Aaron Hughes

Shear3r

According to Bobby Robson, Souness inherited "an Alladin's cave" when he took over the reigns. This was in regards to the squad Souness took over, briming with young, attacking talent. However Souness went about marking his stamp on the squad, selling so much quality in the likes of Bernard, Robert, Jenas, Dyer, Ambrose in order to replace it with Boumsong, Luque, Emre, Owen, in doing so inflicting lasting damage.

But one player he quietly moved on was the consistent and versatile defender Aaron Hughes, for a palsy 1 million pounds to Aston Villa if I remember correctly.

Now granted he is a tad older now, he is still quality; as shown when we played Fulham at the start of the season. His contract at Fulham runs till 2013, and I reckon he'd be available around the 3 million mark. His versatillity across the back four is exactly what we need now and personally I'd love to see him back at Newcastle.

Anyone else think he'd be a fantastic signing...?

Not really, nah. I always liked Hughesy but he was never a great defender. Versatile yes, but not great in any one position.

The board of NUFC wouldn't dare spend £3m on an ex player nearing the end of his career. Not a chance.

Decent shout, but not for me.

Not really, nah. I always liked Hughesy but he was never a great defender. Versatile yes, but not great in any one position.

The board of NUFC wouldn't dare spend £3m on an ex player nearing the end of his career. Not a chance.

Decent shout, but not for me.

Same reasons with me tbh. Think his best position always was sweeper but even more so now so he'd be well down the pecking order. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather see him as back-up to Enrique than Perch but it's a non-starter imo.

Guest You FCB Get Out Of Our Club

£3m??? £500k max. Don't get me wrong he's a solid defender and my disdain for him never reach the levels of how I felt about Andy O'Brien, but he was encouraged to attack under SBR, got in attacking positions quite often, and his crossing was absoplutely abysmal. So bad I'd say watch this baal here bet it's shite, and it was 99/100. Good defender though, but not someone I'd be delighted to have back. Bellamy on the other hand.....

interesting that you said bellamy like. the welshman is almost the complete opposite of hughes

defender - attacker

seems professional - seems a twat

keeps out of trouble - in jail last i heard

would be good for dressing room - could upset a few players

and on and on.

not really an argument, or really a worthwhile point. but i enjoy my. simple things :lol:

interesting that you said bellamy like. the welshman is almost the complete opposite of hughes

defender - attacker

and on and on.

not really an argument, or really a worthwhile point. but i enjoy my. simple things :lol:

Wouldn't add anything to the first XI - Would easily improve the first XI :o

I always liked Aaron Hughes. No frills and certainly not the best, but did a good job.

Maybe the mists of time, but I seem to recall SBR giving Hughes the job of man marking Pavel Nedved in Turin, and the Ulsterman doing a great job of it.

However, there's no point in re-signing him now imo. Always welcome in the toon, but only for a pint or playing for the opposition.

defender - attacker

and on and on.

Not really that interesting in all fairness. He started his post mentioning the Alladin's Cave Souness inherited, I then went on to mention AOB who was part of that Aladins Cave, maybe he was the bog brush down there, and from that cave Bellamy is the only one I'd want. He's class, I'm a Bellamy fetishist.

Defender - Attacker

Slow - Pacey

Functional - Dynamic

I'd love Bellamy back and to be fair since he left the only person he's really upset is Riise, the rest of the time his colleagues seem to get on with him, and he encourages them on the pitch. I think he's really grown up and will eventually be a good manager.

I always liked Aaron Hughes. No frills and certainly not the best, but did a good job.

Maybe the mists of time, but I seem to recall SBR giving Hughes the job of man marking Pavel Nedved in Turin, and the Ulsterman doing a great job of it.

However, there's no point in re-signing him now imo. Always welcome in the toon, but only for a pint or playing for the opposition.

Did a good job man-marking Totti when we played AS Roma away in the Uefa Cup just after Robson took over from Gullit. Not sure if that's the game you're thinking of.

Did a good job man-marking Totti when we played AS Roma away in the Uefa Cup just after Robson took over from Gullit. Not sure if that's the game you're thinking of.

Shhhh. He came second behind Ibrahimovic in the most overrated player awards. :lol:

Shhhh. He came second behind Ibrahimovic in the most overrated player awards. :lol:

He was quality then tbf. IMHO of course :o

i'd prefer a bellamy type player, but not bellamy himself. i'd probably have milner ahead of bellamy out of "the cave".

and what can i say, i obviously find different things interesting tha you do. im ok with that :lol: happy with my musings and tangents

Narrr, absolutely certain it was Nedved in Turin. I can recall the match and SBR being interveiwed after the game saying how well Hughes had done. I would suggest that you are right as well.

Narrr, absolutely certain it was Nedved in Turin. I can recall the match and SBR being interveiwed after the game saying how well Hughes had done. I would suggest that you are right as well.

We played Juve away in the CL under Robson as well like.

We played Juve away in the CL under Robson as well like.

While we're still peaking our head in SBR'S Aladin's Cave, Bernard away at Inter was the best attacking left back display I've seen in 25 year watching the toon.

If Hughes had a bit of nastiness in him he'd be twice the player he is, never showed enough want for my liking.

I agree with that like. He was too meek. Never put a dirty challenge in in his career.