The Twitter Thread

peasepud

SJ, a few points: social progress can be measured by things like life expectancy, quality of life, chances of murder etc. On any single 'health' based metric, progress has been one way and thats irrefutable.

Secondly, that Harvard prof. who was in the news last year actually demonstrated that society is getting less violent, i think the study goes back a couple of centuries.

Thirdly, you are no history student if you believe human rights were an issue in the Roman empire. Of course slaves had little or nothing but citizens of the empire were equals across its entire geography. Where did the civilising foundations of Roman law come from? The secular Greek philosophers and their pagan belief structures.

Fourthly, now am confused, you seem to suggest that moral progress has been made (whilst assigning the influence to christianity), sort of contradicts your opening premise.

Finally, i like your observation about linearity in christian thought, its obvious to anyone who's been to Egypt that Copernicus, Gallileo and the catholic church were centuries behind in their science, knowledge has been lost and found over time and in that sense the path of human development has not been linear. Ask Parky about what they did to the mystics.

It seems you are prepared to give religion, or more specifically christianity, credit for alot of different things on the most tenuous of levels.

Human Rights did exist pre-Christianity, they were just linked to an in group/out group system of laws and Christianity acted to carry that formula into the modern world. I can say this without even mentioning the effect that religious dogma has had on the rights of women and gays in the modern world by the way.

The free will debate is a non-starter from an atheist standpoint as there is no debate except perhaps from a reactionary standpoint, but even that has little value since the processes of the mind are not properly understood. If there is no god then there is free will, if there is a god then free will becomes a problem. You seem to have gone to great lengths to try and position this problem neatly within your worldview. The problem of course is the brick wall to christian notions of free will that is, if god is omniscient then there is no free will. I'm sure the 'multi-futures' quasi-string theory argument will come back at me. But that argument renders an omniscient god no better at seeing the future than you or I.

I'll deal with rest later. If I can be bothered.

My main problem with religion is that it removes responsibility from the individual and encourages sheep-like thinking. It's all very well saying Thomas Aquinas had a profound effect on a certain philospher who in turn influenced someone who played a role in granting a country independence or whatever but that's not really the way it plays out in relation to the masses, is it? Where it's much more a case of "you should act this way because that's what this particular religious text tells us". That and it's all patently made up shite.

Edited by alex

My main problem with religion is that it removes responsibility from the individual and encourages sheep-like thinking. It's all very well saying Thomas Aquinas had a profound effect on a certain philospher who in turn influenced someone who played a role in granting a country independence or whatever but that's not really the way it plays out in relation to the masses, is it? Where it's much more a case of "you should act this way because that's what this particular religious text tells us". That and it's all patently made up shite.

Thats essentially the crux of it. To me whether or not its a fairytale or not matters. Alot of people don't really mind if its true or not because it makes them feel nice. When you start with a lie anything that happens after that is pretty much irrelevant for me.

I think it's unlikely that the New Testament bears any relation to the life of Jesus. When that's the starting point for a belief system, it does tend to make you question everything else that's connected with it. I mean howay, none of that stuff really happened, did it? ;)

TheRealEboue Emmanuel Eboue

Or maybe the bullet was sent to @anton_ferdinand so he cud shoot JT . . hhaha.. now that is funny.. sleep well every one. goodnite. 1LOVE

:lol:

He's banging on about the court case and squealing about free speech when told to shut up. Plenty then pointed out its got nowt to do about free speech and more about influencing an ongoing court case, the stupid faux intellectual cunt.

@piersmorgan

I currently air in 200 countries/territories - how you getting on? #SmallPondMinnow

@GaryLineker_

I think the 2 world cups I played in probably edged that

These high profile people should stop getting involved in 'banter' with Morgan, maybe that way he'll realise that he isn't actually their best mate and that he's actually a bit of a twat to say the least.