The Twitter Thread

peasepud

I would of been happy for Barton to be sacked after he got arrested, but I don't see anything wrong with his comments regarding suicide. Baffles me that anyone would be offended by it. For starters, Gary is unfortunately dead so he won't be offended by it, and his family and close friends will be upset because by his death, not a comment about suicide as a wider issue on a twitter feed. Storm in a teacup imo, people looking to lash out after a tragic event is understandable though.

Staggered by this post quite frankly. I know people, especially younger people concoct a view when they don't really have one, but he's probably still hanging there at 3pm on Sunday while the police and forensic people are on the scene, and that arsehole is debating the morality of suicide and whether selfishness comes in to it. 6 hours after he's done it, well thank god I was brought up with decency, and I appreciate not everyone else is, but thank god I am.

I would of been happy for Barton to be sacked after he got arrested, but I don't see anything wrong with his comments regarding suicide. Baffles me that anyone would be offended by it. For starters, Gary is unfortunately dead so he won't be offended by it, and his family and close friends will be upset because by his death, not a comment about suicide as a wider issue on a twitter feed. Storm in a teacup imo, people looking to lash out after a tragic event is understandable though.

Staggered by this post quite frankly. I know people, especially younger people concoct a view when they don't really have one, but he's probably still hanging there at 3pm on Sunday while the police and forensic people are on the scene, and that arsehole is debating the morality of suicide and whether selfishness comes in to it. 6 hours after he's done it, well thank god I was brought up with decency, and I appreciate not everyone else is, but thank god I am.

He said one questionable word amongst many positive ones tbh.

Some people see the word 'selfish' and deem it to be offensive. Which is their pregorative but I too find it somewhat baffling that people overreact to it so much. It's just a somewhat ignorant comment and if anything is selfish it's the act, not the person. It's a type of selfishness that you can't really blame anyone for, especially if it was fuelled by depression. Just the act, which is what Barton was talking about.

What he shouldn't have done however, is said it at all. Especially on the day the man died. It's something to debate, if he has to, when some time has passed. Even if he wasn't looking to offend anyone, which he inadvertently has done. He's also reacted very poorly to the backlash.

Edited by Tecato

I can understand the question of timing, but in all honesty the biggest effect Speed's death has had on me is to make me ponder suicide and clinical depression (even though we don't know if he suffered it or not) quite a lot over the last 48 hours. I believe that discussion is a good thing, especially about things that are hard to understand and talked of little.

I can understand the question of timing, but in all honesty the biggest effect Speed's death has had on me is to make me ponder suicide and clinical depression (even though we don't know if he suffered it or not) quite a lot over the last 48 hours. I believe that discussion is a good thing, especially about things that are hard to understand and talked of little.

It's like this:

459889241.jpg

Obviously it's callous shitehawk reporting of the highest order, but if the underlying story - five professional footballers have been in touch with the Second Chance clinic since Speed's death to seek active help for depression - is true and it begins to get rammed home to even Daily Star readers that this is a serious problem that affects Real Men too... who knows. A little something good might come of the whole thing.

Or one of the tabloids will blab their names and they'll be taunted into oblivion from the stands every week. :dunno:

Edited by Meenzer

Regardless of the actual event - factual or fictional - they have a habit of portraying things so crassly. Bear in mind the man pictured has just died they have to use the phrase 'on the brink' when the reality would perhaps be a bit less awful.

Regardless of the actual event - factual or fictional - they have a habit of portraying things so crassly. Bear in mind the man pictured has just died they have to use the phrase 'on the brink' when the reality would perhaps be a bit less awful.

And it infers that there must be seriously wrong with you or you must be ready to top yourself if you ask for help.

Typical from the likes of the Star.

Re: Barton the toxic press will be loving the opportunity to jump all over his comments in their usual haughty and hypocritical manner. That said, if Barton wasn't such an egomaniac I think he would've came out with usual 'deeply saddened' type comments. But no, he had to take the opportunity to remind us all what a profound philosopher he is. If he'd made his comments a few days later it would've been different.

Spot on as well there, Meenzer.

Re: Barton the toxic press will be loving the opportunity to jump all over his comments in their usual haughty and hypocritical manner. That said, if Barton wasn't such an egomaniac I think he would've came out with usual 'deeply saddened' type comments. But no, he had to take the opportunity to remind us all what a profound philosopher he is. If he'd made his comments a few days later it would've been different.

Aye, thats the way I see it as well. Ill timed comment but I didnt really take offence to it.

Aye, thats the way I see it as well. Ill timed comment but I didnt really take offence to it.

That's fine, but if 10 people take offence to it you say alright apologies, let alone thousands. The bloke is a fucking idiot, he'd be doing a long stretch with his axe murdering brother if he wasn't a footballer. He's a stubborn fuckwit.

That's fine, but if 10 people take offence to it you say alright apologies, let alone thousands. The bloke is a fucking idiot, he'd be doing a long stretch with his axe murdering brother if he wasn't a footballer. He's a stubborn fuckwit.

The irony being the parallels between you and him. How many times have you offended people on here with your rants on the 'world according to stevie' and then refused to apologise?

The irony being the parallels between you and him. How many times have you offended people on here with your rants on the 'world according to stevie' and then refused to apologise?

Depends if the person I've offended is a mug or not, hence why I can't recall ever apologising to you.

I wish you weren't as robotic sometimes J69. Half of my stuff to you is "banter" but you always come back with some reply like it's a professional diagnosis. I'm sure there's a good lad in there waiting to get out.

It's my borderline aspergers

I didn't hand on heart know exactly what Aspergers was till I googled it there.

Asperger disorder, is a disorder (ASD) that is characterized by significant difficulties in social interaction, alongside restricted and repetitive patterns of behavior and interests

I'll be honest I take my hat off to you here, because that is the best case of self awareness you will see in life.

Asperger disorder, is a disorder (ASD) that is characterized by significant difficulties in social interaction, alongside restricted and repetitive patterns of behavior and interests

I'll be honest I take my hat off to you here, because that is the best case of self awareness you will see in life.

It was more a tongue in cheek professional diagnosis ;)

So that's what's wrong with me.