Freddy Shepherd

henda11

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shearer was the best number 9 in the world when we signed him. He was just ridiculously good at Blackburn and in his first season or two for us before the serious injury. Even after that when he had to adapt his game he was still good for 20 goals a season.

Torres has only had 4 seasons in which he's scored more than 20 goals. Shearer had 11 including 4 where he scored more than 30 (compared to Torres' 1).

There really is no comparrison (well other than the one I just made) between the two of them. If Torres was ever worth £50m (he wasn't really) then Shearer at the time we signed him was worth twice that.

In my defence, I was referring to Shearer pre-Newcastle, when he'd had three good seasons, rather than an overall view on his career...

And I agree that Torres wasn't worth £50m - I was merely attempting to take a stab at a market price that would have seemed probable.

To be fair Torres at his prime at Liverpool was unstoppable. Most complete centre forward at the time imo. Game at Old Trafford when he ripped apart Vidic who was in his prime comes to mind amongst others. 50M for a club like Chelsea didnt seem to much at the time. Too bad for them they didnt get half of the player he was at Anfield.

To be fair Torres at his prime at Liverpool was unstoppable. Most complete centre forward at the time imo. Game at Old Trafford when he ripped apart Vidic who was in his prime comes to mind amongst others. 50M for a club like Chelsea didnt seem to much at the time. Too bad for them they didnt get half of the player he was at Anfield.

He was on the wayne before he signed for Chelsea though.

Perhaps, but Im not too sure.

I think, along with the injuries etc, the style of play at Chelsea wasnt really suited to him. Narrow pitch and all that.

Everything's just gone wrong for him there. Cant remember the last time a player that good has suddenly looked so average after moving clubs.

Shearer was brilliant and if it had not been for the injuries in his career (Knee, broken leg, ankle) he would of set the bar even higher the fact that as mentioned he had to change his game and still scored goals speaks volumes!

Having said all that when Torres sits back and counts his medals!!!