Shane Ferguson tearing apart international opposition

Christmas Tree

Gutierrez is a decent PL player. If he had end product he'd be absolutely class but he'd be playing for a much better club anyway. And good LWs are like gold dust . I seriously doubt either Ferguson (a LB anyway by all accounts) or Lua Lua are the answer. I can understand why some people find Jonas frustrating though as I do myself. I would suggest he's far and away our best option there though.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

madness getting rid of him barney when the squad is so thin, i agree. we were bopund to pick up injuries and need him and he can't have even been on that much money either. i don't get it - he's actually looked pretty decent at times this season too.

We all thought that at the time as well but the primary consideration was obviously the agreement of QPR to buy Routledge if they came up. Not saying we should've agreed the deal on those grounds.

I don't think he has a future at nufc, but it was another case of letting players go before we had a replacement either lined up or already in.

Suicidal.

edit :

also, seems that he didn't particularly want to leave the club either.

Edited by Barney

Moncur: If it's not Enrique, I want Ferguson

IF Jose Enrique is not fit enough for our next game against Stoke City I would have no qualms whatsoever seeing the name of Shane Ferguson on the team-sheet.

That is the biggest compliment I can pay to United’s promising young left-back.

Ferguson impressed me greatly again in the defeat to Everton and showed we still have good youngsters coming through the ranks at St James’ Park.

You never want to build players up too much.

But for me, the way he approaches the game reminds me of a young Stuart Pearce coming through the ranks in football many years ago.

Of course, he is not the same build as Psycho, but he certainly seems to have the same hard-working principles.

He just keeps it nice and simple down the left, uses his great left peg to full advantage and gets in the necessary blocks when required.

He is also capable of piercing opposing defences when he gets forward.

I have to say, I would feel much better about life if I knew Jose Enrique was staying at St James’ Park.

If he is not, though, then we need to be prepared and nurturing Ferguson for the big stage is something I approve of.

Against Everton, in the limited time he had on the field, he caused plenty of problems and had David Moyes’ side on the backfoot.

He now has to build on that but, knowing he is a level-headed young lad, I am sure he will.

We also know the Northern Irish FA have a lot of faith in him and have already capped him, so it is a major coup for them to have the Derry lad on their books.

I would not like to tell Alan Pardew how to pick his team, but I am a great believer in round pegs in round holes.

It did not pay off by playing Danny Simpson on the right of midfield with Steven Taylor behind him.

The show must go on and next we have a big game at Stoke.

Win it and we can breathe easily again for a while, but lose it and we could be right back in the dogfight.

People talk about pivotal moments in a football season – this will be one of them.

Read More http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-u.../#ixzz1G0qUuGaN

Gutierrez :lol: and Ferguson vying for left-back

ALAN PARDEW is considering playing Jonas Gutierrez at left-back against Stoke City on March 19.

Jose Enrique – who faced more medical assessment today – could be facing a spell on the sidelines at a crucial stage in the season as United look to conjure up the points needed to ensure a second consecutive season of top-flight football.

The Spaniard would be a big miss, but Pardew feels Gutierrez or one-time Northern Ireland international Shane Ferguson is capable of filling the void.

The United boss threw Ferguson on for the last half-an-hour against Everton. The 19-year-old’s performance was one of the few positives from the defeat and Pardew told the Chronicle: “Jose will be touch-and-go for Stoke.

“We are not sure if he will play there, but I have been buoyed by young Ferguson.

“We have a player who has played international football for Argentina in Jonas Gutierrez in that position too.

“There is also a chance to play one of the other full-backs on the wrong side. We have plenty of options.”

And expanding on Ferguson’s performance, Pardew said: “That cameo is going to do him and me the world of good.

“When Jose got injured, I thought it might be too much for him to bring him on in front of 50,000 people.

“He does not have much experience, but when I did introduce him he was great, so I will be more confident of bringing him on next time.“

Pardew has limited options in the left-back slot if Enrique fails to recover from his hamstring problem.

Especially as Ryan Taylor, who was a success at left-back for Wigan Athletic, is suspended for another two games and not due back until April.

Pardew’s other options would be playing either Danny Simpson out of position again or fielding out-of-favour James Perch.

That was something he tried at Tottenham Hotspur in the final game of 2010 – a match which ended in defeat at White Hart Lane.

Pardew kept his cards close to his chest when it came to questions about selection.

However, on Ferguson the former Crystal Palace and Charlton Athletic man did say: “Who knows?

“He might be starting at Stoke if Jose misses out.”

Meanwhile, United are reportedly scouting Lille striker Moussa Sow.

The 25-year-old has bagged 17 goals in 26 games and is France’s top scorer.

Read More http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-u.../#ixzz1G0rGVpTq

Stoke would just fire long balls at the left back position all day and slaughter him there.

+1

I'd even rather play Perch for this fixture.

SERIOUSLY?

Stoke would just fire long balls at the left back position all day and slaughter him there.

+1

SERIOUSLY?

:lol:

Yeah, Ferguson will get steamrolled.

Edited by Holden McGroin

+1

SERIOUSLY?

where as perch will get arse fucked.

damn, a difficult choice to make

+1

SERIOUSLY?

My theory is that Perch might win the odd back post header.

Tough choice. Granted.

I would rather play any footballer than Perch, but in this case if its a choice of him and Ferguson i'd go Perch solely to protect the kid, getting a physical battering from the antichrists of football at Stoke won't do the lad any good, he's invariably going to be targeted, so i'd keep him out of this game.

Edited by Papa Lazaru

+1

SERIOUSLY?

He's already got an arsehole the size of the Tyne Tunnel, i divn't kna how many arse poundings the poor lad can take in a season

Perch is a poor centreback, an awfull rightback and beyond bad at leftback. There's no way I'd let him near the team even at this stage.

I take it Kadar is still out? He'd be the ideal to play against Stoke otherwise.

I think that's when CT'll realise he's a decent player CT. When he's replaced by some player that cost a pittance.

Only the genuinely thick would still claim that he is anything other than a good player. If he could cross more effectively (with his weaker foot) and score the odd goal, like CT seems to think he should be doing, he would be a great player and probably not playing for us.

:D Thank you for starting my day off with a smile.

"If he cross effectively and score the odd goal", he would be a good player you clown.

Name some left wingers who are as strong, quick, and good on the ball as Jonas with great crossing and goal scoring ability. I think you'll find there are very very few.