Alan Pardew - Poltroon sacked by a forrin team

Kid Dynamite

What does Pardew Deserve?  

90 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

While it was harsh on Hughton that Pardew was offered the job of replacing him while he was still here it was more beneficial for us rather than sacking him and then scratching our heads looking for a replacement.

It was less than 2 months rather than 6 from what I remember with a reprieve coming after beating Sunderland and Arsenal back to back.

I don't think we can have the slightest complaint about Pardew given where we are at the moment. He's done a very good job given the circumstances and I don't imagine many other managers could have done so well. His excellent manipulation of PR can also only be a good thing for our club.

It's all a bit 'meh' right now...

I've been happy enough with Pardew's reign, he seems like he cares and generally his tactics have been alright. Our biggest downfall is our lack of depth, which we can still lay at the door of the fat man. It might be a bit raw after the Brighton match but imo there's only so much a bloke can do if he's working on a shoe-string and having to fight to keep his best players (I know, someone's going to say we just bought Cisse but one signing doesn't even the amount of players sold and not seen a return on).

He got it wrong upfront tonight for me. Tactically there was no connection between the front three at all. His error and therefore he has to take the blame. Wasn't a complete dereliction mind (Brighton did nowt to us at the back in a cup tie in their own back yard, so that was to his credit), more a failure to respond with the right changes during the course of the game. In part I think that's because he had Ben Arfa on from the start (as everyone demands), so basically he didn't have him to bring off the bench as the obvious link up. That's not a go at playing Ben Arfa from the start on the one hand or an attempt to excuse Pardew's failure to make the right changes on the other, just very matter of factly how I see it.

He got it wrong upfront tonight for me. Tactically there was no connection between the front three at all. His error and therefore he has to take the blame. Wasn't a complete dereliction mind (Brighton did nowt to us at the back in a cup tie in their own back yard, so that was to his credit), more a failure to respond with the right changes during the course of the game. In part I think that's because he had Ben Arfa on from the start (as everyone demands), so basically he didn't have him to bring off the bench as the obvious link up. That's not a go at playing Ben Arfa from the start on the one hand or an attempt to excuse Pardew's failure to make the right changes on the other, just very matter of factly how I see it.

Think the strikers should have been told to play closer together once it looked like we weren't really in danger of scoring and Hatem asked to drift inside to create the extra link man. Agree with the rest.

Think the strikers should have been told to play closer together once it looked like we weren't really in danger of scoring and Hatem asked to drift inside to create the extra link man. Agree with the rest.

Aye, would go along with that. Brighton had firmly established the fact they didnt have anything to trouble our midfield so he should have been confident enough to leave it to a midfield three with Barfa sitting ahead of it to receive the ball and run at their back four/pick out either of two outright strikers.

Although HTT has had a few brushes with the men in white coats of late...He just rattled off a Pards post with a few good talking points in it IMO.

HTT

xx.gif

Replacing Pardew

« Reply #17180 on: Today at 08:11:23 PM »

"I'll get stick for this but I don't give a fuck.

If we are to move on as a team we need a better tactician and someone who is more confident in his players than Pardew who lacks tactical nous even in basic terms and doesn't seem to trust his players like he should, especially the likes of Ben Arfa. Time and time again we are being undone by negative tactics or just plain and simple poor tactics and also being hampered by weird or wrong team selections. How the likes of Taylor get a game at right wing over Ben Arfa for example defies belief. How someone could play Joey Barton at left-wing also defies belief. These are constant fuck-ups by Pardew regarding team-selection and tactics and its costing usa lot.

In the year or so he's been in charge our football hasn't really changed despite the quality of our players improving massively in key areas and for me being 6th under Pardew feels similar to the year we finished 7th under Roeder. You get the sense (well I do) that it is in spite of rather than because of. Pardew arguably has the best set of players in terms of the first-team we've had since Sir Bobby's days yet wek in week out we play poor football in the main with the odd cameo 10-20 minute spell, most notably against Fulham (apparently), Man Utd at home and Spurs. In general though we've been poor and have had to relie on good defending, goalkeeping heroics and the goals of Ba.

Of course all teams have to rely on X and X at times but the better sides rely less on individuals than the team itself and I feel under Pardew unless Ba isn't scoring for example or Colo isn't emperious at the back we are neither here nor there and will always struggle because tactically he's useless in short as he's shown.

I strongly believe under a better tactician and a more positive manager we'd easily be sat in fourth right now and most certainly wouldn't be out of the FA Cup. We went to Brighton with a game plan not to lose and that's detrimental to the players we have who need to be let off the leash if you like, especially players like Ben Arfa who seems shit scared to make a mistake and so plays or tries to play this conservative kind of game which just isn't him and actually makes him look turbo shit as was evidenced today.

With 20 minutes to go at home to QPR Pardew instructs the side tactically and selection wise (via his subs) to kill the game. At home? To QPR? From a winning position? He did likewise away to Fulham and was embarrassingly handed his arse tactically by Jol.

And speaking of the Dutchman, it pains me to see that Fulham, QPR and the mackems to name three clubs have better in the dugout than we do.

Its clear as day that these days the manager of Newcastle has two roles, to manage players and to coach and while Pardwew has built on what was an already strong team spirit and seems a good motivator, he brings little in terms of tactics and coaching. We play poor football despite having very good footballers.

If we are to improve as a team, bearing in mind we will always recruit good players under Carr et al, we need to improve the coaching and tactics and that means replacing Pardew.

The scouts seem to perfer up and coming talent from abroad, I suggest the likes of Carr start looking at coaches from that context too if we are to keep improving.

