teen banned from wearing a crucifix

Jimbo

Anger Over Crucifix Ban

Updated: 14:09, Tuesday December 06, 2005

A row has broken out after a teenager was banned from wearing a crucifix at a school where Sikhs can carry ceremonial daggers.

Sam Morris, 16, was reportedly sent home from Sinfin Community School, Derby, after she refused to remove a gold cross on a necklace.

She was told wearing a crucifix was not compulsory for Christians, so the necklace breached dress codes.

Other pupils are allowed to wear kirpan daggers and metal bracelets, as they are classed as religious symbols, said the Daily Express.

GCSE student Sam missed two days of study before her mother Debra Saunders, 37, allowed her to return to school without the necklace.

Christian and Conservative MP Anne Widdecombe insisted a crucifix was not costume jewellery.

She said: "To persecute a young girl like this for her religious beliefs, whatever they are, is unacceptable."

Sam, who had worn the necklace for the past three years, told Sky News the cross was not a "fashion accessory" and she felt "naked without it".

Sinfin's deputy head Howard Jones said: "Most of our pupils understand allowing Sikhs to wear a bracelet is a compulsory part of their religion.

"Christianity does not require followers to wear a specific symbols."

Derby City Council said the ban was lawful but questioned whether it was "desirable".

Once again the politcal correctness gang insult the intellegence of the British public, political correctness is a cancer in British society, along with banning the displaying of our national flag these fools merely give groups like the BNP a louder voice.

The sooner we as a nation reject political correctness the better, as I believe it will be our undoing.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You get suspended for having facial hair at my school.  :) Fucking facist pigs  :)  :)  :D

64864[/snapback]

I guess you'd be ok if they had a pubic hair ban at your school ? :icon_lol:B)

Nice lady, killing her relatives to meet someone.

64890[/snapback]

B) Wrong thread surely?

64891[/snapback]

Maybe he knows something about Anne Widdecombe that the rest of us only suspect... :icon_lol:

Anger Over Crucifix Ban

Updated: 14:09, Tuesday December 06, 2005

A row has broken out after a teenager was banned from wearing a crucifix at a school where Sikhs can carry ceremonial daggers.

Sam Morris, 16, was reportedly sent home from Sinfin Community School, Derby, after she refused to remove a gold cross on a necklace.

She was told wearing a crucifix was not compulsory for Christians, so the necklace breached dress codes.

Other pupils are allowed to wear kirpan daggers and metal bracelets, as they are classed as religious symbols, said the Daily Express.

GCSE student Sam missed two days of study before her mother Debra Saunders, 37, allowed her to return to school without the necklace.

Christian and Conservative MP Anne Widdecombe insisted a crucifix was not costume jewellery.

She said: "To persecute a young girl like this for her religious beliefs, whatever they are, is unacceptable."

Sam, who had worn the necklace for the past three years, told Sky News the cross was not a "fashion accessory" and she felt "naked without it".

Sinfin's deputy head Howard Jones said: "Most of our pupils understand allowing Sikhs to wear a bracelet is a compulsory part of their religion.

"Christianity does not require followers to wear a specific symbols."

Derby City Council said the ban was lawful but questioned whether it was "desirable".

Once again the politcal correctness gang insult the intellegence of the British public, political correctness is a cancer in British society, along with banning the displaying of our national flag these fools merely give groups like the BNP a louder voice.

The sooner we as a nation reject political correctness the better, as I believe it will be our undoing.

64848[/snapback]

hmm ... can't wear Christian symbols in our own Christian country ...

Some people said this would never happen ....

Come the day we aren't the bigger numbers, I'm sure other religions will show us the tolerance that we are showing them, don't you think ?

I'd go the french way and keep all religious attire and symbols out of schools, including head scarves, daft knives and the rest..

If there was a "no chaver bling" policy, I don't see why they should breach it for fear of offending christians - especially if she wasn't wearing it for religious reasons.

I see later reports swap "daggers" for "bangles", so it could just be exaggerated scaremongering, like the "winter lights" story, or just an outright lie like the "Natwest bans piggy banks" one.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/suecarroll/tm...-name_page.html

IN A school where Sikh pupils are allowed to wear a bangle, compulsory to their religion, 16-year-old Sam Morris was ordered to remove her gold crucifix because Sinfin Community School's jewellery policy forbids anything other than a watch and small stud earrings. Cue her furious mum Debra Saunders, who says: "Sam has just as much right to celebrate her own religion."

Oh dear. Without wishing to cast any doubt on the strength of her Christian beliefs, you do wonder how many girls wear the crucifix as a symbol of their religious commitment. I'm reminded of the supposedly true story of two chavs overheard admiring crucifixes in a jeweller's window. "Have you got any," one asked the shop assistant, "without that little bloke on?"

Are muslims in the school allowed to wear gold Islamic Crescents round their neck? It certainly doesn't sound like it. Or is it only this little bangle for Sheiks - compulsory to their religion unlike a tacky cross/crescent/star of david round your neck - which is allowed?

Sorry if I'm cynical, but there's been so many of these stories which turned out to be just bollocks and trying to make something out of nothing for people with a persecution complex to bleat about.

Edited by BlueStar

The school should have a rule, either you are allowed to wear jewelery or you aren't. Perhaps a sensible compromise would be to allow one piece of jewellery per pupil, thus allowing Sikhs, Christians, etc. to wear something that represents their faith and still preventing a proliferation of bling.

I see they're organising boycotts in America of stores that wish customers "Happy Holidays" because apparently that's offensive to christians.  :icon_lol:

65005[/snapback]

Will they ban that friggin' Coca Cola ad then?

I see they're organising boycotts in America of stores that wish customers "Happy Holidays" because apparently that's offensive to christians.  :icon_lol:

65005[/snapback]

Will they ban that friggin' Coca Cola ad then?

65008[/snapback]

I feckin hope so. Every chant of "Holidays are comin'" is one more bitter tear, burning like acid on the face of baby Jesus.

EDIT: They're even after Bush now, because he didn't use the word "Christmas" on the 1.4 million cards he sent out

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...5120601900.html

Edited by BlueStar

64848[/snapback]

I agree that this case is obscenely unfair, as is the flag case (if it is real). Your post has outlined to me why these incidents are so dangerous - not all political correctness is bad.

Political correctness is the idea that everyone has the same rights, no matter where they come from or what they look like, or what belelifs they hold. I don't consider that a bad thing.

However, allowing Muslim children to wear religous symbols but not Christians is a violation of this, so actually it isn't 'politically correct', but is labelled as such anyway, which leads to other genuinely necessary measures taken to protect minorities from discrimination are dismissed as being 'PC bollocks'.

The biggest gripe with cases like this is that it is usually white affluent people who decide who's being discriminated against and what offends ethnic minorities, and sometimes they can be wrong (ie not putting up Christmas decorations for fear of offending them). I just wish they'd shut the fuck up until somebody actually complained.

Alas, all is not as it seems and I think Bluestar has summed it up nicely. The rule was no bling, and as much as this lass wants to argue she was wearing it for religious purposes, I'm inclined to think she's talking utter shite. :lol: I'm sure if her mother had gone to the school and proved she was a devout church going Catholic then they would have relented. A typical Daily Mail scaremongering story to try and frighten old people into thinking all non-whites are going to kill them in the name of Allah.