Alan Pardew - Poltroon sacked by a forrin team

Kid Dynamite

What does Pardew Deserve?  

90 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

His wage is almost our entire XI ffs ;)

Im all for absurd scenarios but this one is just 10 echelons above anything I could stretch to.

The wages are putting INTER and MILAN off, ffs :lol:

Edited by Saltwater

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/footbal...ns-2363834.html

Pardew's unlikely lads flying high but he can't win over fans

There may well come a time when we will be wondering whatever happened to Alan Pardew's unlikely lads.

Indeed, while the new-look Newcastle continue to occupy the dizzy height of fourth place in the Premier League table, the default mood setting among many followers of the black and whites remains stuck somewhere in the vicinity of the downcast Bob Ferris in the film version of The Likely Lads. "In the chocolate box of life the top layer's already gone – and someone's pinched the orange cream from the bottom," he memorably pondered.

Still, for all of the Toon Army's deep resentment of Mike Ashley's presence at the top layer of their beloved club, of the pinching of Andy Carroll, Kevin Nolan and Joey Barton by opposition clubs, of the lack of re-investment in high-profile replacements, the Magpies are flying high and a feel-good factor is threatening to impinge on the negativity. Pardew's side travel to Wolves today on an unbeaten run of eight matches in all competitions this season – six in the league, two in the Carling Cup.

Newcastle have not been undefeated for so long at the start of a campaign since 1994-95. Not that Pardew has been giving himself and his players a pat on the back. "If you do that, you end up with egg on your face," the Newcastle manager said. "I've spoken to a few of the guys about making sure that we say the right things. It's very important that we just keep working hard.

"Our midfield stats have come through and we're the hardest-working group in the division. All those things add up and it's important we remember that it's hard work that's got us where we are."

It is to Pardew's credit that he has lost the guts of the side that took Newcastle to 12th last season – Barton, Nolan, Carroll, Jose Enrique – and yet retained the spirit and the substance that the St James' class of 2010-11 had about them.

In midfield, the French pair Gabriel Obertan and Yohan Cabaye have replaced the Scouse duo Barton and Nolan. Up front, the Paris-born Senegal international Demba Ba – scorer of all three goals in the 3-1 home win against Blackburn last Saturday – has assumed line-leading duties from the Geordie Carroll, who joined Liverpool for £35m more than the free-transfer acquisition from West Ham cost.

Factor in a defence that has conceded the fewest number of goals of all 92 League clubs (three to date) and you might think they would be singing Pardew's praises from the rooftops on Tyneside. You would be wrong. Ten months on from his appointment in place of the popular Chris Hughton, Pardew has yet to hear his name chanted by the Toon Army. He is still seen as Ashley's puppet, as the cover of the latest edition of one fanzine portrays him.

That might change if the man who guided West Ham to the 2006 FA Cup final keeps pulling the strings on the pitch all the way to Wembley. If his in-form side win their fourth-round Carling Cup tie at Blackburn on 26 October they will be through to the quarter-finals.

On the league front, though, Pardew is looking no further than today's trip to Wolverhampton, where the Magpies last won a top-flight fixture back in September 1958. Asked to evaluate his unlikely lads, he replied: "I honestly can't tell you how good we are. The signs that I'm getting suggest that we are a good side but I think we're a little more vulnerable. Last season we were a functional team. We could get goals at set-plays. We could eke out a result. This team isn't like that. This team is more about rhythm. And there's more things that can go wrong. Two or three lose confidence and it might not look the same. We've got all those battles to come. When we go down to 10 men, can we nick a result? When things really go against us, how are we going to react?"

No pats on the back just yet then for the Geordie untouchables – who were in fact shot down in midweek, in a paintballing contest. "The staff took the attack to the players," Pardew said. "We won on points."

My thoughts on Pardew is that he replaced a man nobody wanted replaced.

His 100% talk shows the buck doesn't stop with him, so it almost doesn't matter who the manager is as ultimately, Ashley will pull the rug out from under him to satisfy his mates. (Kk->Wise, Hughton->Pardew)

My thoughts on Pardew is that he replaced a man nobody wanted replaced.

His 100% talk shows the buck doesn't stop with him, so it almost doesn't matter who the manager is as ultimately, Ashley will pull the rug out from under him to satisfy his mates. (Kk->Wise, Hughton->Pardew)

he picks the team, chooses the tactics,motivates the players. Credit where credits due

.com

Conference side Gateshead have completed the loan signing of another Magpie reserve, with Jeff Henderson moving to the International Stadium for a month initially.

The 19 year-old central defender is yet to make his bow at senior level for United but appeared in our pre-season friendly at Darlington back in July and was named among the substitute for our recent Carling Cup win at Forest.

Hendo is in line to make his debut at Ebbsfleet United on Saturday and joins reserve team colleague Jak Alnwick at Gateshead. James Tavernier and Joan Edmundsson were both loaned to the Tynesiders last season.

Updates on United's other six current loan players:

Jak Alnwick (Gateshead): Jak was an unused sub as Gateshead lost 1-4 at home to Wrexham on Tuesday. Saturday sees them in Kent to face Ebbsfleet United.

Ole Soderberg (Darlington): The Magpies 'keeper will be on international duty this weekend for Sweden U21s, meaning that he'll miss Saturday's' trip to Bath City.

