Post a picture of something shit on Wearside

Guest You FCB Get Out Of Our Club

sunderland-logo.jpg

That is the shittest badge in the top flight. The Wearmouth Bridge ffs the least spectacular city bridge I've ever seen, it's like that one in Newport. It's like having Scotchy Bridge on ours. I know the point has been made in a variety of different ways from a variety of different people, but Sunderland is just fuckin shit. There's absolutely nothing aesthetically nice or endearing about it. It literally has nothing, and you have to commend mackems for finding pride in something so incredibly repugnant.

Surely though Penshaw Monument, Washington Old Hall and the kite festival (Washington) aren't really in Sunderland just it's fairly recently changed council boundaries.

Penshaw Monument serves no purpose, when I was a bairn I thought it was built by the Romans or something, but nope it's only about 150 years old.

What are the relevance of the lions?

I think because Sunderland and its surrounds were in Durham they included the lions, because they're on the Durham county badge too. Only reason I can think of?

Surely though Penshaw Monument, Washington Old Hall and the kite festival (Washington) aren't really in Sunderland just it's fairly recently changed council boundaries.

Penshaw Monument serves no purpose, when I was a bairn I thought it was built by the Romans or something, but nope it's only about 150 years old.

from Wikipedia:

On Easter Monday, 1926 a 15-year-old boy, Temperley Arthur Scott, fell to his death from the top of Penshaw Monument. The boy was with three friends and 20 other people when the accident happened. They had got to the roof through the spiral staircase situated within one of the pillars. Witnesses said that the boys went round the roof walkway twice before deciding to make a third circuit. However, Scott fell trying to avoid the other visitors by passing around an open end where there was no protecting wall. Afterwards the spiral staircase to the roof was closed and remained so until a special opening on 29th August 2011, when the public were granted access to the spiral staircase and views from the top of the Monument. This was an initial test to see if it was popular enough to open again for future one-off days. The National Trust did not take bookings, the public simply turned up on the day. It was so popular (over 2000 people), not all those who turned up got to go to the top of the Monument. Many were forced to leave their contact details and will be given priority on the next open day.

How bored do you have to be? really?

from Wikipedia:

On Easter Monday, 1926 a 15-year-old boy, Temperley Arthur Scott, fell to his death from the top of Penshaw Monument. The boy was with three friends and 20 other people when the accident happened. They had got to the roof through the spiral staircase situated within one of the pillars. Witnesses said that the boys went round the roof walkway twice before deciding to make a third circuit. However, Scott fell trying to avoid the other visitors by passing around an open end where there was no protecting wall. Afterwards the spiral staircase to the roof was closed and remained so until a special opening on 29th August 2011, when the public were granted access to the spiral staircase and views from the top of the Monument. This was an initial test to see if it was popular enough to open again for future one-off days. The National Trust did not take bookings, the public simply turned up on the day. It was so popular (over 2000 people), not all those who turned up got to go to the top of the Monument. Many were forced to leave their contact details and will be given priority on the next open day.

Well its either that or Silksworth Ski Slope, there's nowt else there.

from Wikipedia:

It is on top of a brigantes hill fort so does have some historical interest.

Guest CabayeAye

Hmm you might be right, I suppose Sunderland is a town in Durham so it may adopt the same Coat of Arms to an extent.

It most fucking certainly isn't. We don't want to be associated with that shithole.

It is on top of a brigantes hill fort so does have some historical interest.

Tourist to region " I fancy a day looking at the rich heritage of the North East, shall I go to the Roman Wall, take in some stunning castles on the Northumbrian coast, Durham Cathedral, or maybe spend the day in Newcastle soaking up its incredible Georgian architecture and the Norman Castle…

… nah, fuck it, I'll go see a folly built on a barely perceptible hill fort near Sunderland. "

:lol:

That list of attractions in Wearside is fucking woeful to be fair. How bored do you have to be to go to a glass museum for instance, and this is the pinnacle of things to do? As an OOT I wouldn't go there based on that lot.

Has anyone actually been to the Glass museum?

I went there once to price some work, it's a cafe, tat shop, and a couple of hippys blowing bowls and whatnot.

It's location too… would be like sticking the Sage on the ropiest part of Benwell.

Has anyone actually been to the Glass museum?

I went there once to price some work, it's a cafe, tat shop, and a couple of hippys blowing bowls and whatnot.

It's location too… would be like sticking the Sage on the ropiest part of Benwell.

Don't know about you but to me it's just not that interesting. It's like having a pottery museum.....you'd be bored after 10 minutes and desperately looking for something to justify the effort of going there. If it was free you'd think it was overpriced.......

Doorsn't anyone think there's a fenetre amount of window puns?

You'd think, but so far many of the punning greats have abstained