We are in a better position in the table thus far under Pardew than we were under Hughton but footballing wise we have not improved and nor has our tactics, if anything Hughton's tactics were better. We seemed to have more of a game plan. It is no coincidence though that Pardew has better players at his disposal. A better manager than him will only improve us further. Stcikm with him and nights like tonight will become more and more common as eventually turned out at West Ham, Charlton et al.

His track record suggests he doesn't have enough in his locker to ever do something special as a manager and we have the nucleus of a side that can do something special. You know, like maybe go all the way in I don't know, the FA Cup?

Not with the likes of Pardwew and his piss poor tactics, fucked up team selections and negativity, though.

Now fire away... "

Edited by Park Life

getting rid of pardew would be worse then getting rid of hughton

Yeah but HTT is a bit mad. :lol:

Setting that aside there seems some truth in those ramblings.

Edited by Park Life

getting rid of pardew would be worse then getting rid of hughton

Yeah but HTT is a bit mad. :lol:

Setting that aside there seems some truth in those ramblings.

He's only ever the slenderest grip on reality. I think it's premised too much around the fact Ben Arfa had little impact today, as though if/when he does, it'll be due to Pardew's tactics alone. It's just an unrealistic view.

Agree with others that the 4-3-3 simply didn't work with the 3 we had today, Shola can't lead the line alone and Best can't have an impact out wide left. That was Pardew's fault but tbh the players themselves looked very lackluster, it'll be interesting to see how he reacts to this one against Blackburn if he begins with the same formation and front 3 then I'll be worried.

I think he's a decent enough manager and has done a very good job for us so far, certain parts of the fan base are getting very snobby very quick if in our 2nd season back in the premiership and in 6th position they're calling for the manager to be replaced. We've got to look at this game from all perspectives tbh aye the tactics were bad and Pardew didn't react but we were missing 4 (discounting Taylor) first teamers and I think if Ba, Cisse, Tiote and Colo had of been playing we'd of won today, I know 'some' sides can cope well with a few of the first team out but unfortunately that just isn't us at the moment.

Guest CabayeAye

Pardew seems to get it wrong more often than he gets it right. I think that the outstanding players in our team just paper over that. The fact that we only had 2 of our fantastic 5 playing today meant that the 433 was never going to work. Should have just done 442 and kept it tight.

Pardew seems to get it wrong more often than he gets it right. I think that the outstanding players in our team just paper over that. The fact that we only had 2 of our fantastic 5 playing today meant that the 433 was never going to work. Should have just done 442 and kept it tight.

If he had gone out to "keep it tight at the back", and we'd drew 0-0 he'd probs have got a hammering on here, wouldnt he? Definitely a bad day at the office today, but why everyone wants to be the first to press the self destruct button is beyond me!, I'll bet my left nut that the same people calling for his head were waxing lyrical after the Man U game! What's worse is I reckon there's some "fans" couldnt wait to hit the internet/pub/phones to say "i told you so". At a base level SOME part of them will have been happy to see Brighton net one!

This "fan" was fucking livid when the ball hit the back of the net. We could've beat brighton but he persisted with wasting Jonas and Ben arfa in a 433 and taking a chance that brighton wouldn't get a lucky break. We have the makings of a good side, the two mancs are already out of the cup and this was a good opportunity for us to have a crack at actually winning the cup. Brighton didn't even have to play well to beat us. Not one ounce of me is happy that its another year added to our barren spell. Pardew's done a decent job but he played a big part in us getting knocked out last night.

For months the cry has been that Ben arfa on the wing will win games cos Obertan was to blame for every game we lost. Now Pardew puts Ben arfa there and somehow he has wasted him.

I'm not saying one game vindicates the amount of time Ben arfa spent on the bench, but the grief pardew is getting for doing what's been touted on here for months is daft.

Just one of them nights.

I liked the bit in the other article about him going over to Germany to learn how they do things when he was in between jobs. Your average manager would be in the golf course, or in Dubai by the pool.

Until he actually gets a job, then he's plastered on the front page of the Sunday rags living it up.

I think people underrate Pardew tactical at times, sure he's made some bad decisions but mostly he's been fairly decent, certainly the games where we've been exposed have been outnumbered by the matches we've been tactically astute.

I thought that post from the other website was pretty stupid in the way that he complained about Ryan Taylor starting over HBA. Ryan Taylor was brought in for the United game where we wanted to keep things tight and most play lofted balls up to the strikers, an approach which plays to Taylor's strengths. He's obviously another one on the HBA bandwagon though, but Pardew has been right to leave him out at times even though he's obviously one of our most talented players there are games where we'll be playing against teams when we can't get away with having a player who gives the ball away so often.

Obviously we could do with a more tactically astute manager but would said manager be able to get the best out of the players and create the sort of unity Pardew has? I think there are very few managers around who could do that and I can certainly think of a fair few managers we've had in the past who have been partly responsible for creating a really volatile atmosphere in our dressing room. We're going places with Pardew, it's clear that we're being noticed around Europe as being a notch above the rest of the also rans in our League and the incredibly professional way Pardew has approached the job is definitely a factor in that.

He's got his weaknesses but all managers do and anyone suggestion that we get rid of him at the moment is madness ffs.

For those who missed my post last week i've been asked to write about North East football for a local blog... you can check out my 1st entry called Twente Twente Vision here (it's boro related tho) http://thenortheasthub.com/blog/

My next article will be about The Toon, and I need a picture of Pardew. Does anyone have one?

It needs to have been taken by you, and you need to state you took it and are happy for me to use it.

I know it's unlikely but if anyone does have a pic I'd be very grateful and would also give you credit in the article for having taken the pic.

Cheers

Andy