Shane Ferguson tearing apart international opposition

Christmas Tree

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fergie: 'The Best Goal I've Seen'

Shane Ferguson lauded Hatem Ben Arfa's wonder goal against Bolton as the best he's ever seen in the flesh - and revealed how he wants to learn from the French international.

With the score at 0-0 and Newcastle struggling to break the visitors down, the gifted Gaul produced a turn in his own half which left Sam Ricketts floundering before bursting through the middle of the Trotters defence and poking the ball past Adam Bogdan.

It changed the game, with Papiss Cisse adding a second as United ran out 2-0 winners, and was the latest in a long line of super strikes from Ben Arfa, who now has six for the season - each one of them special in their own way.

His effort against Blackburn in the FA Cup, in particular, was one for the scrapbook but his latest was arguably even better - certainly in the eyes of fellow left-footer Ferguson, who told nufc.co.uk that it was top of the list when it came to goals he has seen live.

"Aye, definitely," he said. "The turn at the beginning started it off, then what he did after. People were trying to kick him and he just stayed on his feet, and then the finish too.

"There's not many people who can do it. He's just a talent and in training he does that day in, day out.

"It's good for us youngsters because we're learning stuff off him - all the new tricks and stuff. You just want to be like that.

"He's something special, and what he does with the ball is just frightening. It just shows what he can do. He's getting fitter and fitter each time and it shows there on the pitch."

Ben Arfa is getting stronger as the season goes on, and the same could be said for 20-year-old Ferguson, who has figured in three of the Magpies' last four games after recovering from a groin injury sustained on international duty with Northern Ireland.

He replaced James Perch at half-time and earned praise from Alan Pardew for the impact he made on the left wing.

"I loved it," he smiled. "It was great to get on. It was disappointing that Perchy came off injured but I was just glad to get on the pitch.

"I just tried to make an impact, really. I tried to get at their defenders and work hard for the team.

"It's just good to be involved with the team as we come towards the end of the season. The lads have been fantastic and they just want to take each game as it comes and see how it goes for the rest of the season."

:lol: He'll be a canny little player. CT just despises Jonas because he's hung his hat on Ferguson and wants him to come good. Must we forget Lua-Lua.

Totally unfair. :(

The only problem I have ever had with Jonas is his creativity. His work rate has been exceptional.

Because he's a good guy, a lot on here overlooked his lack of creativity but at the end of the day my point about him still stands.

I was obviously keen for anyone to be given a chance on the left wing be that Lua Lua, Ferguson or Marveaux.

Thankfully, we have now found a system that has overcome Jonas playing in that role and we are reaping the benefits and look a lot more creative team.

However as I've said elsewhere today, I think we are more creative when Guthrie is part of the midfield three and not Jonas. Where that leaves poor spidey for next season I'm not sure.

Ferguson is a great player to have in the squad, particularly as he's the only left footed one. He is young, isnt afraid to get stuck in and heads for goal every time he has the ball. He is also mature enough to know when to play the safe ball.

Most Newcastle fans used to like seeing a young'un breaking through so Im guessing the only reason he gets grief on here is due to a few contrary twats. ;)

NB: While I am not a kiss and tell, even today I have had a PM from someone claiming also not to be a fan of Jonas :lol:

PM's for fucks sake...... Dont be afraid of the forum bullies :)

Edited by Christmas Tree

:lol: He'll be a canny little player. CT just despises Jonas because he's hung his hat on Ferguson and wants him to come good. Must we forget Lua-Lua.

The only problem I have ever had with Jonas is his creativity. His work rate has been exceptional.

Because he's a good guy, a lot on here overlooked his lack of creativity but at the end of the day my point about him still stands.

I was obviously keen for anyone to be given a chance on the left wing be that Lua Lua, Ferguson or Marveaux.

Thankfully, we have now found a system that has overcome Jonas playing in that role and we are reaping the benefits and look a lot more creative team.

