True-Faith hit the nail on the head !

Jimbo

http://www.true-faith.co.uk/html/tbawe.htm

THIS IS NOT A LOVE SONG  -    Monday 5th December 2005

We are moving slowly but surely to the time when Graeme Souness does what has been inevitable since the day he took up his job at Newcastle United and that is to leave having failed miserably. Predictable. Souness was fourth choice for manager and he has done a fourth rate job. Yes, he has had rotten luck with injuries but no-one asked him to sign Amady Faye (who according to the manager had a great game yv. Fulham .. "great game" - really?), the piss poor Celestine Babayaro, pay £8M for Jean-Alain Boumsong, give renewed contracts to Michael Chopra and Robbie Elliott (both of who who really want to do well for the club but who are alas, painfully nowhere near being Premiership players), sell Aaron Hughes and replace him with Craig Moore - a player who has not breathed match-day air as a Newcastle United player.

I sometimes wonder which other top class manager would have made the declaration it was his intention to build his team around the completely unreliable and massively over-rated Kieron Dyer and put a player who has rarely troubled the back of the net and seems incapable of playing more than two thirds of a season because of a continuous routine of injuries on a massively inflated contract.

There is not a single player who is playing better as a consequence of Souness at being at the club and there is not a single dimension of our play that has improved since he became manager.

Tactically, the man appears to be clueless. We appear to be operating to a tactical platform somewhere between West Brom and Fulham. There is no cunning to our play, no surprises and our ability to hurt teams from dead ball situations is short also. At home to Villa we had Solano, who we foolishly imagined might provide some crosses for our strikers tucked in midfield with Shearer drifting wide to put crosses in for a woefully inferior Michael Chopra. Are we missing something? The penalty given away by Bramble was lamentable; clumsy, rash and thick. Had Barry put his penalty away, Souness would have enjoyed his Saturday even less.

There have been several occasions this season when the team just has not looked arsed. There is a crippling lack of leadership on the pitch and the 2nd half last week at Everton was a team going through the motions. Appalling. If we thought that was bad, the performance at Wigan Reserves was as desperate as I've seen from a Newcastle United side in a very long time. Several players (roll up Lee Bowyer) looked disengaged from proceedings, though our game plan was a mystery. 5,000 travelled to Wigan last Wednesday night and were insulted by the effort put in. That was a performance of a team who have disconnected themselves from the manager. That Souness had the idiocy to request Alan Shearer to play central defender says everything about our manager's mindset. Just what is the man thinking about?

Every aspect of Souness' management is being disembowelled by a public which is frankly fed up with the bluffing, the excuses and the failure of the manager and the mediocrities that make up his coaching staff. And yet, the more thoughtful amongst the support worry what happens next. This humble supporters' voice has long speculated of the direction and strategy for the club, been bewildered by the decision making and aghast at the apparent lack of a plan to take the club forward. Who the club is able to bring in next is the big question. We're looking desperate again and there to be shafted. This is what Shepherd gets paid for. It is time for this man's piss poor record of managerial appointments to improve drastically.

I'm aware these are harsh words. In an ideal world, we'd all want Souness to succeed. We'd love for the man to succeed. It really is nothing personal. But we're far from impressed. The football, the entertainment, the thing we look forward to all week and pay big bucks to enjoy is desperate. Shepherd cannot expect to fill SJP next season for the shit being put out on the park. The club's loyal hardcore will always rollup but the corporate, the trendies and the lightweights will jack it in if they don't think they are getting value for money. Men like Shepherd have reduced supporting NUFC to a consumer pastime. The problem for him and his ilk is when the supporters consumers start behaving like consumers.

The question isn't so much of sacking Souness, it is appointing a credible successor. Hitzfeld, O'Neill and Hiddink are the calibre we'll be looking for not the bargain basement scrag end of the market. The manager is not delivering but let's remember the blurt who appointed him in the first instance.

This Saturday night, we face Arsenal. The Gunners have a far from impressive record away from home and were humped 2-0 at Bolton last week. "Backlash!" There is talk of United having Owen back, even Dyer (don't laugh) but Saturday night fever at SJP might be fatal for Souness and his "coaching" team should we get the humping we are more than capable of suffering. We'll be looking for a manager to pull something out of a hat, for his team to walk his talk, to fight and scrap and get a result. But. Souness is manager of a team that is incapable of coming back from a goal down and winning a game. Lack of nous or lack of bottle? It is a damning statistic.

These are dark, unhappy days at NUFC and the manager is clinging onto his job by his finger nails but he has to look like he wants the job. Describing supporters response to the rubbish at Wigan Reserves as an "over-reaction" are the words of someone who wants to be sacked. Ducking the awkward questions in post-match interviews are hardly the acts of a so-called hard-man and hiding in the dug out when his team is going through the motions is unconvincing.

Where will it end?

this was obvious since day 1.

Lots of us said he would get rid of our flair players, turn us into a team of midfield sloggers, and didn't want it, then suddenly some appeared to agree with it.

The trouble with the Souness backers is that, they deluded themselves he would succeed despite all the evidence to the contrary and now won't admit they were wrong.

Oh well, at least those of us who were right, have the consolation of being right.

Have to disagree about the flair players part LM, what would you class Emre, Luque, Solano. Owen as?

64934[/snapback]

Luque, crap.

Owen, overpriced.

Emre, good. Solano, good before but the 2 forward players have changed. We will see.

It's a figure of speech anyway, you know he got rid of our flair players, but he's spent 30m quid replacing them !!!

Can't take an amount of money like that lightly ...

Now wheres that fecker Shepherd who doesn't back his managers ....

EDIT: and, I forgot to mention results ! Meaning...he hasn't replaced them very well has he ?

Edited by LeazesMag

High on the fumes of being right about Souness he started making spurious predictions he would later regret.

