Stephen Ireland...

Shear3r

Mirror Exclusive

Newcastle boss Alan Pardew is making a shock move to sign Stephen Ireland on loan from Aston Villa.

Pardew wants to take on the Irish midfielder and the club are willing to pay a chunk of his massive salary to bring him to the north-east.

Ireland has fallen out of favour with Gerard Houllier, having signed for Villa while the club was managerless. He is unlikely to play again for the Frenchman and will be allowed to go.

Newcastle do not want to buy Ireland immediately but are keen to bring him into their dressing room - where he'll be reunited with his old Manchester City team-mate Joey Barton - to see if he can rediscover his City magic on the Tyne.

What are the chances of this?

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I called this... will be interesting to see if opinions change now it's rumored.

You wanted to sign him permanently before you go all Mystic Keg :lol:

I called this... will be interesting to see if opinions change now it's rumored.

True... but he'll still be on the wage bill representing the team, and be a part of the dressing room.

The discussion whether we should sign him wasn't "would he be a good loan signing" or "would he be worth permanently signing" it was "would ireland be a good signing".

Now we discussed this on a presumption it would be a transfer, but will be interesting to see if the rumour is true (and it is only a rumour) how it will be perceived.

True... but he'll still be on the wage bill representing the team, and be a part of the dressing room.

The discussion whether we should sign him wasn't "would he be a good loan signing" or "would he be worth permanently signing" it was "would ireland be a good signing".

Now we discussed this on a presumption it would be a transfer, but will be interesting to see if the rumour is true (and it is only a rumour) how it will be perceived.

There's a massive difference between the two though. The whole debate, in my view, should centre around the risk involved in signing him and whether he can recapture his old form. Virtually all of that risk is negated if it's a loan signing.

Guest You FCB Get Out Of Our Club

I think getting a left winger is a priority but no one else seems to think that way at the club or anywhere else. Are people blind????

If we can get a top class striker in the summer, and a LW now I'll be relatively content.

I think getting a left winger is a priority but no one else seems to think that way at the club or anywhere else. Are people blind????

If we can get a top class striker in the summer, and a LW now I'll be relatively content.

I agree re: LW. A 'proper' one would be great although they're a rarity, especially as, effective as Barton is on the right, we aren't able to stretch sides with pace down that side of the field, so we need someone who can run at defenders to give us a different option. A Jonas-type but with a bit of end product would be nice. I'd keep Jonas as well though as he can play both wings.

I agree re: LW. A 'proper' one would be great although they're a rarity, especially as, effective as Barton is on the right, we aren't able to stretch sides with pace down that side of the field, so we need someone who can run at defenders to give us a different option. A Jonas-type but with a bit of end product would be nice. I'd keep Jonas as well though as he can play both wings.

RW a far bigger priority in my eyes. We have Jonas and Ben Arfa for the left, Barton (for me personally) should be brought back into CM and with Routledge going we need a replacement.

RW a far bigger priority in my eyes. We have Jonas and Ben Arfa for the left, Barton (for me personally) should be brought back into CM and with Routledge going we need a replacement.

I was more in agreement re: it being somewhere we need to look at. I think you're probably right in that RW is another one where we don't have a lot of cover. I think if everyone was fit Barton would start on the right though. I'd quite like to see him in the middle with Tiote as well. Basically, our problem is a lack of options beyond the first XI / when we have a few injuries.

Seems to be one of the hardest positions to buy, LW.

Jonas and Barfa can play there. Jonas defo needs a rest. Only Enrique has played more minutes than him this season.

Said that a while back when he was struggling. I think people forget that sometimes about players.

Can't understand the interest in Ireland. Plays in the free role which is one of the few positions we've got cover in abundance.

Left back, both wings and a striker are surely the priority?

Aside from that he's a shadow of the player he was at City a couple of years back.

I think that's a good point. Difficult to see where he'd fit in if everyone was fit. I'm not sure you could play him and Ben Arfa in a midfield 4 either, even with HBA on the left.

According to Caulkin this morning, Ireland was the main topic of Pardews meeting with Ashley yesterday.

They're all going for a piss up in Dublin.

:D

Ireland is a complete twat and he appears to be totally detached from reality. He was good at city but he's been gash at Villa.

I'm not sure I would want a tool of this proportion playing for us.