However as I've said elsewhere today, I think we are more creative when Guthrie is part of the midfield three and not Jonas. Where that leaves poor spidey for next season I'm not sure.

Ferguson is a great player to have in the squad, particularly as he's the only left footed one. He is young, isnt afraid to get stuck in and heads for goal every time he has the ball. He is also mature enough to know when to play the safe ball.

Most Newcastle fans used to like seeing a young'un breaking through so Im guessing the only reason he gets grief on here is due to a few contrary twats. ;)

NB: While I am not a kiss and tell, even today I have had a PM from someone claiming also not to be a fan of Jonas :lol:

Jonas isn't ineffective though? Stewart Downing has been completely ineffective out wide, so much so that Marveaux actually has more assists than him and he's only played 4/5 Prem games. I love seeing a good young-un come through and fair play, Ferguson looks really good. But, so do Abeid, Vuckic and Sammy and you're not tugging yourself off over them. You rate Ferguson and aye, it's fair but it's also because you have a gripe against Gutierrez because he doesn't get chalk on his boots as much as you'd like, despite having a few assists this season from a wide position and some brilliant defensive work down the flank.

PS. Forum bullies is ridiculous carry-on and makes you sound like a total bairn. If you put your opinions out there, they're fully entitled to be debated with and picked apart.

Edited by Ayatollah Hermione

Jonas isn't ineffective though? Stewart Downing has been completely ineffective out wide, so much so that Marveaux actually has more assists than him and he's only played 4/5 Prem games. I love seeing a good young-un come through and fair play, Ferguson looks really good. But, so do Abeid, Vuckic and Sammy and you're not tugging yourself off over them. You rate Ferguson and aye, it's fair but it's also because you have a gripe against Gutierrez because he doesn't get chalk on his boots as much as you'd like, despite having a few assists this season from a wide position and some brilliant defensive work down the flank.

PS. Forum bullies is ridiculous carry-on and makes you sound like a total bairn. If you put your opinions out there, they're fully entitled to be debated with and picked apart.

First of all, I didnt say he was ineffective, I said he wasnt very creative, which he isnt.

With regard to Abeid, Vuckic and Sammy, I havent seen anything of them personally to get that excited about. From what Ive seen of Sammy, I think he looks very average.

With the other two Vuckic seems to be struggling to make his mark but thats not that surprising given the quality we have in midfield. Abeid sounds a great prospect but again I havent seen anything of him with my own eyes.

Ferguson however is the one out of all three that has moved on a bit and yes, he competes in an area of the field where we have failed to create under a 442 system with Jonas. Thats why he stands out for me.

Re the bully remark, that was a jokey remark aimed at the person who PM'd today saying they didnt rate Jonas, not at you. Surely you should know by now Im not a shrinking violet :)

Edited by Christmas Tree

Vuckic's performance against West Brom far exceeds anything Ferguson has done so far, nowt against Ferguson he looks decent but Vuckic has shown the most out of our younger prospects.

Yet Fergusons the one that keeps getting on...... Go figure!

See, it's posts like this that means I dismiss much of your predictions or opinions.

The sheer volume of reasons to bring on Shane Ferguson ahead of Vuckic that have nothing to do with ability could knock out a troll.

Yet Fergusons the one that keeps getting on...... Go figure!

well sammy was until he got injured...

And Sammy only got in because Ferguson got injured ;)

Ferguson was playing left-back in the game he got injured in though.

He's enthusiastic and fit and has injected that enthusiasm when he has come on. Custom fit as a late sub at this stage of his career, but still should be getting full games under his belt in the reserves.

If we had more depth it would be nice to send him out on loan to one of the promoted clubs next year.

Can keep Ben Arfa company.

If we had more depth it would be nice to send him out on loan to one of the promoted clubs next year.

Can keep Ben Arfa company.

Let's send Cisse out as well. He's only played 9 games in the Premiership so far so he could really use the experience.