Shane Ferguson tearing apart international opposition

Christmas Tree

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nowt wrong with the lad being a squad player. He's extra cover for left back or wing and can be pretty sold with the ball at his feet. Maybe not a first team regular but certainly a league above some of the other squad players we have.

Guest alex

He's just talking the young kid up tbf. Don't mind that at all and the likes of him being on the bench are fine by me - i.e. young, hungry and able to (at least in theory) play a role as an impact sub.

Guest alex
I think he's a good player, doesn't take long to see if a player has the right mentality if they look composed and aware, which he does.

He's neat and tidy on the ball which is a must for his position. When you look at Routledge he looked dangerous at times but part of the reason I don't think he can cut it in the PL is that the ball just didn't stick to him often enough. Not saying Ferguson will make it because I honestly think it's far too early to tell but the kid has a chance.

I think he's a good player, doesn't take long to see if a player has the right mentality if they look composed and aware, which he does.

He's neat and tidy on the ball which is a must for his position. When you look at Routledge he looked dangerous at times but part of the reason I don't think he can cut it in the PL is that the ball just didn't stick to him often enough. Not saying Ferguson will make it because I honestly think it's far too early to tell but the kid has a chance.

When you collect the ball under pressure, your brain is actually calculating hundreds of 'difference equations' on the trajectory of the ball, your momentum, other players movements and momentum etc. The best players in the world always look to have time on the ball as their brains are capable of calculating how to move and where to put the ball with their first touch (and the technique to do it) which maximises the space around them, whilst preparing for the next pass or move. :rolleyes:

Routledge with the ball at his feet in space is dangerous, in tight positions he doesnt look in control as presumably his brain isnt working properly. Whether Fergie has this skill remains to be seen, for the brain to do all this lightning fast and under pressure you need composure. As you say, he's got a chance. He seemed able to collect the ball under pressure from the Chelsea players and use it well, not just knock it back to whoever gave it to him or send it to someone else in a worse position, a classic trait of those without composure (or trust in their technique at least).

Nowt wrong with the lad being a squad player. He's extra cover for left back or wing and can be pretty sold with the ball at his feet. Maybe not a first team regular but certainly a league above some of the other squad players we have.

I thought you wanted to sell Jonas and start him every week.

Guest alex

Funny the role confidence plays as well. When I've seen Routledge for QPR he looks the part. Now, obviously the standard is different but Routledge actually seems to have a better first touch too. You wouldn't have thought the difference would be that discernible but he's obviously within his comfort zone in that division which probably means he does things naturally. I'm not sure how much thought comes into it as I'm not sure you have the time to think. I suppose we're getting into the difference between being clever and having a football brain (see Gazza, for example). Ferguson looks like he has a 'football brain' that can function at a higher standard. He hasn't proved it yet like, coming on as sub and even starting the Chelsea game is probably less high pressured than some of the early season games Routledge started in so it's maybe not a fair comparison either. The one thing I would say is that I'd guard against getting too carried away because, given his build, you normally have to be a bit special in other areas to make it in the PL. Ferguson hasn't shown that yet even if he has looked promising.

I thought you wanted to sell Jonas and start him every week.

I do, but I was trying to keep things "real" for the sanity of others.

In my world, Shane to left back, LuaLua to left wing.

And the opposition to rape us down their right.

with that level of experience, absolutely.

this brings another point, with the mooted departure of enrique, and no obvious players to directly replace him, are we to see ferguson as a stand in left back next season.

or what?

When you collect the ball under pressure, your brain is actually calculating hundreds of 'difference equations' on the trajectory of the ball, your momentum, other players movements and momentum etc. The best players in the world always look to have time on the ball as their brains are capable of calculating how to move and where to put the ball with their first touch (and the technique to do it) which maximises the space around them, whilst preparing for the next pass or move. :rolleyes:

Routledge with the ball at his feet in space is dangerous, in tight positions he doesnt look in control as presumably his brain isnt working properly. Whether Fergie has this skill remains to be seen, for the brain to do all this lightning fast and under pressure you need composure. As you say, he's got a chance. He seemed able to collect the ball under pressure from the Chelsea players and use it well, not just knock it back to whoever gave it to him or send it to someone else in a worse position, a classic trait of those without composure (or trust in their technique at least).

agree with all of that

this brings another point, with the mooted departure of enrique, and no obvious players to directly replace him, are we to see ferguson as a stand in left back next season.

or what?

how tall is he ?

or what?

