Please let this be right

Jusoda Kid

Rangers offer way out

Dec 6 2005

By Alan Oliver, The Evening Chronicle

Rangers will part company with their manager Alex McLeish tonight - and the word from Scotland is that this will increase Graeme Souness' chances of returning to Ibrox.

Rangers entertain Inter Milan in the Champions League, and sources in Glasgow told me today that, regardless of the result, McLeish will be leaving Ibrox.

They even say that £900,000 compensation - a year's salary - has already been agreed between Rangers and McLeish, but that both parties agreed to stay silent until after tonight's game.

Rangers can actually become the first Scottish team to reach the knockout stages of the revamped Champions League, but it is their run of nine match without a win in all competitions - the worst run in their history - which has sealed McLeish's fate.

The Rangers fans would love Souness to return to Ibrox, but both the club and the Scot will distance themselves from this at this moment in time for obvious reasons.

Souness is still very much manager of Newcastle United and he insists that while he has clearly lost the backing of the vast majority of supporters, he is determined to fight for his future at St James' Park.

Souness has always insisted that United will be his last managerial job, but the talk in Glasgow is that Rangers supremo David Murray sees his big pal as a possible director of football, with a younger coach looking after the players.

If Souness were to leave St James' Park and go to Rangers, United would be entitled to compensation - just as Souness would be looking to have the 18 months of his contract paid up if he were to leave for any reason.

These are difficult days for Souness, Newcastle United and chairman Freddy Shepherd, and it's hard to predict how things will turn out.

Souness is as tough as they come - but was it because of the fans that he changed his usual routine in Saturday's match with Aston Villa at St James' Park ?

Instead of taking his seat alongside Shepherd in the directors' box as he usually does at the start of a game, Souness went straight down to the dug-out.

And instead of patrolling his technical area like a caged tiger Souness stayed in his dug-out for most of the match.

Meanwhile, if United fans are keeping a close eye on what is happening at Rangers tonight, they will not be happy at what is going to happen at Highbury tomorrow night.

Having already qualified for the knockout stages of the Champions League, Arsene Wenger is likely to put out a weakened team against Ajax and put out his rested first-choice players at St James' Park on Saturday tea-time.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Right, so we actually gave him a 3 year contract?

Makes sense I guess. Give Shearer a year on the coaching staff to learn the ropes and then take over.

Hope to God that this news about Rangers is true, because this isn't the first time I've heard it this week. A lot of Rangers fans also think it's going to happen.

Souness has of course denied it but it's true, Rangers have offered him an olive branch but he's holding out for some compensation while they are holding out for him to resign or get the sack so they themselves don't have to pay compensation.

United meanwhile are hoping the Scottish club approach us so they can get some money out of it or, from what I'm told, be recompensated by wiping clean the remaining payment still owed on Boumsong as Souness will no doubt want to take his entire backroom staff with him too, meaning we'll have to pay for a new one on top of a new manager.

This is why Rangers gave McLeish a review period of a month as they are aware of the Newcastle situation. Apparently their Chairman wants Souness back but a few directors want a top foreign name, Hitzfeld or Le Guen seem to be the names linked but if Souness was available, and for free, they'd go with him.

The longer he remains a United manager though, they will be forced into looking elsewhere.

Basically Graeme, fucking resign man, or...

Newcastle, stop being cowards and sack him.

And Rangers, typical stingey Scots :icon_lol:

My source says Boumsong is fully paid for.

I'd would love it to see Souness resign and get left in limbo Redknappt style, love it.

64792[/snapback]

You're probably right, it has been nearly a year now, 4m in two 6 month installments? Who knows.

This one has legs though and will come to a head in coming days/weeks I feel. Too many people, people in the know as well as the likes of Oliver :icon_lol:, are alluding to this, at our end, Rangers end and even in the national media.

As the saying goes... something has to give.

He will definetly NOT be a Newcastle manager much longer, that is absolute certain. He'll either get the sack, walk or Rangers will pay up his contract.

The Rangers fans would love Souness to return to Ibrox, but both the club and the Scot will distance themselves from this at this moment in time for obvious reasons.

