Shane Ferguson tearing apart international opposition

Christmas Tree

It hasnt, but neither has Williamson and Simpson stopped us from becoming top-5. Does that mean they are top-5 quality.

Improving a team is a continuous effort and that includes singling out positions where we can improve.

In our current team that is Simpson, WIlliamson and Jonas.

Totally agree with that. Last year and earlier in the season I was crying out for anyone to start on the left wing ahead of Jonas due to the lack of chances we were creating. Now however with our 433 we have indeed moved ahead and are a totally different team.

In my ideal line up (given the current squad), Marveaux Jonas and even Ferguson all slip down the pecking order to the subs bench and beyond.

Tiote Cabaye Guthrie

Hatem Cisse Ba

As I say, nice headaches to have.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It hasnt, but neither has Williamson and Simpson stopped us from becoming top-5. Does that mean they are top-5 quality. Improving a team is a continuous effort and that includes singling out positions where we can improve. In our current team that is Simpson, WIlliamson and Jonas.

We were in the San Siro 10 years ago with Dabizas,O'Brien and Hughes. None of them disgraced themselves in that campaign. Bellamy and Shearer did in the home game v Inter mind and they were two of our better players, to say the least. So we had to go to Bayer Leverkusen in the next game with Shola and Lualua up front where we won 2 nil and they both scored. We're not going to have 11 top quality players in the first choice team, we never have had and neither has virtually any fucker else in any other side in the history of the game. Forget it.

On top of my head, Tottenham in a cource of a few years from relegation battle to their current squad.

Its possible and we should strive to achieve it.

The core of their current squad were in that "relegation battle" ( a couple of months near the bottom) as was mentioned yesterday. Bale wasnt in a winning spurs team for 40 odd games or something. Hes been in a few since then. And its Mike Ashley we're dealing with here. If the centre half we needed in January had been bought where would we be now in the league? Not much different as its only since West Brom have we seen a real upturn in our form, and Colo has been missing for 2 of those games. Thats been down pretty much to Cisse and Ben Arfa, and we're not going to have players of that standard in every posistion.

It hasnt, but neither has Williamson and Simpson stopped us from becoming top-5. Does that mean they are top-5 quality.

Improving a team is a continuous effort and that includes singling out positions where we can improve.

There is a reason Jonas is vice-captain. Shall we leave it at that?

There is a reason Jonas is vice-captain. Shall we leave it at that?

The same way Carragher is the Vice-captain, I guess he is above critizism too.

The fact that Jonas is an Argentine International and/or a vice captain wont make me moderate my views on him.

I see him as a valuable player to us but looking into the horizon we need more offensive fibers in that position, he is mostly graft and little end-product.

Hoilett would be perfect if we could get a better fullback behind him who can take care of himself without needing babysitting.

Yet you understand completely gauging from your response that bringing up Carragher as the first port of call for your counter argument was completely redundant. No need for me to read on then. Off you toddle.

Shane and Gazza

IF YOU could pick two footballing greats to teach you the arts and skills of the beautiful game – then for many the legendary former England star Paul Gascoigne and current United talisman Hatem Ben Arfa would be right at the top of that list.

For Shane Ferguson, that isn’t a dream, it’s reality.

In fact Gazza even hailed Ferguson as “one of the best” youngsters he’s come across in his career, and it simply doesn’t get much better than that when it comes to a compliment!

Ferguson has already captured the imagination of some Toon fans with his incredible close control and ability to get past defenders at will – the late, great George Best would have loved it.

But he admits he’s had a superb grounding from both Gascoigne and Ben Arfa.

While studying for his coaching badges, Gascoigne came face to face with Fergie at Little Benton and, fully kitted out in Newcastle training gear, the Geordie genius was assigned to work alongside Ferguson for a week in a dream meeting of minds for the Northern Ireland young gun.

In an extensive interview with the Chronicle, Ferguson said: “I was injured one time and Gazza just happened to be working at Newcastle. It was probably the luckiest thing that’s happened to me.

“I was coming back from injury. It ended up being just me and Gazza doing fitness work together. It was a dream come true. Here I was stood next to Paul Gascoigne in training, he’s such a legend.

“He was talking to me all the time and giving me loads of tips. We trained for a week. He’s a great man, it was a brilliant experience.”

Gazza’s skills certainly rubbed off on Ferguson.

The Irishman is blessed with skill, pace and fantastic close control, something that Alan Pardew has already admitted he wants to see much more of.

Ferguson’s blistering run when he beat five players and almost scored against Stoke City was right out of the Gazza textbook.

With a chuckle, Ferguson said: “He definitely still had all the skills too. Gazza hadn’t lost his touch!

“Whenever he had the ball he was showing us all of his tricks. He was brilliant.”

But his first-class education didn’t end there.

When the Magpies lured Hatem Ben Arfa from Marseille, they had snapped up a player dubbed the best of his generation in France – and right from the Gazza mould.

Many fans feel that the Gazza and Ben Arfas of the world are a dying breed with overcoaching seemingly slapping out the type of players who love to dribble their way up and down football grounds in the Premier League.

However, Ferguson is a huge fan.

“He’s a great talent and he wins you matches just when you need it the most.” And he did exactly that in the recent 2-0 win over Bolton alongside Ferguson at St James’s Park.

Looking back on his wonder goal, Ferguson said: “Ah, I just couldn’t believe it. It was one of the best goals I have ever seen.”

And Ferguson is loving playing alongside the French magician – a personality that has fitted in excellently at Newcastle’s Benton base.

The Derry lad said: “Hatem is a really nice person and everybody gets on well with him. All of the lads get on, to be fair. There are no cliques and it is going very well.”

Born in Northern Ireland in 1991, the Toon young gun hasn’t forgotten his roots.

Now a fully-fledged Northern Ireland international, the left-sided player regularly invites his pals from Derry over to Newcastle.

Ferguson may look like butter wouldn’t melt in his mouth, but the youngster can take the knocks.

A former pupil at St Mary’s High School in Derry, Ferguson played Gaelic football as a kid and spent six years with Derry City.

But what inspired him to make the rise to the Premier League?

“When I was a kid I just used to look up to Ryan Giggs,” he said.

“Everything about him I liked. He was a great model for me when I was growing up.

“I’m a player who likes to take people on.

“Whenever I get the ball I like to do it and hear the fans getting louder and louder.

“It’s such a great feeling.

“When you hear that you just want to run all day for them.

“I just love doing that sort of stuff.”

Ferguson will be looking for more of that against Stoke City this weekend – and the Toon Academy product had a message for the United faithful.

He said: “I want to excite the fans. More importantly, we’ll be looking to get another three points on the board against Stoke.”

Ronny Gill.

Did Fergie's mam write that?

No, worse, it was CT

Pages stuck together ,are they?

CT's missus has given up complaining about being called "Little Shane" in bed, it's the only way she can get him to show her any kind of warmth :(

;)

• 3 months later...

I don't see this with Ferguson..Never seen anything which makes me think this guy is going to be a great player. Surely if he was breaking through he would of had a more prominent role in pre-season with the likes of Abeid, Ameobi and Vuckic?

We are missing out by having a right footed player playing on the left.The play slows down,so Jonas needs shifting from the left.Remember Scot Sellers.Him and Beresford kept things ticking over down the left due to both of them being left footed.The same when Sheedy played.Santon is right footed so nowt is going to happen on a regular basis with neebody left footed on the left.

Edited by essembeeofsunderland

ferguson has an abundance of pace and acceleration but not much else technically imo. jonas's work rate alone dictates his inclusion for me. the simple fact is if these youngsters were good enough they'd be playing.