Sports Personality of the Year

Meenzer

No footballers, not watching.

That's all you need to know about the general likeability of British footballers.

Pity it wasn't a totally public vote, it'd have been nice to see Giggs up for it again.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aye honestly, who gives a shit about it anymore. I wouldn't care if the show was still the sports review of the year, but it's utter fucking crap even outside of the nominations these days.

I used to love it but I would actually struggle to remember the last time I watched it.

Mark Cavendish for me. Proper sportsman, and knobbing a page 3 girl.

I was stood next to her at the National Champs, god yes I would until it dropped off!

Giggs deserves a shout now, more than when he won it. He was great for Man Ure last season.

Can't help but think that the BBC have done this no women thing to try and get a bit of publicity for a concept that is dying on its arse. Nobody is making a bigger fuss about the fact that it's caused a big fuss than BBC News.

I bet there's been plenty of years where women haven't had a look in because in a sporting context they haven't deserved it.

However on a personal level I really couldn't care about SPOTY and I can't say I ever really have.

Yes it's certainly a bit harsh there isn't one woman on there but you get the impression that if it's written by journalists then it's naturally going to satisfy popular demand which is the point of the competition.

I'm sure women don't want to be there on tokenism & instead they want to be there on merit. So rather than criticise the public interest perhaps they could look at the efforts of female athletes or the promotion of their sports?

I'm sure women don't want to be there on tokenism & instead they want to be there on merit. So rather than criticise the public interest perhaps they could look at the efforts of female athletes or the promotion of their sports?

This is one area where I do understand the complaints of Tanni Grey-Thompson et al - there's no doubt that in team sports, say, and even tennis/athletics to an extent, the male version gets the lion's share of the media coverage. On the other hand, the male version is always going to be the "elite" at a human level, and hence more interesting to the non-enthusiast - rightly or wrongly, nobody would really care if there was a female equivalent to Usain Bolt, for example (just ask the man on the street who Carmelita Jeter is - the fastest female ever if you ignore the clownish dope fiend that was FloJo, but no real public profile at all).

Zara Phillips won it entirely on merit and because of the nation's love of horse cantering over fences.

Not because she's a royal, of course.

Two horses, in her case.

Also since when has Andy Murray had a personality? Dour bastard.

Meenzer - Pretty much spot on I suppose, where there are fine female athletes the corresponding male version of the game tends to always be better for the spectator. In addition to this I would also say men have a bit better banter when it comes to sport & often have a laugh and take the piss which increases the entertainment value.

This is one area where I do understand the complaints of Tanni Grey-Thompson et al - there's no doubt that in team sports, say, and even tennis/athletics to an extent, the male version gets the lion's share of the media coverage. On the other hand, the male version is always going to be the "elite" at a human level, and hence more interesting to the non-enthusiast - rightly or wrongly, nobody would really care if there was a female equivalent to Usain Bolt, for example (just ask the man on the street who Carmelita Jeter is - the fastest female ever if you ignore the clownish dope fiend that was FloJo, but no real public profile at all).

The crux of the matter is that female sportstars just aren't as good as their male equivalents. McEnroe reckoned a few years ago that he would still comfortably beat the top women tennis players. Serena Williams criticised him for it but didn't fancy having a game to prove him wrong.

The crux of the matter is that female sportstars just aren't as good as their male equivalents. McEnroe reckoned a few years ago that he would still comfortably beat the top women tennis players. Serena Williams criticised him for it but didn't fancy having a game to prove him wrong.

It doesnt help either that there isnt many female sports jurnos too in this case.

That's because they're shit too.

Agreed :lol:

Whenever they have that Amy Lawrence bird on the Guardian Football Podcast I put my foot through the ipod and send AC Jimbo the bill. They were arguing over which is better, halloumi or feta yesterday btw. Only the Guardian. :lol:

That's because they're shit too.

Agreed :lol:

Whenever they have that Amy Lawrence bird on the Guardian Football Podcast I put my foot through the ipod and send AC Jimbo the bill. They were arguing over which is better, halloumi or feta yesterday btw. Only the Guardian. :lol:

How awful is she man? :lol: