does he appeal to you personalitywise? For me Pardew fails on every frikkin point for what it takes to be a good manager.

Now how is this guy down to earth and more likeable? He's weak and selfish, has little self-awereness, no charisma, does nothing for the morale in the dressing room, his post-match interviews are unbelievable...on top of that he's a cockney thug enjoying the company of Llambias and Ashley. How does he appeal to you personalitywise? For me Pardew fails on every frikkin point for what it takes to be a good manager.

Sssh man Aeris. It's really, really boring.

Get a youtube of Barca on or watch BVB later man. Stop pretending to be a lass.

Guys I don't think Aeris likes Pardew.

Was it the slightly different font that makes it seem like she's copy pasted someone else's opinion from another site that tipped you off?

:lol:

I like the fact he admits his mistakes. When we play piss poor he's not afraid to say so. Just because I dont think he's a great manager doesnt mean I ignore he's a lot less cuntish than many other managers.

Too bad he's not able to rectify his team's weaknesses despite identifying them.

Edited by aimaad22

Sigh, for some reason I still harbour the hope Pards can make it here. Think he's a more down to earth, generally more likeable fellow than most managers around these days. Just wish he was better than most of them tactically as well :glare:

I'd go along with that although I think it's more of an act than I'd like to admit.

That's definitely not true. All cash transferred to Ashley from NUFC has corresponded exactly with a reduction in the loan balance. He hasn't drawn a salary, nor has he taken any dividends.

Ah right, thanks man . Money's not my thing (clearly ! :) )

I'd got confused in the quicksand of my m!nd$ .

Was it the slightly different font that makes it seem like she's copy pasted someone else's opinion from another site that tipped you off?

Didn't do it, it just happens sometimes. Maybe I furiosly push some buttons that makes it bigger without intending to do it.

I think there's a good chance he'll be sacked by Christmas unless he changes his approach or his staff. His record suggests mediocrity and a man out of his depth in the big time, with 5th place being an aberration. I hope I'm wrong.

That's definitely not true. All cash transferred to Ashley from NUFC has corresponded exactly with a reduction in the loan balance. He hasn't drawn a salary, nor has he taken any dividends.

Whilst you did give me a good beating over my personal take on the accounts, I would argue that its not a simple as that - given that he's tied it to Sports Direct as far as advertising revenue goes.

He draws profit and dividend from Sports Direct, he gave "Free" advertising to it from NUFC ... So in part he probably has had a few mil out of the club, but indirectly (and finally this is something I think is fact, rather than conjecture)

I reckon if hes cutting costs for Sports Direct, by using NUFC - that can still be seen as taking money out the club - if he'd offered NIKE the kind of coverage he's had for SD, it would cost them millions.

I wish I had more, cos my spidey sense says Mike must have ulterior motives, maybe this will stick a bit ?

On topic, I'm perhaps one of the dying minority on here who thinks that its a good thing we're giving Pardew another year. I blame most of this on the board, I've said before I believe any manager would struggle with the deck hes been given. But to be perfectly honest, its more a case of better the devil the know - I just can't see us getting anyone "as good" as him as a replacement - now that's a sobering thought.

I think the fact there were quite a few well known managers free this time around got us hoping a bit, even though we knew the chances of the fat one having enough ambition to try and get one of them were next to none.

Whilst you did give me a good beating over my personal take on the accounts, I would argue that its not a simple as that - given that he's tied it to Sports Direct as far as advertising revenue goes.

He draws profit and dividend from Sports Direct, he gave "Free" advertising to it from NUFC ... So in part he probably has had a few mil out of the club, but indirectly (and finally this is something I think is fact, rather than conjecture)

I reckon if hes cutting costs for Sports Direct, by using NUFC - that can still be seen as taking money out the club - if he'd offered NIKE the kind of coverage he's had for SD, it would cost them millions.

I wish I had more, cos my spidey sense says Mike must have ulterior motives, maybe this will stick a bit ?

Fair enough point.

However, the fact that SJP is covered in SD advertising would suggest we haven't had any offers worth taking from Nike etc.

It'd be interesting to see how much we are potentially missing out on. Maybe £500k a year ish at a guess.

Again, that argument doesn't hold up.

