Alan Pardew - Poltroon sacked by a forrin team

Kid Dynamite

What does Pardew Deserve?  

90 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

His record of three wins in 21 games leaves him with the joint-lowest win percentage alongside Nobby Stiles. It’s even worse than Pep Mel’s three in 17.

But two of Pardew’s wins came in the FA Cup, and one of those was against a team in the fourth tier. Stiles picked up more draws too.

The results speak for themselves. Pardew has taken the club from just above the relegation zone to adrift at the bottom of the table, 10 points from safety.

But his disastrous four-month tenure will be remembered for far more than just the defeats.

Off-field controversies and high-profile fall-outs with senior players lost him respect in the dressing room.

Pardew may have been a great PR man in the press room, where he said all the right things, particularly early on, but it masked his deficiencies in the dugout.

He was obsessed with being everything Tony Pulis was not, because he thought that was what the fans wanted, and it proved to be his downfall.

There was an early warning sign when he played three strikers in his first game in charge, not because it was tactically the right thing to do against Crystal Palace, but because he wanted to make a ‘little bit of a statement’.

He persisted with two strikers after that, even for games when it left the team overrun in midfield.

It wasn’t until Chris Brunt’s furious rant in the dressing room after the home defeat to Huddersfield that he realised he needed to adapt.

The way he treated young players like Sam Field and Oliver Burke was borderline disgraceful.

Field was playing well when he arrived, and had just scored against Newcastle, but he shunted the young fan favourite out to left wing at Swansea, his second game in charge, in order to manufacture his removal from the side.

The teenager was hooked at half-time and wasn’t seen again until a trip to champions-in-waiting Manchester City, where he was made a sacrificial lamb.

Before the game, Pardew asked Field over and over again if he was ‘s***ing himself’ in front of the rest of the squad. If this was supposed to be a motivational tool, it was grossly misjudged.

Burke, too, was publicly shamed for crossing the ball into the box against West Ham in injury time with the scores level, just days after Pardew had urged his team to take more risks in order to win games.

The Hammers went up the other end and scored, but it was not the rest of team’s fault, who let the hosts sweep through them with ease, it was Burke’s.

His mistreatment of the youngsters didn’t go down well with the rest of the squad.

Those senior professionals Pardew put all his trust in, repaid him by questioning his authority.

Barcelona was the nadir. Not only was it booked because Pardew expected the team to lose to Liverpool in the FA Cup, he then decided to go through with it even though Albion only had four full days in between games.

Taxi-gate is destined to go down in Albion folklore, and the players deserve to shoulder a lot of the blame for this season, but those early-morning actions show exactly the sort of atmosphere Pardew had created at the club.

Afterwards, the head coach claimed they broke a 12am curfew, but there has been some suggestion that no such curfew was ever in place.

The night before, Pardew had lost his wallet, phone, and jacket on an evening out.

Albion trained for three hours in total. It was a booze cruise intended to build morale, but it turned into a nightmare.

Pardew’s reaction was unsatisfactory. By keeping Jonny Evans and Gareth Barry in the team for the FA Cup game against Southampton days later, he proved himself to be a spineless leader.

He had no control of his squad, even then, and should have been sacked after that ill-advised trip.

Fans started to see through the PR which had initially won them round, and players too began to openly criticise him.

Eyewitnesses claim Grzegorz Krychowiak told him to ‘f*** off’ when Pardew hooked him during the home match with Leicester.

The Pole, who had played quite well in the first half, hasn’t been seen since.

On Saturday, when Pardew changed formation several times in a disastrous first half, his orders were received with confused looks by those on the pitch.

Two board members have already lost their jobs partly because he was employed, and now Pardew has finally left.

The smooth operator who took Albion on a rough ride, he’s been a dead man walking for some weeks now.

Hopefully it will bring about a positive finish to a poisonous season, as fans rally around Darren Moore for the final six games.

Pardew, meanwhile, will struggle to get another job in the top tier after this. And he is surely destined to go down as one of Albion’s worst ever managers

Read more at https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2018/04/02/comment---alan-pardew-destined-to-go-down-as-one-of-west-broms-worst-ever-managers/#RHcFZDdXgdRrbGPb.99.

• Like 2

Has anyone checked in on Paddy Barclay, Ian Wright, Mark Bright and the rest of the pundits. I know they'll be busy penning their apologies to Newcastle fans as we speak, but it must be with heavy hearts and if we're honest, they're the real victims in all of this.

1 hour ago, The Fish said:

Has anyone checked in on Paddy Barclay, Ian Wright, Mark Bright and the rest of the pundits. I know they'll be busy penning their apologies to Newcastle fans as we speak, but it must be with heavy hearts and if we're honest, they're the real victims in all of this.

Speaking about Pardew's departure from West Brom after just four months in charge, Wright questioned the respect the players had for their former manager.

"It looks to me that at no stage did they accept him as a manager and respect him enough to play in a way that would get them out of trouble," he told 5 live's Monday Night Club.

