Pompey call press conference for 5pm

Craig

Portsmouth have announced the return of Harry Redknapp as manager.

Redknapp is back at the Fratton Park helm a year after quitting the club in acrimonious circumstances.

He then joined the club's south-coast rivals Southampton but walked out on them last week and made his desire to return to Pompey clear.

The former West Ham manager is now back after the chairmen of both clubs agreed an undisclosed compensation package for the 58-year-old Redknapp.

Saints chairman Rupert Lowe had initially rejected counterpart Milan Mandaric's first offer and refused Redknapp permission to talk to Pompey.

Redknapp feared he would be left in limbo with Mandaric stating he would look elsewhere to find a successor for Alain Perrin.

But a deal has been thrashed out and Redknapp will be in charge for the club's next game against Tottenham on Monday.

"It's only a few days before the next match against Tottenham and I want the players to be ready, I am ready," said Redknapp.

BBC Sport understands Pompey's new compensation offer to be close to the £220,000 compensation Saints want for the unexpired portion of Redknapp's deal.

"This saga had got to the stage of being an embarrassment for football as a whole," said Lowe.

"Portsmouth have produced a compensation package that is just acceptable to this club and I consider that it is in Southampton's best interests to get on with the future rather than dwell on the past.

"I cannot comment on the quantum of the settlement as both clubs are bound by a confidentiality agreement."

Yeah, Pompey might have had a press conference on it, but have N-O exclusively revealed it?

The 'love-affair' that exists between Pompey and Saints will no doubt be strengthened by this unique 'monroe transfer' :lol:

65413[/snapback]

:lol:

So where does this leave our old friend Jim Smith? Whats he doing these days? Will Harry be taking him and Kevin Bond back too?

Saw Portsmouth, Southampton and Redknap described yesterdayas "two bald men arguing over a comb". Thought it summed the situation perfectly

65894[/snapback]

The FA have launched an official probe into some big bets put on Redknapp going back to Pompey, meaning this saga is probably far from over. I thought it was only us who partook in embarrassing media circuses.

I heard that as well, Bet-fair reckon they've taken 3 times the amount they normally take on the Grand National for Redknapp going back to Pompey.

Aye - someone was suggesting it was very very dodgy - but I'm sure the bookies won't have taken any bets from a Mr M Mandaric - would they?

If he did it's a brilliant way of paying old harry's wages for year one