Injuries pile up for Souness

Craig

Newcastle boss Graeme Souness is facing another injury crisis as he attempts to dig himself out of trouble.

The Scot was delighted with the way his depleted side responded to their Carling Cup debacle at Wigan last Wednesday night in Saturday's 1-1 Barclays Premiership draw with Aston Villa despite missing Michael Owen, Kieron Dyer, Emre, Celestine Babayaro, Steven Taylor, Stephen Carr and Charles N'Zogbia, and with Albert Luque sitting on the bench.

However, that did little to silence his critics. Speculation persists that his time at St James' Park is drawing to a close after just 15 months - he has played down talk of a return to Rangers - and he heads into Saturday's league visit of Arsenal to Tyneside still under pressure.

Yet again, he will be forced to use the full depth of his squad with Emre and N'Zogbia already ruled out and Babayaro completing a three-match suspension, and hopes that Owen, Taylor, Carr and Dyer could all be fit appear to be receding.

Owen has missed the last four games with a groin injury - the Magpies have only scored a penalty in his absence - while Taylor has been sidelined since dislocating his shoulder on England under-21 duty last month, and is still several weeks away from his scheduled return date.

Souness has already paid for rushing players back from injury during his reign, with Dyer and Titus Bramble both succumbing during last season's UEFA Cup quarter-final trip to Sporting Lisbon, and Dyer and Emre breaking down before half-time in the 2-0 home defeat by Manchester United on August 28.

Should Souness' fitness problems continue, Senegal international midfielder Amady Faye is likely to be one of the beneficiaries, and he is relishing the chance to make his mark.

The 28-year-old returned to the starting line-up against Villa and had one of is better games for the club he joined in a £2million switch from Portsmouth in January.

"I want to show the fans what I can do," he said. "This is a big club and I want to do well here. The manager brought me to the club and he has faith in me.

"Now I hope I can get a run of games in the team, and I am confident we can start winning again soon. I had been struggling with my ankle for a while, I would say I have only been about 70 or 80% fit."

http://www.football365.com/news/story_170729.shtml

That's what most concerns me with Souness, he's delighted that we struggle to get a home draw (lets face it, we got out of jail thanks to Gareth Barry) against a side shitter than we are....

Not acceptable at all tbh.

That's what most concerns me with Souness, he's delighted that we struggle to get a home draw (lets face it, we got out of jail thanks to Gareth Barry) against a side shitter than we are....

65391[/snapback]

Were we a better side than them though on Saturday?

I'd have taken Hughes, Bouma, Mellberg, McCann, Angel & Baros ahead of Ramage, Bramble, Boumsong, Faye, Shearer & Chopra that's for sure.

65391[/snapback]

I'd have taken Hughes, Bouma, Mellberg, McCann, Angel & Baros ahead of Ramage, Bramble, Boumsong, Faye, Shearer & Chopra that's for sure.

65398[/snapback]

That's far too logical, you have to rant on about how terrible Souness is. He's the devil you know, according to most.

And anyhow, all of the injuries are his fault aswell so the team on Saturday was of his own doing. :lol:

65391[/snapback]

65398[/snapback]

Shearer wasn't bad I felt, and Angel just looks completely uninterested, bit otherwise I agree with you - they were a stronger side.