Probably not, but last October Beardsley was gushing in the media about him being Enriques understudy.

NIGEL Worthington fears he is about to lose Shane Ferguson to the Republic of Ireland.

The Newcastle United player is a full Northern Ireland international. But Fifa rules mean he could yet switch allegiance to the south.

Preston North End defender Daniel Devine is the latest to make the move, and Worthington expects the left-sided player to be next.

The rulebook allows a player to only be committed to a certain country once they have played competitive senior international football for them. Ferguson’s solitary cap was against Italy, in June 2009.

The 1998 Good Friday Agreement allows those born in Northern Ireland to claim either British or Irish nationality. It has allowed Darron Gibson, Shane Duffy, Marc Wilson, Daniel Kearns and Paul George to play for the Republic.

Northern Ireland manager Worthington wants to see the rule changed.

“It needs to be more black and white – to put all the indecision to bed once and for all,” he said. “It’s frustrating and disappointing that a lot of time, energy, commitment and finance goes into these players over a period of years and then when they are 17, 18, 19 or even 20, there is the opportunity for them, because of the ruling, to vacate to another country.

“There is a good production line here and to lose them is disappointing.

“I’ve left voicemails, text messages and made random calls to Shane but at no time did we get a reply.”

The 19-year-old – a left-back or left-sided midfielder – made his second Premier League start at Chelsea in Sunday’s 2-2 draw. He also has four substitute appearances, and two League Cup run-outs for the Magpies.

Is this sort of indirectly linked to the Neil Lennon shennanigans?...

Are Ferguson and all the lads listed in the article Catholics?

Shame if thats the case. Or I may be reading too much into it. Damn this fence is getting sore... :rolleyes:

I honestly think you're missing the point entirely Ant.

The professional issue lies in the training and speaking as a registered IFA coach I can vouch for the hard work that goes into the development of players within Northern Ireland. As far as I'm aware there's no issue of religion when bringing up players in our youth system and when you've poured money, resources and time into improving such players it's a bit of a slap in the face when they go and play for someone else.

I would have no problem whatsoever if a player like that was born and raised in Northern Ireland and then played for the South, as you rightly point out it's their legal right. Just don't do it after coming through anothers youth system. Any other country in the world would resent such a decision from a player.

SHANE FERGUSON is ready to commit himself to a future at left-back with Newcastle United.

The young Irishman goes into the game with West Brom tomorrow vying for a place in midfield after shining on the left wing against Chelsea last Sunday.

Fergie was deemed an attacking midfielder during his days as a second-string regular, but has enjoyed deputising for Jose Enrique this season, and is keen to continue his apprenticeship in the Premier League as a full-back.

With Enrique’s future still uncertain and with the Spaniard having just a year left of his current deal, it could be a case of opportunity knocks for the player, who is the subject of an international tug-of-war between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.

Ferguson told the Chronicle: “I see myself as a left-back now, and feel comfortable there, but I also like playing on the wing.

“I’d love to start the West Brom game, but I’ve just got to wait and see.

“Hopefully, I’ve shown I can do a job for the manager.”

Ferguson admits this season has been an unexpected bonus, and the 19-year-old could not have imagined he would be an instant hit with the Toon Army.

He added: “I’ve had so much experience this year. I’ve got to thank the manager for giving me the chance.

“I’m really happy for that.

“To be honest, I don’t really want the season to end, as it’s been going so well at the minute.”

But Fergie admits he wants to check out on a high, and added: “We’ve been working hard in training, and we want to push on in the last game and get that top-10 spot.

“I’ve got to keep working hard, and look forward to next year.

“Hopefully, next season will go well for me and I can build on this year.

“I just have to have a good pre-season, keep my head down, and keep working hard.”

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk

He reminds me a bit of Jonas - good at alleviating pressure, due to his ability to run with the ball at his feet.

Yet to see any sign of a final ball from him though.

Edited by Jonny2J