64780[/snapback]

The Rangers fan I took to the match on Saturday wouldn't. Is this one of those presumptions like us wanting a Geordie manager?

The way Curbishley is talking, he is thinking of jacking his hand in at Charlton.

A wight woyal mewwigowound, as Cawol Thatcher would say.

My choice would be Burley.

Still, it's all hypothetical until Mr Souness departs the scene.

Come on Inter.

Getting knocked out would be in our best interests as it takes away that caveat for the likes of Hitzfeld or LeGuen or whatever "top" foreign name they'd like ideally, ahead of Souness so I'm with you on that. Despite them being dirty, cheating, diving bastards.

The way Curbishley is talking, he is thinking of jacking his hand in at Charlton.

64801[/snapback]

You wan't Burley for the Toon job? Or are you saying you think Rangers will go for him?

Come on Inter.

Getting knocked out would be in our best interests as it takes away that caveat for the likes of Hitzfeld or LeGuen or whatever "top" foreign name they'd like ideally, ahead of Souness so I'm with you on that. Despite them being dirty, cheating, diving bastards.

64802[/snapback]

I don't take shouting for Inter lightly, I'm that desperate. :icon_lol:

Boumsong only cost us £5.5m with the rest being made up on appearances & various bits and bobs like where we finish in the league etc.

64810[/snapback]

Doesn't look like they'll be getting much more off us then. If it's based on appearances that would explain his persistence in playing such a shit player

64801[/snapback]

You wan't Burley for the Toon job? Or are you saying you think Rangers will go for him?

64803[/snapback]

Personally, I wouldn't want him here.

Burley likes the hoy too much.

Plus he's shit.

64828[/snapback]

I totally disagree, I think he would do a great job for us.

Plus he's shit.

64828[/snapback]

64835[/snapback]

Make a good manager of Shearers bar, aye.

And they could always pay him in drink :icon_lol:

Plus he's shit.

64828[/snapback]

64835[/snapback]

Make a good manager of Shearers bar, aye.

And they could always pay him in drink :icon_lol:

64838[/snapback]

I see him as being one of the rare managers that can actually take players and make them better, rather than one that can only achieve success with the cheque book.

I see him as being one of the rare managers that can actually take players and make them better, rather than one that can only achieve success with the cheque book.

64840[/snapback]

Rare? Most managers outside of the Premiership can do that. Mick McCarthy doon the road ring a bell?

Sorry but he's shite. Not good enough for Newcastle. Championship or SPL is about his level. That and spirits.

Edited by Howaythetoon

64840[/snapback]

Rare? Most managers outside of the Premiership can do that. Mick McCarthy doon the road ring a bell?

Sorry but he's shite. Not good enough for Newcastle. Championship or SPL is about his level. That and spirits.

64844[/snapback]

Have you been on the Jesus juice too ? :icon_lol:

Graeme Souness has rejected reports linking him with a possible return to Rangers.

Reports emanating from the North East claimed Rangers were lining up a move for Souness to replace under-fire boss Alex McLeish.

McLeish's position at Ibrox is hanging by a thread with the club enduring the worst form in their history.

Even qualification to the knockout stages of the UEFA Champions League may not save McLeish's job with Rangers officials believed to be keen on appointing a new man at the helm.

Souness' own position at Newcastle remains far from certain with fans calling for his head following last week's Carling Cup defeat to Wigan.

It was suggested that Souness could have been sacked had Newcastle lost to Aston Villa last weekend, with many believing the draw was only a stay of execution for Souness.

Souness is well loved at Rangers after a successful five-year spell at the club between 1986-1991, but the Scot has rubbished the rumours he could return to Glasgow.

"Yes I have fondness for Rangers but I have no interest in returning to the club," Souness told Sky Sports News.

64840[/snapback]

64844[/snapback]

Have you been on the Jesus juice too ? :icon_lol:

64850[/snapback]

Did thick Mick not improve a bunch of free transfers, youngsters and bargain bin signings and take them up into the Premiership?

The thing you also claim Burley can do?