Mike Ashley owns 64% of Sports Direct, therefore £1m of free advertising to SD is really only worth £640k to Mike Ashley personally (ignoring tax and dividend scenarios). Had the club taken £1m directly from the likes of Nike then that £1m could have been given tax free to Ashley as part of the capital repayment on his loan. So therefore, it would be more advantageous to have a third party paying the market rate for the advertising rather than gifting it to SD.

http://www.football-analysis.com/newcastle-united-20122013/?http%3A%2F%2Fwww.football-analysis.com%2Fnewcastle-united-20122013%2F%3F

Decent read that, although much of that has been discussed here at length already. An extract from above:

"Minor details aside, personally, the most disappointing factor of this season is the fact that Pardew is concluding his 3rd season in charge at Newcastle and we are still yet to see the outline of a long term plan. When a team is winning it is easy to look past this, as was the case in last season’s distant memory. This year, with results vastly different, one naturally starts to look deeper to find assurances that there are positive signs of growth elsewhere. One only has to look at Liverpool’s current situation to see why a club of their size has become so acceptable of a 7th place finish – purely because anyone can see Brendan Rodgers has a clear philosophy of how he wants his side to play and they are forfeiting short term gains for what they believe will be long term success.

Is this happening at Newcastle? After 3 seasons under Pardew’s leadership it’s hard to put a discernible finger on what brand of football we specialize in (besides officially becoming a second ball team). Pardew does not have full control over transfers and even so if he does want a certain style implemented, he would struggle to bring in all the players he feels are best suited to it. Questions of team selection, tactics, set pieces aside, when it comes down to a long term vision and style, under Alan Pardew’s management, what is Newcastle United?"

• 1 month later...

Tell us where you are with regard to your working relationship with JFK:

It's quite simple really - that for whatever reason Mike(Ashley) and Derek (Llambias) - something had happened there and the relationship had broken down somewhat.

"I'm sad to see Derek go because he's done a great job for the club and I'll miss him.

"With that out of the way, that had to be replaced that role and what Mike decided to do was employ a football person to do that job in Joe (Kinnear), so really and truly my position hasn't changed.

"Joe has come to do Derek's job - the most important thing for me is that I have a seven year contract to manage this football team.

"I've not said anything but trust me, anyone who knows me will tell you will tell you that in my career I've not let anyone step on my toes. I will be my own man because ultimately I carry the responsibility of the team.

"Now the team last year for me didn't function as well as it should have. Having said that, if we win the last game we would have been in a completely different position - a somewhat false position in my opinion.

"So I'm under no illusions that we need to improve on that. Whether we can reach the heights when we finished fifth remains is yet to be seen.

"But I've come back. I'm re-energised. I'm hoping that Joe does as good a job as Derek if not better in terms of persuading Mike and pushing Mike to get us the players that I feel we need."

Do you feel comfortable with a director of football?

"I've been involved with clubs where if you take the title away, it's a similar role.

"I had Les Reed at Southampton; I had the Chairman at Southampton who was quite influential - probably more influential than Joe has any intention of being - so I have got experience of it.

"When I was at West Ham I had Trevor Brooking to lean on so I've had good experiences and bad experiences of it.

"I'm very open minded to Joes position and I'll take it as I see it, but one thing that you need to know and people who work with me will know - I'm my own man, I'll manage this football club, manage this team to the best of my ability.

"I think that on the back of last year, I'm even more motivated to do well this year."

Does this change help or hinder your cause?

"Well I think some of things that Joe said he's apologised for, especially getting the names wrong of our players. I think that needs to be corrected because there's a certain respect needed there.

"I spoke to one or two players this morning and made them very aware (and my staff here) of where the position lies. But it's very, very simple for me: If Joe can persuade Mike to invest in the football club in the right manner then that will bee the best outcome for us.

"And as well as we've done on the transfer market, there's always room for improvement. I spoke to Joe, I've had a couple of meetings with him and I've told him what I think the weaknesses in the side and in the squad are, because let's be fair it's a squad not a side.

"And I've told him need to strengthen them and I've got a couple of ideas. You could say he's not fulfilling the role that Derek had to a degree but Lee Charnley (football secretary) will fill the other part of that role.

"He does a brilliant job, Lee Charnley, and between myself, Lee and Joe we hope to get some transfers over the line and some out by the way, because the squad is probably a little thick in some areas."

