Shane Ferguson tearing apart international opposition

Christmas Tree

Breaking news, Londonderry Sentinel!!!:

Shane Ferguson.

Published on Sunday 10 February 2013 11:04

EGLINTON man Shane Ferguson could be on his way out of Newcastle United.

However Northern Ireland and local Toon fans fear not, as the talented winger is likely to just be going out on loan until the end of the season, with a host of Championship clubs likely to be interested.

The 21-year-old feels with the recent signings of Moussa Sissoko, Yoan Gouffran and Mathieu Debuchy to name but a few, his chances of first team action may be limited over the coming months.

“Since the new lads came to the club, I knew my opportunities were going to be limited for a while and I have spoken to the manager about going out on loan,” stated Ferguson.

“I’m happy enough to have played quite a few Premier League and Europa League games this season which is all a learning curve but I need to play regularly.

“Alan Pardew has been terrific and talks to me quite a lot and we have both agreed going out and gaining first-team experience on a regular basis would be a good thing for me and my career.

“I signed a five-year deal with Newcastle at the start of last season and the loan move is just about experience; the manager has told me my future is very much with Newcastle and that is good to hear.

“To be honest, I am looking forward to going out on loan. If you look at players like David Beckham and Paul Scholes when they were coming through at Manchester United all those years ago, they knew it would help their development so I would never be so arrogant to think it wouldn’t improve me, playing down the leagues.

“I haven’t spoken to anyone yet as the loan window doesn’t open until after the international break but hopefully I can get a club sorted out quickly.”

With boss Alan Pardew signing a host of French players during the recent transfer window, the ex-Maiden City Academy starlet feels the St James’ Park squad can only get stronger because of the new additions.

“Our dressing room is a bit like being back at school at the minute with all the French players the club have managed to attract,” he joked.

“I was taught French in High School but to be honest I didn’t really have a clue what was going on.

“I know a lot of the players do try to pick up a new language and play the lessons in the car on the way to and back from training but I don’t really think I am cut out for that.

“Even though I can’t speak their language I don’t think it particularly matters as the football does the talking when it matters.

“Some people have questioned us bringing in so many players but it was clear to see we needed a bigger squad and the fact that so many of the lads are French means it will probably help them settle in a lot quicker, too, which can only be good for the club.”

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's amazing how Christmas Tree has stopped bringing Shane up as our attacking saviour all of a sudden.

One of your usual stupid comments.

No point going on about him when it's clear that Pardew will only ever pick Jonas and a seriously out of form Jonas at that. (What's the betting Gouffran gets dropped).

As for Ferguson he has done well when tactics have allowed him to attack. 3 assists, still more than Jonas or your man Sammy. When made to play the Jonas role he has looked poor.

I hope he does well on loan and finds a club that will play to his strengths and utilise "the best left foot at Newcastle".

You can look at all the young raw talent and ask who has really improved under Pardew? Vuckic, Abeid, Gosling, etc etc

Good luck to the lad.

CT man, do you still not get it? Ferguson was never the cure to what ailed us. Sissoko, Gouffran and Debuchy were. Some lightweight inexperienced left winger wasn't suddenly going to turn the team around. We needed Cabaye back, we needed Taylor and Colo in the centre, we needed a central midfield of Cabaye, Tiote and Anita/Jonas, not Perch Anita and Jonas.

Can't you see that the base for your argument was mental?

CT man, do you still not get it? Ferguson was never the cure to what ailed us. Sissoko, Gouffran and Debuchy were. Some lightweight inexperienced left winger wasn't suddenly going to turn the team around. We needed Cabaye back, we needed Taylor and Colo in the centre, we needed a central midfield of Cabaye, Tiote and Anita/Jonas, not Perch Anita and Jonas.

Look at the examples he gave man, woman, man! There is no other reasons why Vuckic, Abeid and Gosling haven't torn the league a new arsehole yet except Pardew's mismanagement. If they played under someone like Steve Clarke they would be Lampard-esque by now.

Edited by Gejon

Look at the examples he game man, woman, man! There is no other reasons why Vuckic, Abeid and Gosling haven't torn the league a new arsehole yet except Pardew's mismanagement. If they played under someone like Steve Clarke they would be Lampard-esque by now.

I glossed over that bit. For a man who doesn't play Football Manager, he doesn't half bang on as if it's the framework for success.

3 superb assists when allowed to play his natural game proves my argument was sound. Its no good you simply wishing we had a full strength team out Sherlock as that never happens. That shouldnt digress from the fact that Jonas has been pure shite all season.

I appreciate you have lost Wolfy and are currently missing your inane argument fix, however this ones pretty pointless as the time has gone.