Speaking on the same programme, former Chelsea striker Chris Sutton said Pardew had been let down by some of his senior players in what is one of the Premier League's most experienced squads.

Pardew's exit comes six weeks after four of his players were accused of stealing a taxi during a training camp in Barcelona.

"There's an argument that some players should be sacked as well," said Sutton. "He's gone in there with a bunch of pirates and they look like they have plotted to get him to walk the plank. 

"The senior players have been a disgrace."

"He has been a successful manager in the past, that's why he got the job," he said.

"When you look at the way senior players have let him down, he might think, 'I've had enough, I don't want to go back into this rat race'."

4 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Speaking about Pardew's departure from West Brom after just four months in charge, Wright questioned the respect the players had for their former manager.

"It looks to me that at no stage did they accept him as a manager and respect him enough to play in a way that would get them out of trouble," he told 5 live's Monday Night Club.

Speaking on the same programme, former Chelsea striker Chris Sutton said Pardew had been let down by some of his senior players in what is one of the Premier League's most experienced squads.

Pardew's exit comes six weeks after four of his players were accused of stealing a taxi during a training camp in Barcelona.

"There's an argument that some players should be sacked as well," said Sutton. "He's gone in there with a bunch of pirates and they look like they have plotted to get him to walk the plank. 

"He has been a successful manager in the past, that's why he got the job," he said.

"When you look at the way senior players have let him down, he might think, 'I've had enough, I don't want to go back into this rat race'."

I just made the mistake of checking the comments on that article, they're absolutely eating it up, "he done a good job at newcastle".

Pardew will be back in a PL job next season

48 minutes ago, Andrew said:

I just made the mistake of checking the comments on that article, they're absolutely eating it up, "he done a good job at newcastle".

Pardew will be back in a PL job next season

I hope so. He's got enough money now anyway so I'll get more pleasure from seeing him ruin other clubs than I would from seeing him unemployed. Watching him fail is a thing to behold.

57 minutes ago, ewerk said:

:lol: Couldn't they just admit they were wrong for once?

11 hours ago, beatty said:

His record of three wins in 21 games leaves him with the joint-lowest win percentage alongside Nobby Stiles....

Read more at https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2018/04/02/comment---alan-pardew-destined-to-go-down-as-one-of-west-broms-worst-ever-managers/#RHcFZDdXgdRrbGPb.99.

Absolutely spot on, that.

I must admit I'm surprised quite how badly he did there. Even Megson had them playing reasonably well in his two games.

Pardew normally seems to be able to get that initial bounce from man-management, even the likes of Nolan/Barton said he was decent in that respect. It's just when that fades, he's found out to be tactically inept.

Clearly here he came in, senior players were totally unconvinced by his appointment, he failed to win them over and then alienated the younger players too.

2 hours ago, ewerk said:

I mean, good grief!

Even if that's true, even if the senior players didn't respect him, why aren't the ex-pros providing comments asking why? Why is Gareth Barry, a respected and respectable professional acting like a kid on his first holiday with the parents? That article mentions his treatment of two young players and if the accounts are true, it's fucking disgraceful. Perhaps things like that meant the senior players couldn't bring themselves to give him the respect his performance and behaviour doesn't deserve.

I think Gareth Barry, irrespective of how shit Pardew is, should be above that kind of thing tbh. I imagine he intends to retire at the end of the year and just doesn't give a shit anymore.

Pardew just sounds like he's been found out IMO. If the mackems love him so much though, they're welcome to him. Wasn't he in League One when we picked him up anyway?

I wonder what it takes for Chris Sutton to accept that Pardew is a fraud of a manager and a stupid egotistical wanker. I bet the senior players saw right through him.

11 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I think Gareth Barry, irrespective of how shit Pardew is, should be above that kind of thing tbh. I imagine he intends to retire at the end of the year and just doesn't give a shit anymore.

Pardew just sounds like he's been found out IMO. If the mackems love him so much though, they're welcome to him. Wasn't he in League One when we picked him up anyway?

He was out of a job from (the then League One) Southampton

21 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Sure, but don't you remember when a substitute teacher came in to cover and you could smell the fear on them? Even the best behaved kids in the class would be dicking about. I warmly remember Mrs Firth on the brink of tears as our top set English GCSE class set fire to paper airplanes and launched them about the room.

It was there that I knew that I belonged. To me, it meant being somebody in the neighborhood that was full of nobodies. They weren’t like anybody else. I mean, they did whatever they wanted. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Alex said:

:lol: Couldn't they just admit they were wrong for once?

:lol: It’s fucking staggering. They honestly think it’s more likely that a group of well respected, seasoned pros, like Evans, Barry etc would conspire against Pardew than the more likely reason that Pardews a poor manager, failed to motivate the group, then apparently set the mood of that trip by going on a bender and losing his stuff the night before Barry and them nicked a taxi. 

Why are they still even making excuses for him? Pundits are wrong on things all the time and often just change their story and act like that’s the opinion they’ve always held. 

• Like 1