Stephen Ireland...

Shear3r

In the middle we have Tiote, Nolan, it's Barton's natural position, Ben Arfa can play there plus we have Guthrie and Gosling as options. Smith is thankfully out of he picture. Wouldn't mind Vuckic getting some time on the pitch as well.

In wide positions we have Jonas, Barton and Ben Arfa as options. Mix in Ryan Taylor if you're feeling optimistic. After that it's Guthrie and Gosling being played out of position there, or the likes of Ferguson.

In fullback positions we have Enrique and Simpson then it's Perch and Ryan Taylor as cover.

I wouldn't mind the interest in Ireland if I knew it wasn't at the cost of other positions not being strengthened.

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 years ago he was superb. If Rapey isn't buying another striker(like he says), maybe we'll be looking at a variation of 4-5-1. He's better than Smith/Guthrie and improves the squad. Sounds like a loan anyway. All good.

2 years ago he was superb. If Rapey isn't buying another striker(like he says), maybe we'll be looking at a variation of 4-5-1. He's better than Smith/Guthrie and improves the squad. Sounds like a loan anyway. All good.

"Rapey" :D

Pardew said post match he was close to a new player

how close?

1000mm, 6km, 1000km ?

ignore me sir i'm being a total smeg head

didnt Mr Pardew sir say that he was close to securing one of the current squad on a new contract rather than saying he was close to bagging anew player ?

genuine question this one sir

how close?

1000mm, 6km, 1000km ?

didnt Mr Pardew sir say that he was close to securing one of the current squad on a new contract rather than saying he was close to bagging anew player ?

"I'm pretty close to securing another player of our squad and that will be a big bonus for the club. So I've concentrated on that, if one becomes available I think can help then great but the squad players for me are doing terrific. There is a good feeling in the group and good strength."

Possibly, it could mean either I suppose

how close?

1000mm, 6km, 1000km ?

"I'm pretty close to securing another player of our squad and that will be a big bonus for the club. So I've concentrated on that, if one becomes available I think can help then great but the squad players for me are doing terrific. There is a good feeling in the group and good strength."

sounds like Barton or Enrique which would be another good move.

how close?

1000mm, 6km, 1000km ?

sounds like Barton or Enrique which would be another good move.

will probably end up being Alan Smith or Lovenkrands :D

From Sky Sports

Newcastle are firm favourites to land the signature of Stephen Ireland, skysports.com understands.

A number of Premier League clubs are keen on the former Manchester City star, who only joined Aston Villa last summer.

However, under Gerard Houllier, Ireland has failed to become a regular and is now keen to move on.

Newcastle are now believed to be in advanced talks with Villa over a loan deal.

Ireland is thought to be one of Villa's top-earners and as such they will want a sizeable chunk of his wages met.

Newcastle are now negotiating the percentage of what they will pay, but are hopeful they can agree a deal this week.

Guest You FCB Get Out Of Our Club
anyone excited about Stephen Ireland obviously hasn’t seen him play recently = total shite.

worse than Smith and Guthrie.

This board needs a smiley of figure shaking its' head with a speech bubble saying "whats this cunt on about".

He's a great player, the form of players fluctuate when they're not getting a regular 90 minutes, my only concern is where he will fit in.

I share the concerns about where he'd fit in and (more particularly about the lack of options in positions wide) but it could be a very good move if he can recapture anything like the form of a couple of seasons ago. I'm also a bit concerned about the lack of pace in the side, especially with Routledge going.

In his final season at City he was unstoppable. Those bursting runs into the box from midfield, athletic ability, he had it all. I'll be over the moon if he signs for us whether it's on loan or a permanant deal.

Guest You FCB Get Out Of Our Club
I share the concerns about where he'd fit in and (more particularly about the lack of options in positions wide) but it could be a very good move if he can recapture anything like the form of a couple of seasons ago. I'm also a bit concerned about the lack of pace in the side, especially with Routledge going.

Aye, hopefully that will be rectified in the summer.

