Shane Ferguson tearing apart international opposition

Christmas Tree

Wins the most free-kicks in the entire league, plus a bunch of corners as well - we're not seeing much benefit from this because our free-kick takers have beeen ordinary this season since Ryan Taylor was injured, plus we seem to always have the same plan to loft it in to Wiliamson who doesn't create chances even if he is first to the ball. Jonas would get balls into the box quicker if he was played down the right, but I don't think his crossing would suddenly improve markedly.

Ferguson should be used off the bench for impact. Starting him in the league would not be good for him or us IMO.

What's better? Winning free kicks, corners or assists.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's better is having players that can graft a full 90 minutes and hold the ball up, gain free kicks and weigh in with the odd wonder strike and the odd cross.

Ferguson is a good kid and is an effective impact sub. I just don't think he's got 90 minutes in him for how people want him to be used. He's no Gareth Bale in the engine department.

It's Cabaye we need back with Tiote.

What's better? Winning free kicks, corners or assists.

1. Assists

2. Free-kicks (depending on location)

3. Corner

But that's hardly your point. I think Ferguson offers a great direct fresh option when he's on the pitch. There can be no argument about the quality of some of the balls he has put into the box. What I'm concerned about is sticking him out there for a full game and having his effectiveness reduced as a result. Make no mistake - when you've had Jonas and Santon playing in left channels cutting back onto their right and delaying firing balls into the box bringing on a direct left footed player like Ferguson has more of an impact. He'll be afforded extra time and space. Him having continual bright cameos will do more for him than having playing a whole game and not being as effective. You've seen him yourself in a reserves match across 90 minutes fail to have the same impact that he's shown in his first team cameos. Part of that is down to additional motivation wheen playing for the first team obviously, but I think the usefullness of him as an impact sub who can change things cannot be understated.

On the Jonas front I was merely pointing out something that others were missing in their discussion. In the last 2 games Jonas has not been his usual efffective self. He had a bad patch last season as well.

Some of his passing up the line for Obertan was tremendous. Kid's in great form.

Yup, thats what I liked the most tonight. Sheer quality balls up the line.

Twas also quality where he took it on his chest in our corner and calmly knocked it up the line.

Why the put him on the goal line for corners though :lol:

Tremendous to hear that he had a good game. Unfortunately wasn't able to watch this one. How did he handle the defensive duties?

Defensively he's nothing at all to get excited about, it's just a way of getting that left foot on the pitch

Fair enough. As other have noted the extra space afforded by coming from deeper may help in some ways. It would be great if he was up to the defensive duties, but with his frame it was always going to be a stretch.

Fair enough. As other have noted the extra space afforded by coming from deeper may help in some ways. It would be great if he was up to the defensive duties, but with his frame it was always going to be a stretch.

Aye, it's a case as whether one outweighs the other. The amount of attacks he set away by threading balls down the line for Obertan to get onto was quite impressive.

We were excellent down the left tonight.

Mouth waters at the prospect of a similar game but with Ben Arfa causing havoc from the right as well.

Aye, it's a case as whether one outweighs the other. The amount of attacks he set away by threading balls down the line for Obertan to get onto was quite impressive.

We were excellent down the left tonight.

Mouth waters at the prospect of a similar game but with Ben Arfa causing havoc from the right as well.

Against weaker opposition at home perhaps there's avenue to play Fergie at fullback (switching Santon to the right). Alternately both Santon and Fergie are comfortable pushing forward so allowing them to play together could be interesting.

Guest CanadianJack

With how bad Simpson is, I think there is mileage in the idea of moving Santon to RB and keeping Fergy at LB. Ben Arfa and Cabaye in front of Santon would be frightening for the opposition, and Jonas could drop back and assist Ferguson if he was coming under pressure.

The shit Simpson gets is massively over the top

I would normally agree with you and quite often defend him, but when you saw last night how well we can come out of defence with a kid, it just highlights how poor Simpson is.

He's not comfy on the ball and is always pointing for a player to pass elsewhere. Obviously he is way off match fitness as well, but that doesn't prevent his crapness.

What a difference Debuchy would have made.

Surely it's worth giving Santon a run out there, but as we already know, Pardew isn't one for yanking older pros.

Agreed. He's not the best but the owner wont pay more than 5 million for a full back so any possible replacement will have to be in the Cabaye category in terms of the old cheapness/quality ratio to be an improvement. You never know, but I'll not be holding my breath. Who's around at that price who would be infinetly better?...

I would normally agree with you and quite often defend him, but when you saw last night how well we can come out of defence with a kid, it just highlights how poor Simpson is.

He's not comfy on the ball and is always pointing for a player to pass elsewhere. Obviously he is way off match fitness as well, but that doesn't prevent his crapness.

What a difference Debuchy would have made.

Surely it's worth giving Santon a run out there, but as we already know, Pardew isn't one for yanking older pros.

Start him and play Santoine on the right. Best to keep ManU busy. If they start to camp in our half troubles will happen.

I'd worry about the left wing if he's the last line of defence.

One thing that seems to be forgotten amongst his recent appearances is his questionable fitness record. Right now we don't know if he can be relied upon.