Writing on the wall

Howaythetoon

Under-pressure Graeme Souness is bracing himself to be without no fewer than SEVEN players for the visit of Arsenal to St James' Park on Saturday.

The United boss is already resigned to going in against the Gunners without long-term injuries Emre, Celestine Babayaro and Charles N'Zogbia.

But hopes that the key quartet of Michael Owen, Kieron Dyer, Stephen Carr and young Steven Taylor would be ready to return are fading fast.

I understand that Dyer and Carr have already been ruled out because of their respective hamstring and groin injuries, while Owen has had a bit of a setback in his bid to return against Arsenal.

And while Taylor is now back in training after his dislocated shoulder, Saturday may come too early for the 19-year-old defender with the trip to West Ham a week on Saturday a more realistic date for his comeback.

Story continues

ADVERTISEMENT

Ironically the week began full of hope for United with talk of Owen, Taylor, Dyer and Carr all being back against the Gunners.

But while Owen and Taylor have not yet been ruled out, that optimism is rapidly disappearing and once again the unlucky Souness looks as though he is going to be down to the bare bones when he comes to pick his side.

The first-team squad had a day off today but there were still plenty of players in the treatment room for the club's overworked medical staff.

Now Souness can only hope things get better with Babayaro's three-match ban ending after Saturday, while Aussie defender Craig Moore, who has yet to play in a competitive match for United because of a hamstring injury, is slowly easing his way to full fitness.

My view is that a full- strength United are capable of beating Arsenal in their current mood but Souness is going to be well short of his best team on Saturday.

And to add to the United manger's worries, he knows that after what happened against Manchester United earlier in the season, when Dyer and Emre aggravated their hamstring injuries, he dare not take a chance with any of his players against Arsenal unless they are 100% fit.

This is particularly the case with Taylor, who the manager is desperate to have back. For, being brutally honest, if Taylor is sent out on Saturday and breaks down Souness will know that he will be accused of risking the player who is now his best defender to save his own neck.

Meanwhile, Arsenal are on Champions League duty against Ajax at Highbury tonight having already qualified for the next round of the competition and it would not be a surprise if Arsene Wenger fielded a weakened side to keep his team fresh for Saturday's visit to Tyneside.

But surprisingly Wenger has said Thierry Henry will play tonight, and while no-one will know his final line-up until just before the kick-off, the only player definitely rested is Sol Campbell.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Under-pressure Graeme Souness is bracing himself to be without no fewer than SEVEN players for the visit of Arsenal to St James' Park on Saturday.

The United boss is already resigned to going in against the Gunners without long-term injuries Emre, Celestine Babayaro and Charles N'Zogbia.

But hopes that the key quartet of Michael Owen, Kieron Dyer, Stephen Carr and young Steven Taylor would be ready to return are fading fast.

I understand that Dyer and Carr have already been ruled out because of their respective hamstring and groin injuries, while Owen has had a bit of a setback in his bid to return against Arsenal.

And while Taylor is now back in training after his dislocated shoulder, Saturday may come too early for the 19-year-old defender with the trip to West Ham a week on Saturday a more realistic date for his comeback.

Story continues

ADVERTISEMENT

Ironically the week began full of hope for United with talk of Owen, Taylor, Dyer and Carr all being back against the Gunners.

But while Owen and Taylor have not yet been ruled out, that optimism is rapidly disappearing and once again the unlucky Souness looks as though he is going to be down to the bare bones when he comes to pick his side.

The first-team squad had a day off today but there were still plenty of players in the treatment room for the club's overworked medical staff.

Now Souness can only hope things get better with Babayaro's three-match ban ending after Saturday, while Aussie defender Craig Moore, who has yet to play in a competitive match for United because of a hamstring injury, is slowly easing his way to full fitness.

My view is that a full- strength United are capable of beating Arsenal in their current mood but Souness is going to be well short of his best team on Saturday.

And to add to the United manger's worries, he knows that after what happened against Manchester United earlier in the season, when Dyer and Emre aggravated their hamstring injuries, he dare not take a chance with any of his players against Arsenal unless they are 100% fit.

This is particularly the case with Taylor, who the manager is desperate to have back. For, being brutally honest, if Taylor is sent out on Saturday and breaks down Souness will know that he will be accused of risking the player who is now his best defender to save his own neck.

Meanwhile, Arsenal are on Champions League duty against Ajax at Highbury tonight having already qualified for the next round of the competition and it would not be a surprise if Arsene Wenger fielded a weakened side to keep his team fresh for Saturday's visit to Tyneside.