:icon_lol:

"Got rid of flair players" makes it sound like an extensive clearout. One player who couldn't be arsed too many times and one who would have left when Owen was signed. Mass clearout.

High on the fumes of being right about Souness he started making spurious predictions he would later regret.

:icon_lol:

64948[/snapback]

sold within 2 years for half of what we paid - max

Look at the league table

65012[/snapback]

We're ahead of Blackburn - Bellamy's making all the difference there like! :)

And Luque - crap?? :icon_lol:B):)

S'pose Ronaldinho would be shite as well? :)

Look at the league table

65012[/snapback]

We're ahead of Blackburn - Bellamy's making all the difference there like! :D

65015[/snapback]

Hang on though, Blackburn were the victims of a dubious refereeing decision on Saturday :D

:)

There is not a single player who is playing better as a consequence of Souness at being at the club and there is not a single dimension of our play that has improved since he became manager.

That quote is the key for me. We've gone backwards, and the only thing that's put us mid table rather than nearer the bottom is that we've had a bit of class in Owen and Emre who've at least been able to bail us out even when the team have played badly. This season we were alright 1st half against Man City and the mackems, canny the last 15 minutes against West Brom, and that's it.

That quote is the key for me. We've gone backwards, and the only thing that's put us mid table rather than nearer the bottom is that we've had a bit of class in Owen and Emre who've at least been able to bail us out even when the team have played badly. This season we were alright 1st half against Man City and the mackems, canny the last 15 minutes against West Brom, and that's it.

65018[/snapback]

In a nustshell, it's all about either moving the club in the right direction or maintaining success (should we ever achieve that). Robson was a victim of his own success since, following the previous two seasons, 5th place was deemed a failure. Souness, despite spending a fortune and having got rid of players and brought players in is moving the club in the wrong direction in my view.

Look at the league table

65012[/snapback]

65015[/snapback]

no. Ronaldhino is the top player in the world.

Don't understand how you can compare Luque with Ronaldhino, there is no comparison ..... in my opinion Luque is as likely to be as successful as Craig Bellamy was, as Ameobi is to captain England.

There is no point in making these changes to the detriment of performance on the pitch, it's money down the drain, big money too, but shows the managers judgement to be incompetent along with his managerial skills, but we all know that, and even that is indefensible to those of you who have backed him.

Fact is, you are clinging onto the hope that he will come good, under Bobby Robson, when Bellamy [and Robert] were here you looked at the league table, but you've now been completely taken in and spat out by Souness' propaganda.

And you know it.

Look at the league table

65012[/snapback]

65015[/snapback]

Don't understand how you can compare Luque with Ronaldhino, there is no comparison ..... in my opinion Luque is as likely to be as successful as Craig Bellamy was, as Ameobi is to captain England.

There is no point in making these changes to the detriment of performance on the pitch, it's money down the drain, big money too, but shows the managers judgement to be incompetent along with his managerial skills, but we all know that, and even that is indefensible to those of you who have backed him.

Fact is, you are clinging onto the hope that he will come good, under Bobby Robson, when Bellamy [and Robert] were here you looked at the league table, but you've now been completely taken in and spat out by Souness' propaganda.

And you know it.

65021[/snapback]

I'd hasten to guess the only time you've seen Luque play is for us.

There's some kid I've never seen play playing in the Brazilian league. However, I think he's shit. Never seen him play like, but he's not Craig Bellamy, so he's obviously shite.

You let your usually good posts down by making stupid remarks about players you've never seen (in my opinion)

Look at the league table

65012[/snapback]

65015[/snapback]

And you know it.

65021[/snapback]

Another "you must worship Souness if you knock Bellamy" thread from you there I see Leazes? :D

You're entitled to your opinion about Luque, personally I haven't seen him play but I've talked to a few people who have and they all suggest he's an awesome talent. And don't give me that shite about if he was that good, Real Madrid would have been in for him - I don't remember too many wanting Henry when Wenger snapped him up!

For the last time, I've never backed Souness! All I have said is, as Alex pointed out in another thread, that he needed time to prove himself. He has proved himself and he's shit and needs replacing. Despite my last comment though, I'm still of the opinion that the club were right to get rid of Bellamy (and Robert for that matter).

Look at the league table

65012[/snapback]

65015[/snapback]

And you know it.

65021[/snapback]

Another "you must worship Souness if you knock Bellamy" thread from you there I see Leazes? :D

You're entitled to your opinion about Luque, personally I haven't seen him play but I've talked to a few people who have and they all suggest he's an awesome talent. And don't give me that shite about if he was that good, Real Madrid would have been in for him - I don't remember too many wanting Henry when Wenger snapped him up!

For the last time, I've never backed Souness! All I have said is, as Alex pointed out in another thread, that he needed time to prove himself. He has proved himself and he's shit and needs replacing. Despite my last comment though, I'm still of the opinion that the club were right to get rid of Bellamy (and Robert for that matter).

65038[/snapback]

Barca actually tracked him for quite some time (Luque, not Wenger). Depo didn't want to sell to rivals which was one of the reasons they allowed the sale to go through to us.

Look at the league table

65012[/snapback]

We're ahead of Blackburn - Bellamy's making all the difference there like! <_<

S'pose Ronaldinho would be shite as well? :D

65015[/snapback]

And you know it.

65021[/snapback]

Another "you must worship Souness if you knock Bellamy" thread from you there I see Leazes? <_<

65038[/snapback]

Barca actually tracked him for quite some time (Luque, not Wenger). Depo didn't want to sell to rivals which was one of the reasons they allowed the sale to go through to us.

65039[/snapback]

He's not Craig Bellamy though so it's all incosequential anyway! :)

Did Barca track Bellamy? :)

:D