How do you get a striker over the line with the current personnel:

"I'm not sure what the worry would be on that - because it's no different to what we had before to a degree.

"Graham (Carr) comes up with one or two suggestions, I come up with one or two suggestions and we probably have a list of four that myself and Graham think will take the team forward.

"We present that to Joe and Joe presents that to the owner. Joe has to kind of dress that up to the owner in terms of finance and how is it going to work.

"Then Lee Charnley comes in and hopefully we get the player over the line - I think that is no different to what we had before.

"I think Joe's experience of what he's had as a manager, Mike feels that he probably knows the scene slightly better than Derek might be Mike's opinion.

"But as far as I am concerned the most important factor for Joe is transfers."

Are you more or less confident with regard to incoming transfers than at the end of last season?

Certainly since January when we brought in the influx of players - Moussa (Sissoko), Mapou (Yanga-Mbwia),(Mas)Sadio (Haidara) who did very well for us and have got six months under their belt and they're gonna be better next year.

"We've got World Cup year and I would suggest we have ten players or maybe more than that who could get to the World Cup so it's a very important year.

"The pre-season, i've made my statement today to them(the players) about what it's gonna be like. It's been tough today and it's gonna get tough.

"We've got some new knowledge in and around us that I'm not gonna explain at this particular time and we've got some new ideas.

"It's about taking the team forward. We have some great players here. If you take away the Europa League last season where would we have finished? We would have got four more points for sure that would have put us tenth, which probably everyone would have accepted.

"But the performances for me were what was disappointing. We didn't control games like we did the year before when I was looking for more control.

"I think we got a little bit "painting by numbers" rather than a natural game, we were diligent but not flowing. That's what we need to get going in pre-season. We need to get that confidence back , that flow back.

"And we're gonna struggle in terms that We've got Man City away in our first game to initially hit that but I hope we do, soon.

"I'm very confident that some of the players who I think last year were probably just a bit below par - I'm not going to name any names - with the World Cup round the corner are gonna show how good they are and that will take the team forward in itself.

"We've got a good team here, good staff. We've had stability here for three years and I'm gonna protect that. I'm going to protect my players, protect my staff and protect our fans because I wanna give 'em the best I can."

Pressure of media scrutiny on NUFC:

"The spotlight will be on us outside of the top four, five or six maybe you could argue.

"The spotlight will turn on us and if our results are not great then it's gonna just crank it up and they'll lose interest with the top of the table and start focusing on our situation, so we need to put that to bed.

"Ultimately, forgetting about spin, forgetting about everything else talked about in the media and what I can say before the season or now, it's gonna be about results and we need to see them results.

"I think the first ten games for any manager in the Premiership is where it lies really. Last year I thought we were OK after 10 games. The year before we excelled, so anything between that I'll be absolutely delighted."

The fixtures have been relatively kind to you?

"It's always difficult to say in the Premier League what a decent game is actually. I'm not unhappy with Man City away first game.

"As you say, a new manager, new ideas - I know how he plays, I ain't gotta see them pre-season to know how they're gonna play, they're play a high press and get after us and that'll be the personnel might find that difficult to grasp, so we will be going into the unknown a little bit there.

"But it's about what we do and I think last year we didn't do enough. We was always focusing on them rather than them focusing on us. We've got make sure we impose ourself, our game on to the opposition more than we did last year. Get a grip early and not release it.

"There were games last year we had a good grip. I think off the top of my head at Stoke we had a good grip of the game at a crucial point of the season and let it slip.

"And that was our problem last year, we got into good positions particularly on the road and let it slip, we can't let that happen this year.

"You know our home form was pretty solid up until the end part but it's the away form that needs to be addressed and we need to threaten the goal more.

"You say I need a striker because that's what I said at the back end of last year.

"Of course we need another striker - we need a top striker in this place because we did not threaten the goal enough and if you don't threaten the goal enough then you're always liable then for the opposition to dictate to you. They don't fear you and then you're in trouble."

Are you in a position to spend the amount of money needed to get a top-flight striker?

"Well, I'm now looking at Joe. Joe's here, he said he wants to get us a striker and I'm pretty sure that he wants to do that. Every sign he's given me is that he couldn't do any more to get one over the line at the minute.