To say he's worse than Smith and Guthrie is an insult to peoples intelligence imo though, one thing I love about him is what a cool finisher he is.

Girrafidae if GH SAID right straight swap Smith for Ireland you'd say, no? :lol:

anyone excited about Stephen Ireland obviously hasn’t seen him play recently = total shite.

worse than Smith and Guthrie.

This board needs a smiley of figure shaking its' head with a speech bubble saying "whats this cunt on about".

He's a great player, the form of players fluctuate when they're not getting a regular 90 minutes, my only concern is where he will fit in.

That's the point. I can't see him getting 90 mins week in week out (which he needs atm), consequently this will have an impact on his form.

Decent player, but would rather go for a winger and a forward.

Good signing if it comes off. Where will he play though? He's too similar to Nolan to Play alongside him in midfield, unless pards is going go revert to playing a 5 man midfield with Nolan tucked behind the front man. Not sure if that's a smart move as we've looked good in a 442. Agree about the lack of pace. Still would be a good addition to the squad. Get swp in as well and it's a good looking window. Not many striking options but could be setting up to play more of a 433/451 formation

Those goals he was banging in were fucking awesome. Great engine on him.

Agree with whats been said, why cut our nose off to spite our face? He is better than Smith & Guthrie by a mile and he seems the chap that would fit in. Bit of a cheeky lad who likes a good laugh.

If youre down and feeling shite, that effects your footy for sure. Look at Arsehavin, he is on the deck right now.

Edited by wykikitoon

To say he's worse than Smith and Guthrie is an insult to peoples intelligence imo though, one thing I love about him is what a cool finisher he is.

Girrafidae if GH SAID right straight swap Smith for Ireland you'd say, no? :lol:

I know a lot of people hate I don't mind Guthrie as a squad player (he has to play in the middle like) but he's never going to be in Ireland's class. As for Smith, well say no more really.

I know nowt about him, but before we all get too excited, Old Geraldo was a tad scathing about him. Seems to him, skill isnt the question, its more about a lack of heart.

We've had our fair share of those in recent years. At least its a loan, lets have a look, deal.

Aston Villa manager Gerard Houllier has told Stephen Ireland he must work harder after overlooking the midfielder for the derby clash with Birmingham.

Ireland was valued at £8million when he moved to Villa in August as part of the deal which saw James Milner join Manchester City.

But he has only shown his best form in patches and failed to impress in the previous two matches against Sunderland and then Burnley in the Carling Cup.

Houllier opted to use rookie central defender Ciaran Clark in a midfield role in preference to Ireland, a non-playing substitute, during the goalless draw against Blues at Villa Park.

The former Liverpool boss has warned the Irishman that skill alone is not sufficient to put him at the forefront of his plans.

Houllier said: 'Ireland needs to work harder. He played against Chelsea and did well, he played against Sunderland and was not good enough to me - simple as that.

'He needs to work harder. The skill is one thing but you need to compete.

'It is a difficult period for him. We support him, we back him. He comes to a new club and there is a change of manager in between.'

The Frenchman added: 'We know he is a good player but I don't want to have a situation where you say "he is a good player, but...."

"If you say "he is a good player but he doesn't defend, he doesn't run back, he loses too many balls in crucial areas", then that is difficult.

'He needs to get rid of these 'buts' about him and be a good player. He needs to work harder in games.'

He'd have to play Nolan up front if this happened. Pointless transfer, unless he wants to come here to sit on the bench.

He's obviously going to start him if he signs him.

I think Guthrie got utterly slated after a few shit performances. He was quite good in the last couple of games though.

As people are saying, nowt wrong with buying a player that's better than what you already have. I'd argue Ireland was one of the best centre mids in the country when he was playing regularly.

The only concern is that we migh be leaving other areas understaffed.

he's a very different kind of player though, smiths an immobile late tackling idiot. irelands a player with genuine vision, passing ability and mobility (but not outright speed). trouble is his best position is as a non tackling purely offensive midfielder. Like Lampard in some respects but not as physically strong. also without the goals to game ratio, mind he creates a fair few goals.