James Tavernier (Carlisle United):

Brentford (h), League One, Saturday.

Xisco (Deportivo la Coruna):

CD Alcoyano (a), Segunda Division, Saturday.

Kazenga LuaLua (Brighton & Hove Albion):

Hull City (h), Championship, Saturday October 15th.

Fraser Forster (Celtic):

Kilmarnock (a), SPL, Saturday October 15th.

Counting Jeff Henderson and previous loans for Michael Richardson (Leyton Orient), Ryan Donaldson (Tranmere Rovers) and Phil Airey (Hibernian), that's ten temporary departures now sanctioned by Alan Pardew this season - an unprecedented number of loans for this club.

Bit in bold/underlined is quite significant if you ask me.

The club has always seemed to have this strange aversion to sending players out on loan. Having them sitting around, occasionally playing a reserve match or sitting on the first team bench is just going to hinder their development. I'm fully in support of getting players out on loan for the experience. I'd encourage Pardew to sanction a loan move for Gosling and - if he's got any future at the club whatsoever - Ranger too.

Steve Harper has paid tribute to first-choice Newcastle goalkeeper Tim Krul but insisted he remains ready to do a job whenever he is called upon.

Alan Pardew decided to make Krul his No.1 at the start of the season and the Dutchman has responded in great style, turning in a series of assured performances to help the Magpies stay unbeaten.

Harper has been impressed by Krul and will continue to assist his younger club-mate in any way possible to help him fulfil his potential.

"The club made the decision to start with Tim at the start of the season and he has been outstanding," Harper told the Evening Chronicle.

"You can't take that away from him.

"Some games he has been quiet but against Fulham, the cup game against Forest, and Wolves he was outstanding.

"He has played a big part in the start to the season and I will continue to help him.

"He is a big player for the future and if I can help get the best out of him then it will only benefit the club."

Pardew plans to rotate his keepers to allow Rob Elliot to gain vital experience after his switch from Charlton, and Harper accepts his own opportunities may be even more limited.

But the 36-year-old's love for the club is unquestionable and he stated: "Of course it is. This is my 19th season as a pro.

"At the start of the season it was obvious the way it was, I had a few chats with the manager and he told me he wanted to bring somebody in with Fraser Forster being on loan, and that may become permanent, who knows?

"It was important to get somebody in. He's got Rob in now and when you are a young lad it is important to get involved as soon as possible.

"I have no problem with the rota system.

"Everybody knows I have a million T-shirts for sitting on the bench.

"It is good for Rob and it's good for the club to get him involved and immersed. It's a big jump from League One to this level.

"The manager has been first class. I read somewhere we have had a fall-out. We haven't had a fall-out.

"I've had several discussions with him and every one of them has been amicable.

"We have come out very positive and I fully endorse what he is doing regarding the bench."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,11678_7227277,00.html

After reading the above on what Harper thinks of the goalkeeping situation I'd rather see him sold now, the comments just wreak of being happy to be there and pick up a wage if I'm honest. What goalkeeper would be happy to be third-choice keeper, he just seems not arsed about being his place being took from Rob Elliott and is happy to sit about. If anyone else was in his position after finally regaining the number 1 shirt and then losing it you'd want to see a bit of fire to want to get it back but there seems as though theres none there.

I'd rather have Pardew pick Elliott on the bench than see Harper on it anytime soon

It sounds more like Harper's been told exactly what the situation is, which is that he's done playing for us, and so he's of course happy to keep collecting cheques. I don't think it's a lack of willingness to 'fight for his place' so much as it is that it's been made clear he won't be getting his place back.

The move to bring in Elliott only makes sense in a situation where we won't be using Harper again, otherwise we really didn't need him. Pardew also worked with Elliott before iirc and will probably favor him over another one of the Barton/Nolan type who were so strongly in support of Hughton.

Harper's never been interested in going elsewhere so he's hardly going to move at this stage of his career. Can't understand the Elliot transfer either (I could if he was the number 3 but it looks like he's the number 2). If they're trying to force Harper out I don't think they'll succeed.

Edited by alex

Is Elliot definitely no.2? It makes sense to play him in the early rounds of the CC and give him a few games on the bench so that if he is called upon then he won't be so fazed by it.

But if he is the no.2 then it's a puzzling decision.

He's been on the bench for League games ahead of Harper so I was basing it on that. Was Harper fit and available to play against Wolves? If he was then it looks like he's out the picture.

It doesn't change what he's being paid and at his age being so settled in the area I'd say it's unlikely he'd be looking for an immediate move. I think his contract is up next year though, so the feeling I get is that Ashley won't want to pay the wages Harper is on for a first choice keeper let alone a backup one and so there will be some effort to move him on in January. Failing that he'll be off next summer and a newly promoted or lower half Premier League side will pick themselves up a tidy, experienced competent keeper on a free-transfer.

Elliot hasn't shown much that's good, and has shown a fair bit that looks worrying so it would be strange that he'd be elevated into the deputy spot behind Krul. Harper has always done reasonably well when played, so the only motivation behind intentionally making him thrid string could be an attempt to make him more likely to leave in January?

We've also still got Forster in the picture who I can't see being worse than Elliot and has several years on him as well, so if Elliot doesn't improve they could always fall back on Fraser to deputise for Krul.