25 years ago today....

Renton

I don't know what people on here think, but to me this man was probably one of the biggest musical geniuses there has ever been. I still think he had a lot to give, but was robbed of life my Mark Chapman. So senseless..... :lol:

Can't believe he has been dead 25 years though. Fucking hell I'm getting old. :lol:

It's a strange one because although I love The Beatles, I'm too young for his actual death to have had any effect on me. As you say though, a completely senseless crime. By the way, one of the last ever photos taken of John Lennon (possibly the last) was a one of him signing an autograph for Mark Chapman. Weird.

It's a strange one because although I love The Beatles, I'm too young for his actual death to have had any effect on me. As you say though, a completely senseless crime. By the way, one of the last ever photos taken of John Lennon (possibly the last) was a one of him signing an autograph for Mark Chapman. Weird.

65688[/snapback]

Fuckin hell, he should get that on ebay man.

Aye it's sad like. Just so daft when you think that here's a bloke who just writes songs for a living and some mentalist takes it upon himself to kill him.

Mind, he could have turned out to be an embarrassing arsehole like Paul McCartney had he lived. Although you'd hope he was a bit cooler than that tbh.

Aye it's sad like.  Just so daft when you think that here's a bloke who just writes songs for a living and some mentalist takes it upon himself to kill him. 

Mind, he could have turned out to be an embarrassing arsehole like Paul McCartney had he lived.  Although you'd hope he was a bit cooler than that tbh.

65694[/snapback]

A bit harsh on McCartney there I think, although I can see where you're coming from.

Incidentally, I heard Brazil make two howlers about Lennon on TalkShite this morning. First he said "with no disrespect, what did he see in Yoko". I'm sure neither Yoko or Sean will find it disrepectful at all Alan.....

Then, as a Lennon tribute song was fading out, he says "John Lennon dead for 25 years....fabulous". You know what he meant but my God, how is that fool on the radio?

25 years? :lol:

Was a terrible waste but then he'd probably be accused of going on too long like McCartney has. At least Lennon's music is considered 'timeless' rather than 'tired'....

Aye it's sad like.  Just so daft when you think that here's a bloke who just writes songs for a living and some mentalist takes it upon himself to kill him. 

Mind, he could have turned out to be an embarrassing arsehole like Paul McCartney had he lived.  Although you'd hope he was a bit cooler than that tbh.

65694[/snapback]

A bit harsh on McCartney there I think, although I can see where you're coming from.

Incidentally, I heard Brazil make two howlers about Lennon on TalkShite this morning. First he said "with no disrespect, what did he see in Yoko". I'm sure neither Yoko or Sean will find it disrepectful at all Alan.....

Then, as a Lennon tribute song was fading out, he says "John Lennon dead for 25 years....fabulous". You know what he meant but my God, how is that fool on the radio?

65695[/snapback]

:lol:

The bloke is a knob like.

Re McCartney, sometimes I see him interviewed and he seems a canny enough fella and my faith is almost restored. But then he'll say something about "rocking on", or emit a "whoop" and my good will fades.

Re McCartney, sometimes I see him interviewed and he seems a canny enough fella and my faith is almost restored.  But then he'll say something about "rocking on", or emit a "whoop" and my good will fades.

65697[/snapback]

He is probably the uncoolest person on the planet like, should have quit after the Beatles. His music now is indefensible.

Imagine has to be the most overated song in history. Complete and utter sentimental pap. And this from a man who rented a whole floor of the Dakota building for his wifes fur coats. Utter hypocrite. His veneration makes me puke. Wrote a couple of canny pop songs, then again so has Robbie Williiams

65709[/snapback]

FFS. :lol:

Fine, you don't rate him, I get the message. As for being a hypocrite, show me one millionaire pop star that isn't? Does even Geldof live in penury?

To even mention Williams in the same thread as Lennon shows me you've lost it btw. :lol:

Anyone been to the Dakota building? I went like, morbid twat that I am. Canny fucking place to live though!

The Lennon/Williams comparison is bizarre to say the least, although I agree about Imagine. :lol:

Edited by Gemmill

he wasn't writing much towards the end

I can remember the shooting but it didn't really upset people too much IIRC - les meeja and no 24 hour rolling news for start

Don't want to restart the whole George Best debate but I'd say Lennon and McCartney are as gifted in their field as he was in his, brought as much happiness but without any of the dirty linen. I wasn't able to string a coherent sentence together at the time Lennon died so I'm not sure if there was a brouhaha of George Best proportion, but he (and McCartney) should get the full works televised.

British Legends.

McCartney might be like an embarrasing grandad, but I still love my Grandad. No reason to slag him off because he says "cool" or "groovy".

His new album is canny good, as was Flaming Pie.

he wasn't writing much towards the end

I can remember the shooting but it didn't really upset people too much IIRC - les meeja and no 24 hour rolling news for start

65718[/snapback]

I was 10 years old and pretty upset by it I have to say, probably more so than I have been with anyone else (famou, I mean). The media were much less ntrusive then of course, although it would be a huge thing if the equivalent happened today.

Re: McCartney - he did "the Frog Chorus" - nuff said!

65699[/snapback]

Aye, you get the feeling Chapman shot the wrong Beatle !

paul_mccartney.gif

I dunno why the Lennon Williams comparison is so bad They were both in boy bands and went solo. AT least Wiliams hasn't released anything as bland as Woman.

65729[/snapback]

You're on a wind-up, right? :lol:

I'm extremely glad I wasn't alive 25 years ago today. I mean, like, alive and the same person that I am today, kind of thing. Because if you'd seen how much George's death affected me (and I *knew* he was ill and that it was coming... I just didn't expect it to be THAT soon...), then you'd know how much I would not have been able to cope with this.

When I was in NYC in January, we went to Strawberry Fields (where John used to sit and play in Central Park) and that was cool. But we then walked past the EXACT spot where he got shot, and it just freaked me the hell out. I just wanted to run away from that place. :lol:

25 years?? Wow. I feel so young :lol:

I dunno why the Lennon Williams comparison is so bad They were both in boy bands and went solo. AT least Wiliams hasn't released anything as bland as Woman.

65729[/snapback]

65731[/snapback]

It just infuriates me the way he is treated as some sort of sage/prophet/saint.

Anyone been to the Dakota building?  I went like, morbid twat that I am.  Canny fucking place to live though!

The Lennon/Williams comparison is bizarre to say the least, although I agree about Imagine. :lol:

65716[/snapback]

Aye. I've been there. It's where they filmed Rosemary's Baby an arl (the best horror ever. FACT!) so I had two reasons I wanted to go. Amazing bit of architecture.

65729[/snapback]

65731[/snapback]

65742[/snapback]

Only in your mind methinks. Most people I know or hear from in the media just think he was a first class musician, none of the above.

Anyway, John Lennon = Robbie Williams, The Beatles = Take That, keep them coming. :lol:

I thought McCartney had gone a little shit but then I saw him at Glastonbury and thought he was class. As for Lennon, I like a lot of Lennon songs, but let's not try to cover over the fact he also wrote some shite like.

65729[/snapback]

65731[/snapback]

65742[/snapback]

He was quite prophetic to be fair. Wouldnt say saintlike though, he had the same flaws as most people.