Look at the examples he gave man, woman, man! There is no other reasons why Vuckic, Abeid and Gosling haven't torn the league a new arsehole yet except Pardew's mismanagement. If they played under someone like Steve Clarke they would be Lampard-esque by now.

Should he not have brought any of them on during his tenure?

Yeah, but we disagree on the reason. When he broke through he would go rampaging forward, get stuck in and fear no one. Its quite clear to me that Pardew has coached him into a more reserved Jonas type player. Caution first, hold back.

Im sure he'll blossom out on loan.

We've not been in a position recently where we could allow Ferguson to play but not in a shift defensively (i.e. "caution first", "reserved Jonas type"). He hadn't earned the right to haee a free Ben Arfa-like role and he's a left back by trade is he not?

Well given two of them are always injured it's no shock, we as a club don't have a great record of bringing players through so I can't see how it's a Pardew problem. Bigiramana has looked good though when played in fact surely most of Ferguson's performances (ie the ones that caught your eye to think he was something special) must have come under the manager you are blaming for failing the youth players? :unsure2:

Also if you are including Gosling you have to include Santon as they were around the same age when they were brought in.

What youth players have we brought through to be a success in the last decade or so? Carroll, Taylor and at a real stretch Shola? Even Carroll is looking like he was a flash in the pan and the most amazing piece of business we will ever get away with.

It doesn't work like that.

You seem deeply afraid of criticising players outside of Jonas, putting all the blame at the manager's feet. Abeid hasn't played a single league game for us - what makes you think he should be playing? Vuckic has looked half decent to be fair, his problems are injuries, not the manager's fault. Gosling is injured all the time and has yet to really impress at any level - what makes you think he's better than that?

In Pardew's first half-season, we had a fairly settled starting 11, and that continued into last season. This season we've been forced to use the younger players, they've had to play in testing times (never the best environment) and have struggled due to the circumstances perhaps, but possibly because they're not that good. I can't say right now that any one of our U21 side should go on to make it. I haven't seen enough of them and impressing at reserve and lower league level doesn't count for much.

What I will say is that I wish we'd let more go out on loan, and I wish we'd done so earlier in the season. The failure to strengthen in the summer has not only cost us points but it forced us to use players like Tav and Sammy as opposed to easing them into a side in a good place, instead of sending them out loan so they can play first team football week in week out. Pointless having players like Abeid just playing in the U21 league and never really threatening the first team.

Doesn't mean a great deal but we've got 2 players on our books who might well play at Wembley this season (Good for Bradford and Inman for Crewe if they get into the JPT final as it looks like they will). The experience they'll have gained will do wonders for their careers - it might not be at NUFC but they'll be far better equipped to play first team football next season than some of our other youngsters.

3 superb assists when allowed to play his natural game proves my argument was sound. Its no good you simply wishing we had a full strength team out Sherlock as that never happens. That shouldnt digress from the fact that Jonas has been pure shite all season.

I appreciate you have lost Wolfy and are currently missing your inane argument fix, however this ones pretty pointless as the time has gone.

:lol:

So, in a team desperately needing balance, defensive strength and rigidity you want to field an inexperienced left winger/full back. It's classic Football customer problem. You pin your colours to one player or system on a whim, with zero appreciation of the larger issues at play.

By the way, they weren't "superb" assists. Cabaye's assist for Cisse against Swansea last season was superb. Santon's for Sissoko's winner against Chelsea was good. You're no different to the people who've come on here because we've signed Kluivert or whomever. They follow football like teenage girls follow pop-groups. So do you.

If Cabaye suddenly became atrocious, my current affection and support would Wayne. Ferguson has done fuck all to deserve the level of support you give him, yet you were holding him up as the answer to everything. As if simply by having him on the pitch would stop the centre of the pitch from being weak as piss and lacking in ideas. As if his presence in the stadia would have the strikers finding their shooting boots. Simply having his name on the team sheet would magic Williamson into a competent centre half. Your mantra was "we need creativity on the left", "We need wing play". We didn't. We needed strength in depth so that when Cabaye, Tiote, Colo, Ben Arfa, & Taylor are unavailable we aren't relying upon the likes of the untested Anita to be our quarterback, the limited Perch to be our Tiote, the inept Williamson to lead from the back, the guileless Obertan to provide magic from the right etc.

Ferguson is a young player of some promise. He is not, was not, will not be some theriac, regardless of how loud you shout it.

Edit: Sorry meant the pass for Cisse's against Stoke

Edited by The Fish

Wasting your breath Fish. CT has no clue whatsoever about football. He's just on here to be contrary and look for an argument, so stop quoting the silly cunt and slap him on ignore.

Ferguson will never make it at NUFC and that's got nothing to do with Pardew, Jonas, Mike Ashley, the stars and moons, or the price of bread. He's not good enough. I wish him the best but Haidara is surely his replacement and he must know that.

