Post a picture of something shit on Wearside

Guest You FCB Get Out Of Our Club

:lol: "Best striker I've ever seen"

One thing I've noticed after spending a bit of time on there. It kind of makes sense that they value Cattermole and the like so highly, they've been absolutely starved of quality for years. 

Defoe is class, but the rest of their squads for the past decade or so have been a who's who of cloggers and fading stars. 

How often have they had a player who would walk into our side? Even the relegation sides? How many of ours would walk into theirs?

One thing I've noticed after spending a bit of time on there. It kind of makes sense that they value Cattermole and the like so highly, they've been absolutely starved of quality for years. 

Defoe is class, but the rest of their squads for the past decade or so have been a who's who of cloggers and fading stars. 

How often have they had a player who would walk into our side? Even the relegation sides? How many of ours would walk into theirs?

Aye but there's a difference between 'Best striker we've ever had' and 'Best ever'. Unless you're saying that they genuinely are delusional I guess..?

Aye but there's a difference between 'Best striker we've ever had' and 'Best ever'. Unless you're saying that they genuinely are delusional I guess..?

I reckon he did mean best they've had.

That said, they seem to think that, because Cattermole works hard and is therefore valuable to a team that is, more often than not, fighting relegation, he's a good player. He's not. He's utterly shit. And their reliance on him is a contributory factor in them being a team that's, more often then not, fighting relegation. But for years, they've had really bad players replacing really bad players, yet somehow, miraculously, surviving. I think that's lowered the bar.

I'm not sure that it's a delusion, just a misalignment of what makes a quality player and what doesn't. 

Genuinely had a discussion with someone who insisted Sessegnon was better than Ben Arfa. Now, I know there are Newcastle fans who criticise him for his application, but even they would admit he's a better footballer than Sessegnon. so maybe the Sunderland fans are deluded :lol;

Better than Sewper Kev?

Won the Golden Shoe y'know?

(with the 4th lowest goals tally in that competition*)

*Is it a competition? Is that the right term? 

Edited by The Fish

Think Mario Jardel would've won that season but the Portuguese League's goals were worth less than the season before due to the Uefa co-efficient thingy. Used to get World Soccer at the time which is how I remember. Think in the top leagues the goals were worth 2 pts and they were worth 1.5 in the so-called lesser leagues. No idea if they still do that but Messi and C. Ronaldo would've presumably rendered that irrelevant anyway.

Think Mario Jardel would've won that season but the Portuguese League's goals were worth less than the season before due to the Uefa co-efficient thingy. Used to get World Soccer at the time which is how I remember. Think in the top leagues the goals were worth 2 pts and they were worth 1.5 in the so-called lesser leagues. No idea if they still do that but Messi and C. Ronaldo would've presumably rendered that irrelevant anyway.

It's still a big thing on RTG that Cole or Shearer never won it - I think one finally pointed out that it didn't exist when Cole scored 36 and Shearer was outscored by someone in the Albanian league or something. Both scored more than Phillips of course.

Never knew that :lol:

That's going in the old memory bank, I reckon.

Fish will be bringing that up on RTG at some point in the next couple of days if he hasn't already. It'll be couched in a 500 word essay of some sort, but it'll be there.

It's still a big thing on RTG that Cole or Shearer never won it - I think one finally pointed out that it didn't exist when Cole scored 36 and Shearer was outscored by someone in the Albanian league or something. Both scored more than Phillips of course.

Had a check and it wasn't awarded for about 5 seasons in the mid-90s but 3 of those 'winners' from those years were from The League of Wales, the Armenian top flight and the top division in Georgia. So, if the same rules had applied to Phillips as they're applying to Cole and Shearer, then Jardel would've won it. Conversely, I think Cole and Shearer would've won it during those years if the co-efficient was applied. Great achievement for Phillips all the same.

They've had a couple of decent players like, there's no doubt about it. They've spent the last decade as mainly being embarrassingly shite I suppose but so have we :lol:

Before he signed for HMP Durham I thought Justice 4 AJ11 was a good player. Oh well we all know how that worked out :o

I was trying to think of their best (non-loan) players in recent memory;

Mignolet

Johnson

Bent

Defoe

Who else?

I suppose Gyan was decent, but he was hardly there.

Sort of sums them up even then though. Local lad, boyhood fan, seems like he's dead canny, down to earth and about as far as you can get from your typical bling footballer, but didn't hesitate when he had the opportunity to go to Liverpool