Best Newcastle game of the calendar year

dbsweeney

Once I've got a few nominations, I'll then turn it into a poll.

Firstly, I'll mention a few of the obvious ones:

5 February 2010: Newcastle United 5 – 1 Cardiff City (Two scored by Carroll in the opening 15 minutes)

22 August 2010: Newcastle United 6 – 0 Aston Villa (Carroll's hatrick)

18 September 2010: Everton 0 – 1 Newcastle United (Ben Arfa lived up to the hype)

22 September 2010: Chelsea 3 – 4 Newcastle (Carling Cup thriller)

31 October 2010: Newcastle United 5 – 1 Sunderland (A lot of you might not remember this game ... :D )

11 December 2010: Newcastle United 3 – 1 Liverpool (After a truely shite week, Hughton's 'group of lads' do the hard work)

If we take the Mackems game out of it, i'd say Villa. That Carew penalty could have defined our season, but we got a bit of luck with that and thoroughly pounded them for the following 80 mins.

Goal of the year for me though was Ben Arfa, closely followed by Rangers goal at Chelsea (best team goal we've scored in years), Enriques (for the pure celebration) and Ryan Taylors at Accrington - what a hit!

2-0 vs Nottingham? Enriques goal. :D

Damn straight. Mackem game first because it was almost poetic with Bramble being sent off, and their goal clearly displaying that there was none of their supporters left in the stadium.

Taking the Mackem annihilation out of it, 6-0 villa and 3-1 dippers are difficult to separate.

Two teams I hate with a passion, utterly pasted.

The Villa game was just so unexpected, whereas given the tumultuous week before the Dippers, it was doubly sweet to finally hand those bastards their arses at SJP.

But then, why take out the Mackem game? It was what you wait for as a fan.

Well the second best win of the season was Villa because we owed the boring cunts a hiding and didn't they get just that. Record put straight and back to the non-entities they are to us.

Forest was a good win as it was a time we might have felt the pressure but we stuck at it and Shola turned the game by coming on as a sub and hitting one of those early shots in the bottom corner which he is capable of doing and Jose putting the icing on the cake with a very popular goal amongst his team-mates never mind us, judging by the celebrations! (Plus, always nice beating the scabs and they were a bit classless in their home win against us which I was at).

Liverpool was a good one as we owed them too and seeing they're fans reactions afterwards made it doubly entertaining.

Just looked in here and the stand out game for me has to be Arsenal away, yes I loved us battering the Mackems, but the game against Arsenal showed the team fought for each other for 90 minutes, not many teams win at the emirates and to come away with a clean sheet was a top top performance

Just looked in here and the stand out game for me has to be Arsenal away, yes I loved us battering the Mackems, but the game against Arsenal showed the team fought for each other for 90 minutes, not many teams win at the emirates and to come away with a clean sheet was a top top performance

To limit them to two attempts on target (IIRC) was phenominal.

I'd vote;

1st. Chelsea 4-3, it's how football should be played. And it was nice to win a 4-3 thriller.

2nd. Beating Forest 2-0 was great as it confirmed promotion, plus Jose celebration was awesome.

3rd. 5-1 vs unwashed, but only because of how smug they were going into it. I find one sided games a bit shite once the losing team gives up.

Mackems aside, my personal favorite was the 3-1 over the bin dippers. Watched it with a couple of scouse mates who were giving it the large one for the run up to the game. Queue us shafting them and Andy Carroll's sublime goal to top it all off. Fantastic :D

Edited by Bizza