Milner to stay at Villa?

Scottish Mag

Aston Villa are attempting a prolonged campaign of persuasion to try to convince Newcastle United to part with James Milner.

The England Under-21 international has been one of Villa's few success stories this season since he moved to Birmingham on a season's loan as part of the £1.5m deal which brought Nolberto Solano back to the North-East.

Villa boss David O'Leary - who worked with Milner when he was manager of Leeds United - is attempting to use a mixture of charm on the player and gentle pressure on Newcastle in an effort to capture the 20-year-old on a permanent basis.

The former Republic of Ireland international is believed to have brought up Milner's future when he was at St James's Park last weekend, although Newcastle's manager Graeme Souness and chairman Freddie Shepherd remain adamant they want Milner back at the end of the season.

Indeed, given the injury problems at St James's Park this season, Souness must regret allowing the versatile midfielder, who cost £3.5m in the summer of 2004, to leave the club in August.

Nevertheless, it remains to be seen whether Milner will want to return to Newcastle at the end of the season. The former Leeds prospect has admitted he is thoroughly enjoying his football now having been in and out of the team on Tyneside.

He said: "When you play every week you get more confidence and it's a great feeling. That's what happened to me at Leeds and it's a great opportunity for me at Villa. Hopefully I'm taking that opportunity, learning and putting some good performances in."

O'Leary is sure to put forward a persuasive argument for him to remain in Birmingham, knowing if the player is reluctant to return, he might be able to force United to sell.

Such tactics are unlikely to carry much weight with tough characters like Souness and Shepherd, both of whom allowed Milner to leave temporarily only because regular first team football would ultimately benefit Newcastle.

Meanwhile, United transfer target Gareth Barry is the latest Midlands member of the Milner fan club after the youngster was forced to miss Saturday's game between the two clubs because Premier League rules state that players on loan cannot play against their parent clubs.

Barry, whose last minute penalty miss on Saturday has helped keep Souness in a job, said: "James was in and out at Newcastle and, to really judge a player, you need to see them over 10-15 games."

"He was probably fearing the worst after making his debut at West Ham when we lost 4-0. But young players don't tend to fear anything. James just got on with the next game and he has been brilliant for us since."

Barry, straight swap for Milner? I'd take that.

65078[/snapback]

Personally, I'd want cash as neither are good enough in my view. Where would you play Barry out of interest?

Where would you play Barry out of interest?

65079[/snapback]

Centre-half, left-back, left-wing or even defensive midfielder... if we are short of numbers. Basically he'd make a great squad player in my opinion. Far better a squad player than Milner will ever make who while I rate (potential wise), will never amount to anything special. Not enough to force his way in ahead of the likes of Emre and Parker anyway.

Edited by Howaythetoon

I was talking to a mackem mate last week who said Milner 'tore Sunderland apart' at the SOS a couple of weeks back. Either he's turned his game around, or the mackems really have become that bad.

65093[/snapback]

I have seen him in about two or three games for Villa and think he really shows glimpses of becoming a good player. As I said regular first team football is doing him very well as it looks. With the huge transfer sum Newcastle paid I think it's too early to cut the losses.

Where would you play Barry out of interest?

65079[/snapback]

Centre-half, left-back, left-wing or even defensive midfielder... if we are short of numbers. Basically he'd make a great squad player in my opinion. Far better a squad player than Milner will ever make who while I rate him (potential wise), will never mmount to anything special. Not enough to force his way in ahead of the likes of Emre and Parker.

65091[/snapback]

I think he could probably do a decent job at centre-half and central midfield. I think, were he to concentrate on the defensive side of his game he could make a very good central defender. Recently though he's played left-hand side of midfield and because of his lack of pace and the fact he hasn't exactly got a bag of tricks, I don't think he's anything special there (I'd prefer N'Zogbia there). With regard to left-back, I would again point to his lack of pace which may prove to be a liability and it's several seasons since he's played there. He may make a decent squad player but why would he want to leave one mid-table side where he's a first-team regular to come to another to warm the bench. The only reason I can think of is more money and he certainly doesn't justify mega-bucks in my view.

I was talking to a mackem mate last week who said Milner 'tore Sunderland apart' at the SOS a couple of weeks back. Either he's turned his game around, or the mackems really have become that bad.

65093[/snapback]

I have seen him in about two or three games for Villa and think he really shows glimpses of becoming a good player. As I said regular first team football is doing him very well as it looks. With the huge transfer sum Newcastle paid I think it's too early to cut the losses.

65097[/snapback]

I saw Shola tear the mackems apart at SJP. Case closed tbh :icon_lol:

65093[/snapback]

65097[/snapback]

65105[/snapback]

Aye, and have you see Milner tear apart the celeb team? No, case firmly shut.

65093[/snapback]

65097[/snapback]

65105[/snapback]

Aye, and have you see Milner tear apart the celeb team? No, case firmly shut.

65107[/snapback]

True B)

Why do we get rid of every single one of my fave players?? :icon_lol:

hmm....... *idea!*...

My new favourite players are Amdy Faye and Babayaro.*

*cunning plan, n'est pas?

Why do we get rid of every single one of my fave players??  :icon_lol:

hmm....... *idea!*...

65110[/snapback]

What's Babayaro done wrong this season? I'd much rather see him playing than Robbie Elliott.

Why do we get rid of every single one of my fave players??  :icon_lol:

hmm....... *idea!*...

65110[/snapback]

Why do you choose players who look like you should get a free garlic bread if you order their face as your favourite?

I just see the inner beauty shining through :icon_lol:

B)

And, well, I put Babyaro, then thought that was a bit harsh, but really couldnt' be bothered to edit it. I'm free to take up suggestions on who you all want my new fave players to be. :)

B)

And, well, I put Babyaro, then thought that was a bit harsh, but really couldnt' be bothered to edit it.  I'm free to take up suggestions on who you all want my new fave players to be. :)

65147[/snapback]

Lee Clark would fit the bill.

:)

And, well, I put Babyaro, then thought that was a bit harsh, but really couldnt' be bothered to edit it.  I'm free to take up suggestions on who you all want my new fave players to be. :)

65147[/snapback]

B) Shola... pick Shola... pwetty pweeeeeeease pick Shola!