Shane Ferguson tearing apart international opposition

Christmas Tree

Shane Ferguson is raw but has potential as we have seen yet he isn't someone I'd start ahead of Jonas who works his bollocks off for the team and is more of an asset than he gets credit for.

We all know Jonas should be able to deliver a better end product but the energy he expends in helping out the team defensive wise can nullify his attacking options a lot.

Ferguson still needs to be slowly pitched into the team in sub roles I think, for this season at least so he can get to proper grips with the rigours of regular energy zapping physical premier games.

Jonas does a lot of helping out at the back when he's played on the left of midfield and is the reason why Enrique coped so well and he will make it easier for Santon as well if that's the left side of next seasons team.

Ferguson looks tidy going forward but will he have Jonas's energy to get back quickly when play breaks down. I haven;t seen nowhere near enough of him to say he warrants a regular Premier start but I'm sure he will get his cup run out's to stake his claim.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jonas is a bloody quality player. Give him the ball and he'll either keep hold of it, pass it to a B&W shirt or win a free kick. He is rarely wasteful with the ball.

I don't buy the "no end product" argument. Football has moved on from having out and out wingers who whip balls into the box for a burly, bustling striker. It's about ball retention, possession football and a team player. Love him to bits.

The challenge for Shane, Sammy or any young player at the club is to be able to "keep up" as the quality at the club rises. Being on the cusp of the first team this year will be a lot harder than last year.

Good of course for the club and the fans but some youngsters will need to move on as the club out grows them.

• 2 weeks later...

Jonas is a bloody quality player. Give him the ball and he'll either keep hold of it, pass it to a B&W shirt or win a free kick. He is rarely wasteful with the ball.

I don't buy the "no end product" argument. Football has moved on from having out and out wingers who whip balls into the box for a burly, bustling striker. It's about ball retention, possession football and a team player. Love him to bits.

I agree.

We have quality in our side but we need a work ethic or we'll just end up like a team of big time Charlies. Jonas is a great outlet and gets us time and deadballs and can also thread a good ball through.

_62306628_150812dk001.jpg

Pleased for him but that's the first time I've seen that kit. Looks canny. :good:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
After playing his first 90 minutes of the season during Tuesday night's Barclays Under-21 Premier League draw with Sunderland, Shane Ferguson declared himself raring to go for Newcastle's Europa League match in Maritimo.

The Derry-born youngster missed most of pre-season with a groin injury - then picked up another knock while playing - and scoring - for Northern Ireland in their 3-3 draw with Finland in August.

But he played 75 minutes for his country in their World Cup qualifying draw against Luxembourg before playing the whole game against a strong Black Cats Reserve side in a 2-2 draw at the Sports Direct Arena.

And he told nufc.co.uk: "It was brilliant just to be back playing and it was great to play 90 minutes.

"I'm pleased to be back in the swing of things now and to be back playing regular football. It's great and I'm hoping to try and get fitter every game.

"This was my first match back here since I got injured with Northern Ireland and it was just to get 90 minutes before the next match on Thursday.

"It was a brilliant match - just end to end. It was exciting to play in and there was a good atmosphere in the stadium."

Ferguson played at left-back on Tuesday but several of his 18 first-team appearances for Newcastle have came on the left-hand side of midfield.

And the 21-year-old Academy graduate said: "I'll play where I'm asked to play - wherever the manager needs me.

"Now I just hope to push on, try to push on and make a mark in the team, and get myself back in the squad."

SHANE Ferguson’s got the best left foot at Newcastle United – and fans are going to see a lot of it in action this season.

That’s the verdict of manager Alan Pardew ahead of tonight’s game against Manchester United.

Ferguson – who missed the start of the season through injury – is in the squad for the third-round Capital One Cup tie at Old Trafford.

The 21-year-old can play at left-back or on the wing.

And Pardew feels the Northern Ireland international’s versatility, like that of Jonas Gutierrez, will be an asset to the club over the coming years.

“He’s definitely going to play down that left side,” Pardew told the Gazette.

“You could look at Jonas, who can play left wing, left-back, central midfield or the No10 role.

“I think Fergie is going to be one like him. He’s like Jonas – he’ll play in any position and anywhere down that left side, and do it well.

“He’s got a great chance. He’s quick and fast, and he has probably got the best natural left-foot delivery at the football club.

Sometimes we lack that in games, which means he’s a lovely asset to have.”

Pardew joked about putting slightly-built Ferguson on a “steak and milk” diet to build him up after taking over at Newcastle.And once he gets stronger – physically and mentally – there’ll be no stopping him, according to Pardew.

“We just want to get him a bit stronger and mentally tougher,” he said.

“He needs to know what it’s really about at this level.

Once again, some lead some follow ;)

Edited by Christmas Tree

Came on to try and turn the game.

Turned the game with virtually his first touch.

Then we ignored him for the majority of the remaining game.

Madness.

Did again what he always tries to do which is to get the ball into a great goal scoring situation as quick as possible.

Really like Fergie, not as much as CT but still.

Don't think I have ever not been impressed with him, has tenacity for a little lad, pace, that bit of skill to take on a player and a good cross.

Just surprised he hasn't been used more, although injuries have played a part.