:lol:

So, in a team desperately needing balance, defensive strength and rigidity you want to field an inexperienced left winger/full back. It's classic Football customer problem. You pin your colours to one player or system on a whim, with zero appreciation of the larger issues at play.

By the way, they weren't "superb" assists. Cabaye's assist for Cisse against Swansea last season was superb. Santon's for Sissoko's winner against Chelsea was good. You're no different to the people who've come on here because we've signed Kluivert or whomever. They follow football like teenage girls follow pop-groups. So do you.

If Cabaye suddenly became atrocious, my current affection and support would Wayne. Ferguson has done fuck all to deserve the level of support you give him, yet you were holding him up as the answer to everything. As if simply by having him on the pitch would stop the centre of the pitch from being weak as piss and lacking in ideas. As if his presence in the stadia would have the strikers finding their shooting boots. Simply having his name on the team sheet would magic Williamson into a competent centre half. Your mantra was "we need creativity on the left", "We need wing play". We didn't. We needed strength in depth so that when Cabaye, Tiote, Colo, Ben Arfa, & Taylor are unavailable we aren't relying upon the likes of the untested Anita to be our quarterback, the limited Perch to be our Tiote, the inept Williamson to lead from the back, the guileless Obertan to provide magic from the right etc.

Ferguson is a young player of some promise. He is not, was not, will not be some theriac, regardless of how loud you shout it.

Edit: Sorry meant the pass for Cisse's against Stoke

This is just so typical of one of your pious rants Ive stopped reading it. Suffice to say we didn't need defensive rigidity on the left we needed someone who could create goal opportunities.

That is why until the French Revolution we were on our arse.

This is just so typical of one of your pious rants Ive stopped reading it. Suffice to say we didn't need defensive rigidity on the left we needed someone who could create goal opportunities.

That is why until the French Revolution we were on our arse.

Where did I say we need defensive rigidity on the left? I didn't at all.

By the way, is that the same French Revolution that consists of a right back, a centre half, a left back, a midfield monster and a striker?

So at least 70% defensive?

You're thick as fuck when it comes to football, you really are. If we don't have the ball how can "Shane" sling in one of these "superb" assists? Our possession retention was woeful, but I'm sure a winger would solve that, right? Except they don't.

Why would you play a lightweight winger when your left back is struggling?

Why would you play a lightweight winger when your centre can't keep hold of the ball?

Why would you play a lightweight winger when your unable to recycle possession properly?

Stick to fads and fatty acids man

Where did I say we need defensive rigidity on the left? I didn't at all.

By the way, is that the same French Revolution that consists of a right back, a centre half, a left back, a midfield monster and a striker?

So at least 70% defensive?

You're thick as fuck when it comes to football, you really are. If we don't have the ball how can "Shane" sling in one of these "superb" assists? Our possession retention was woeful, but I'm sure a winger would solve that, right? Except they don't.

Why would you play a lightweight winger when your left back is struggling?

Why would you play a lightweight winger when your centre can't keep hold of the ball?

Why would you play a lightweight winger when your unable to recycle possession properly?

Stick to fads and fatty acids man

You thick fucker :lol: we never had any problem getting the ball to the left, the problem was Jonas having no end product and not being able to clear the first man.

No chances = no goals = no points

When the forwards and the midfield consistently see no end product they stop taking a chance, stop making runs.

Again as I predicted, Marveaux totally changed our style of play when moved to the middle.

Our season wasn't simply about who we didn't buy or who was injured, it was about a manager deploying negative tactics and not having a clue how to deploy the players he did have.

All now nicely papered over though given the new recruits.

Aye, Marveaux in for Jonas saw us score a few goals. We also conceded 15 in four games and lost all four of them.

Marveaux in the middle was us finally playing some good attacking football. If you want to judge that by been pipped 4-3 by Man U and then the Pardew inspired capitulation against Arsenal then so be it.

I'm pretty damn sure however had we utilised in the same position and had a threat on the left, then we would have won far more games , particularly against lesser teams than Arsenal or Man U.

It's a pointless argument however because we can't go back and re run it.

And I wish people would stop banging on about Jonas and "end product". Have you ever heard a manager talk about "end product"? There is a hell of a lot more to a wide midfield role than whipping a ball in for a striker.

Take Saturday for example. Sissoko got the assist, but Jonas' first time ball out wide past Walker was quite special. Then there was the clever sideways pass for Cabaye, whose first touch was ever so slightly too heavy, meaning the keeper got to it first. But neither of these are assists, so neither count as end product.

Marveaux came on in a central role on Saturday and was thoroughly anonymous. There was no end product there, but equally as important there was no working for the team, putting them under pressure when they had possession.

Marveaux has a decent first touch and an eye for a pass, but it's like playing with 10 men when we don't have possession.