"So myself and Graham and Joe and Lee Charnley - don't forget him in all of this - have got very important roles in securing the right player."

Departures of messrs Harper, Simpson and Perch reducing home-grown contingent?:

"We've got to keep an eye on that. I've said before that I don't think we should sit here and be (xenophobic) about who's from where and whatever and what race or what colour they are, that's irrelevant.

"But what we do want is people who want to play for Newcastle and gonna give 100%. We do need to keep an eye on that British one a little bit because of the rules that UEFA have in place, but let's just talk about the players first.

"Harps, obviously, has been a brilliant servant to this football club. Words probably can't sum it up what he's done for this football club.

"Danny Simpson I think has been a terrific servant, for the ability he had. I thought we got the maximum out of Danny and he's gone to a great club and we really wish him well and he's a terrific lad.

"Perchy is a little bit different because in an ideal world perhaps I should have kept him here, because I think he done a great job for us in the time that I've been here.

"He's been brilliant for this football team but there does come a point where you can't you know…. I took him out when perhaps he's played well, maybe (Yohan) Cabaye was coming back or (Cheick) Tiote or Sissoko was fit or whatever and I think you can only do that so much to a player.

"And I thought at the time it was right for James to go and play and he wanted to play every week, he didn't want to play that role every week and I can understand that.

"I was (in) that role at Crystal Palace and it wasn't me. I was a player who wanted to play, who wanted to be in the nuts and bolts of it, I didn't want to sit on the bench or in the stand.

"So therefore that decision was made I think in the right way, in the right manner as well. He walks out of here with his head held very very high and we can say he done a great job for us."

Should that sale have waited to see how the transfer window pans out?

"I don't think so. We can't sit on our hands, we must take the club forward and if James wasn't going to be a first team player and there was an opportunity elsewhere then he should go.

"We should make sure that we have in place players who can come through and carry the mantle.

"Vurnon Anita has had one year from Dutch football, trust me you go and watch a Dutch game and go and watch a Premier League game, there's a million miles between them. So he's got a year of experience under his belt, Moussa's got six months.

We've got Cabaye, we've got Tiote, we have (Gael)Bigirimana whose just represented England U20, we have(Haris) Vuckic who's fit, we have Dan Gosling, I mean come on, we've plenty of options.

"Full backs now we've got plenty of options as well because Mapou has shown left back is no problem and right back certainly won't be a problem. That's his more natural side, so all across the back I think we're OK, I really do.

"I'd think I'd like to strengthen the left side a little bit and I'd certainly like to strengthen up the top of the pitch.

"I've always been very positive about my own ability; about what I think the team should do.

"I was disappointed on the sidelines last year with the performances, nothing more. The fans never upset me once if I'm honest.

"A couple of the media I thought were a little bit personal, as managers you have to wear that and take that on the chin and I'm long enough in the tooth to be able to do that.

"On the whole, I thought the fans were pretty tolerant if I'm honest and as you say, I lost a few fans along the way. I've gotta win 'em back. So I intend to do that and that's really how my mind works.

"I look at the squad and I think we've got a good squad. We don't have the inexperience that we had last year of Europe.

"I know people talk about excuses of Europe, injuries or whatever, same old same old, but was it was an impact - you can't get away from it. Swansea are gonna find out this year when they play Thursday to Sunday - we ain't got that.

"I'm looking forward to giving these players a week's work and then a game, week's work and then a game. If you look at my record with that it's very good in the Premier League when I've had that period.

"The two cups last year were deeply disappointing, they fell at very difficult times for us particularly the FA Cup.

"We really did put a team out that I've got to be honest, it really upset me that team because I know sometimes fans think oh you know a manager's not emotional as them, they're more emotional, trust me that's not the case.

"I'm almost an adopted Geordie, trust me and on my travels I've seen many fans this summer and they've all relayed to me that they really want us to do better than last year and I do as well.

"My message to them really and truly is that I've got a seven year contract left to manage this football club and I'm gonna manage it to the best of my ability and I hope that what we wish for is what I can deliver."

Edited by Andrew

If we're shit this year I wonder what excuse he will use. The loss of Llambias? The arrival of Jokey?

Edited by trophyshy