Great North Run 2011

smoggeordie

I know this is miles early, but you often need to get in early to get sponsorship.

I've got my place for the GNR 2011 and im running it from NACC - The national assosiation for Crohns and Colitis. Someone very dear to me has Crohns and im sure a lot of you on here will know someone affected by it. It can be a deadly disease and affects many people in the country, yet is often overlooked for a lot of the more 'famous' charities.

Please sponsor me, even if it's as little as 1 pound. Every penny counts towards my initial target of £500.

Sponsor me here: http://www.justgiving.com/Nick-Kane

Thanks

Cheers for the reminder, I've just put in my entry for the general ballot. Won't be running it for charity if I do get in - I did a charity 10K recently enough that it'd be a bit cheeky to fleece people again - but (for precisely that reason) I'll make a point of donating to anyone else who is, yourself included. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm in there as well. It'll also be my first time, hopefully I won't disgrace myself!

I'm thinking of doing it for the Sir Bobby Robson foundation and if I do I might be cheeky and stick my sponsorship page on here as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I also have the pleasure of running the GNR this year, and for anyone off here who's met me, you'll know that idea sounds hilarious. Running for Macmillan, already got a Just Giving page for another Macmillan event I'm doing so I'll put the link up nearer the time.

• 5 weeks later...

Gaah. Just found out that two good friends are getting married in London on the day of the Great North Run. It's an evening bash only, 5pm-late, so I can probably make it back dahn here on the train for most of the event (or at least the boozy end of the proceedings), but I'll need to book on a specific train once the seats become available to avoid having to fork out silly amounts for an open return (and to get a seat!).

Does anyone who's done the run before know realistically how long I should factor in time-wise from crossing the finish line to getting out of the crowds, getting my stuff back and making it to Central Station, whether on the Metro or a shuttle bus or whatever?

• 1 month later...

Ages. It can be a nightmare. This year we are having a BBQ in the carpark rather than try to fight the crowd. The metro is quickest option but it's heaving. 30mins crossing line and getting stuff back etc. Thats the easy bit. Roads and carparks are jammed.

Wor lass is doing her first Great North Run this year. She has wanted to for a while but having two kids kinda gets in the way. Youngest is 2 this year so she has been training since March. Im not doing it this year (my turn to drag the kids to the finish etc). It's in aid of Children with Cancer. Yes, this is my begging post, see if anyone would be good enough to drop a few quid on it.

Cheers.

Sponsorship Web Page

• 2 months later...

2:15:33 for me. If you'd offered that to me at the start I would have taken it, but I reckon if I hadn't started so far at the back and been boxed in at times I would have hit 2 hours. I think it's very difficult to get a really good top potential time unless you're near the front and not having to scoot round Barney the Dinousaur.

2:21:39

I wanted under 2:30 so I was pleased with my time though I was on target for about 2:15 until the 10 mile mark when I was just knackered. I started in Block K right at the back so having to constantly wind in and out of people got pretty tiring and so for some of it I was going slower than I wanted to just because I was sick of overtaking others. Hoping for closer to 2hrs next year.

Bollocksed it up. Was doing OK until halfway then cramped up something evil and had to half-jog, half-PowerWalk™ the rest of the way for a 2:36 finish. Running further than 6 miles in training might be a good idea next time. Great experience, all the same, and I'd happily do it again/recommend it to anyone.

• 2 weeks later...