But surprisingly Wenger has said Thierry Henry will play tonight, and while no-one will know his final line-up until just before the kick-off, the only player definitely rested is Sol Campbell.

65166[/snapback]

Who on earth wrote that??

I have a gut feeling we're going to get well and truly humped 3 or 4 nil. B)

65171[/snapback]

Mother's mate tell you that?

:icon_lol:

Seriously, I don't think we'll get hammered, Arsenal are a poor side and while better than we are, they are nowhere near their fluent best. I don't expect us to win like but I remember last season we were hit with injuries, played well and lost 1-0 despite many claiming we'd get hammered.

Same again most probably. A scrappy game, a scrappy goal to win it.

The injury situation at the club is an absolute joke. Ever since Carr and Owen got injured, we've been told that they would be "back for the next game". I'd rather the manager/players stayed silent instead of getting people's hopes up and announcing new comeback dates twice a week. It just adds to the frustration.

I do think we'll get tonked. May not be reflected in the score-line but I reckon we'll have our arses well and truly whipped.

Probably won't make any difference though - bet GS is still in charge afterwards!

I blame Souness.

65183[/snapback]

I didn't say that. It was like that under Robson and the club always seems to announce combeback dates prematurely. It seems to have got worse though in the sense that Souness is in the papers all week saying he's looking forward to having his injured players back the weekend.

I blame Souness.

65183[/snapback]

I do. The club's problem with "bad luck" in injuries predates the arrival. Though, the vast amount of muscle injuries is an indicator for something not being right in training and preparations for matches.

I blame Souness.

65183[/snapback]

I do. The club's problem with "bad luck" in injuries predates the arrival. Though, the vast amount of muscle injuries is an indicator for something not being right in training and preparations for matches.

65195[/snapback]

Plus despite the money spent, the squad is threadbare.

I have a gut feeling we're going to get well and truly humped 3 or 4 nil. :)

65171[/snapback]

B)

Seriously, I don't think we'll get hammered, Arsenal are a poor side and while better than we are, they are nowhere near their fluent best. I don't expect us to win like but I remember last season we were hit with injuries, played well and lost 1-0 despite many claiming we'd get hammered.

Same again most probably. A scrappy game, a scrappy goal to win it.

65178[/snapback]

Arsenal are a poor side?? Is that an exclusive? :icon_lol:

I blame Souness.

65183[/snapback]

65195[/snapback]

I don't. Our injury 'woes' are nothing new but in terms of casualties and ailments.

I have a gut feeling we're going to get well and truly humped 3 or 4 nil. :)

65171[/snapback]

:icon_lol:

65178[/snapback]

He's told me its a draw actually

65194[/snapback]

So, should I put a few quid on it then?

65197[/snapback]

Aye, just aslong as you don't go claiming it was your insider knowledge that predicted the result and start another Shark thread to reward yourself

B)

I blame Souness.

65183[/snapback]

65195[/snapback]

I don't. Our injury 'woes' are nothing new but in terms of casualties and ailments.

65203[/snapback]

I stated that the "problems" at Newcastle predate Souness. But he hasn't addressed them. They physios are still shite. The risk injuries like torn hamstring ans and strains can be vastly reduced by warming up, training and nuitrition. If every other week a player at Newcastle gets such an injury then clearly something is not right. Also the lengths of the absence of these injuries most times depends on the immidiate treatment. At Newcastle players do need to long to get fit again. Who is do blame for this if not the managing staff?

I stated that the "problems" at Newcastle predate Souness. But he hasn't addressed them. They physios are still shite. The risk injuries like torn hamstring ans and strains can be vastly reduced by warming up, training and nuitrition. If every other week a player at Newcastle gets such an injury then clearly something is not right. Also the lengths of the absence of these injuries most times depends on the immidiate treatment. At Newcastle players do need to long to get fit again. Who is do blame for this if not the managing staff?

65227[/snapback]

Fans.

I'm not so sure it is the physios actually.

Derek Wright has been there as long as I can remember (at least 20 years) and Paul Ferris must have done at least 5 years but the recurring injuries have only really been something of recent past.

Perhaps it is the coaching team rushing the players back too early, perhaps even against the advice of the medical team?

I'm not so sure it is the physios actually.

Derek Wright has been there as long as I can remember (at least 20 years) and Paul Ferris must have done at least 5 years but the recurring injuries have only really been something of recent past.

Perhaps it is the coaching team rushing the players back too early, perhaps even against the advice of the medical team?

65229[/snapback]

Or maybe Dean fucking Saunders is just a shite coach