Newcastle United v. West Ham (St James' Park, Wednesday 5 January 2011 — 1945 kickoff)

dbsweeney

Mark Lawrenson, though I don't pay much attention to his faggot mutterings, did make a worthwhile comment on 5live last night. He said "all we're doing here is watching Chris Hughton's team". And he is bang on right! Alan Pardew has yet to stamp any of his authority on that team. On his appointment he did claim he saw "one of two things we can improve on", I have real concerns that in the not too distant future though his respective stamp is going to take our club backwards, history shows him as a proven failure as a premiership manager. Thoughts?

Well i think your wrong about this and wrong about the way he deals with the media.

Personally i like the way he works the media, he has more of a presence than CH and i generally like what he says.

Yes the squad was assembled by CH no argument but i think the way he's lined us up, our shape, mentality and movement is definitely better than of the CH team. Iv noticed a difference and im sure alot others have too.

Firstly I want to bring this to the question of Alan Pardew's speaking skills.

"Certainly, his public relations are in particular need of attention, and with Reading he was all-too-often forced to apologise for a public slip of the tongue.

To his players, there can be no more fluent communicator than Pardew. Yet, in public and within the media, he remains a dangerous and distant animal."

(source; http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/e..._1/3099788.stm)

So I can understand he has more of a presence, but I don't think a good one, especially for the club's image. I would rather have the much more reserved, sense-speaking and dignified approach Chris Hughton always displayed - evident even on the subject of his sacking. Time will tell whether Pardew is the right appointment, but Hughton had the players playing for him and at the moment I sense the players are not going to play for Pardew in the same way. Yes, we have had a couple of good results, but these are still early days and there is a part of me that thinks the players are motivated by the adversity and doubts thrown at them on the back of CH's sacking; opposed to the motivational skills of Pardew. Again, time will tell.

As for your believe perception of a better shape and mentality I disagree entirely, it is impossible on such a small-scale for Pardew to have his stamp on the tactics and playing style of our team. Impossible. The backbone and bulk of that team is still Hughton's, it is not possible in such a short-time with so many matches and such little training ground work available over the festive period that Pardew has been able to change that much.

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Btw, wtf is the name of that big 80s hit the DJ played at HT? The chorus Sounds a little bit like 'Dancing With Tears in Her Eyes' by Ultravox only it's more upbeat. I seem to remember the guy in the vid having a pair of ridiculous Elton John-type specs although that might be a complete red herring. Answers on a postcard please, it's been doing my napper in.

Best upbeat 80's track.

Btw, wtf is the name of that big 80s hit the DJ played at HT? The chorus Sounds a little bit like 'Dancing With Tears in Her Eyes' by Ultravox only it's more upbeat. I seem to remember the guy in the vid having a pair of ridiculous Elton John-type specs although that might be a complete red herring. Answers on a postcard please, it's been doing my napper in.

Ooh, ooh, I luv a challenge.

Video Killed The Radio Star by Buggles??? No?

How about,

Making Your Mind UP by Bucks Fizz?? No??

How about,

The Floral Tune by Brighouse and Rastrick Brass Band (with Tel Wogan) ??

It's that sort of one-hit wonder type of thing and that era. Doesn't sound that much like it though. That might be what I'm thinking of with the video. I saw it a little while ago on TOTP2, although again, that's not much help.

Haven't got the foggiest if it was this, but it's upbeat, very '80s, and mentions eyes so I'm nominating it.