Sunderland 1-1 Newcastle

Anorthernsoul

I'm quite relaxed about the match. This time in October I was a gibbering wreck, a bag of nerves but I'm quite serene at the moment. I think it's the knowledge that unless they dish out a comparable tonking then a loss wont take any of the gloss off the 5-1.

Obviously I'm still keeping everything crossed that we take all three points. A defeat would be a kick in the stomach and as the final whistle blows I'd want to crawl under a rock and not come out until next derby day but 5, 10, 25 years down the line a slim 1-0 loss wont keep me awake but the memories of that 5-1 will.

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two things remain important in the match,

The first 15 minutes and the first goal. I think if you hold Sunderland for 15 minutes, all that pent up aggression will go in to sheer furstration which could lead to absolute foolish mistakes and over playing. The first goal will also be important as I think it will shake Sunderlands confidence and get the crowd on the players back. They are desperate to beat us and sometimes being too desperate results in many problems!

Plus Bramble might gift us one with such nerves!

Sunderland v Newcastle (1200 GMT)

This is a revenge mission for Sunderland after they were completely taken apart by Newcastle when they met at St James' Park at the end of October and their players will be motivated by memories of that match - it could be quite a fiery encounter.

Newcastle could do with having Andy Carroll back but, after a few weeks out, I cannot see how he will be 100% fit even if he does return. Their confidence also might have taken a knock after their FA Cup defeat at the hands of non-league Stevenage last weekend.

Sunderland were on the wrong end of a Cup upset too, at home to League One side Notts County, but they have had a few injuries to contend with and their line-up was not as strong as the one Newcastle put out.

Prediction: 2-0

Agree with scoreline, but not with his reasoning.

http://www.northumbria.police.uk/news_and_...ls.asp?id=37061

Newcastle fans attending this weekend's Wear-Tyne derby are advised to use special transport facilities to travel to the Stadium of Light.

An extra Northern Rail service and Metro are being provided specifically for supporters.

They will go from Newcastle's Central Station direct to St Peter's in Sunderland.

This will ensure fans arrive safely in plenty of time for the 12pm kick-off as well as help minimise disruption to other travellers.

Supporters are also being advised of disruption to the Metro service.

Richard McClean, Managing Director, DB Regio Tyne and Wear Ltd, operator of the Tyne and Wear Metro on behalf of Nexus said:

While extra services will be operated to help get fans to and from the match, Metro services will be suspended all day this Sunday between South Gosforth and North Shields for essential engineering work.

A replacement bus service, the number 900, will be in operation throughout the day and will call at or near all Metro stations on the affected route. All Metro passes and purchased tickets will be valid on the bus replacement service.

We are sorry for any inconvenience caused by this vital maintenance work to Metro on football derby day.

We would advise those travelling to the game by Metro to plan their journey accordingly.

If possible, supporters should use the special Metro services that have been provided especially for the derby match.

Chief Superintendent Rachel Kearton, Sunderland Area Command, said: We'd recommend that football fans use the special trains laid on for them.

This will ensure they get to Sunderland safely and in good time for the match.

There will be a police presence in and around Central Station and at Metro stations.

Officers will be on hand to assist and we would ask all fans to co-operate.

· A Northern Rail service will depart Central Station at 10.50am and travel non-stop to St Peter's

· Metro will leave Central Station at 11.09am and travel non-stop to St Peter's.

Returning, two special Metros will leave St Peter's at 2.38pm and 2.53pm and will not stop before Pelaw.

Edited by Nobby

I'll stick with my prediction of 1-2 to us, however I must state for the record that over the last two days, everywhere I have looked, the numbers 2-3 have shone through. Its being that bad I felt like (not looked like :) ), Hurley in lost.

Might have to have 50p on it. :icon_lol:

I'll stick with my prediction of 1-2 to us, however I must state for the record that over the last two days, everywhere I have looked, the numbers 2-3 have shone through. Its being that bad I felt like (not looked like :) ), Hurley in lost.

Might have to have 50p on it. :icon_lol:

them ceo positions dont pay like they used too

I think for once we're the underdog. If Gyan/Bent have an on day then we'll be in serious trouble, but without them at their best I think we're capable of at least getting a draw. Getting goals is my worry; a Shola/Nolan scoring spree like at SJP surely can't come around twice, can it?

Without tiote and Carroll, i make them masive favourites

They have Cattermole and Wellbeck out so evens if you ask me

Wellbecks played about 5 good games. Not worried about him at all.

Anyway, arent they both in the squad??

Welbeck is a superb young player that can actually create things from nothing. He's not going to be fully fit though so I doubt he'll start.

Catts and him will definitely be on the bench though.

Cattermole will get wound up and will probably break one of our lot's legs.

Barton with any luck. :)

I can see there being a red card in this one though, got a feeling it'll be one of your lot like, when was the last time you had a red in a derby?

Cattermole will get wound up and will probably break one of our lot's legs.

Barton with any luck. :)

I can see there being a red card in this one though, got a feeling it'll be one of your lot like, when was the last time you had a red in a derby?

The last time we played you we had one of our lot sent off!

article13146040b4fff830.jpg

Would like to see him start Gosling. Even if he only lasts 50 mins, then sub on Routledge and let him run at the full-back. Smith is a bad idea, as he will either get sent off or will concede so many fouls in our area, they'll eventually score from one. Would even prefer Routledge to start than Smith.

Here's another idea, how about Jonas on the right, and Lovenkrands on the left. His supply would be better than Jonas and means Jonas can then use his natural foot.