one born every minute

Dr Gloom

It's the single most terrifying and fantastic thing you'll ever do.

Can't really put it into words but seeing your child born in front of you and then have it thrust into your arms is a bit overwhelming. I had a few tears and couldn't take my eyes off the bairn for ages. You're looking down on this little bundle of blankets and suddenly two little eyes open and that's it - you're hooked and your life changes forever. Your world is tipped upside down and things that used to matter don't any more. Only one thing will matter from that moment on and it's class. Tough to start with but it gets better and better.

You forgot the bit where I was in labour and you went to get fish and chips to eat while you watched the Man U match on the labour ward telly :D

Aye, but it wasn't real contractions, you were just whinging a bit. The proper stuff started the next day.

It's the single most terrifying and fantastic thing you'll ever do.

Can't really put it into words but seeing your child born in front of you and then have it thrust into your arms is a bit overwhelming. I had a few tears and couldn't take my eyes off the bairn for ages. You're looking down on this little bundle of blankets and suddenly two little eyes open and that's it - you're hooked and your life changes forever. Your world is tipped upside down and things that used to matter don't any more. Only one thing will matter from that moment on and it's class. Tough to start with but it gets better and better.

You forgot the bit where I was in labour and you went to get fish and chips to eat while you watched the Man U match on the labour ward telly :icon_lol:

Aye, but it wasn't real contractions, you were just whinging a bit. The proper stuff started the next day.

:D

The first was funny as owt for us. Well, me. Her waters popped at about 11pm when we were in bed. Naturally we rushed to the hospital, me driving, only to be told to go home and come back when she really felt it. So I drove home, hit a few speed bumps, pointed out a rabbit only for the devil herself to reply "I couldnt give a fuck about any rabbit!". A few speed bumps later and we were home, got out got in the living room, turned around and went back to hospital :suicide: Poor lass could barely walk second time around.

• 1 year later...

Did you see it this week?

Jesus.

A woman who was brain damaged when she was ran over at 13 was giving birth now she's 40. She'd married a healthy intelligent bloke so I was giving him the skunk eye when it started, but was ashamed of myself by the end. It was one of the lovliest things I've ever seen on TV and she was a legend.

Sit your mrs down tonight and watch it, she'll cry her eyes out, in a good way.

I stayed top end. The one thing I personally found about labour was how quickly time passed. Now I know what you're saying, I bet my Mrs didn't think timed flew, but what I mean is that because I'm not doing much I thought it would feel like a much longer process. When she actually came to the pushing part she pushed for a good hour and a half but it only felt like 20 minutes, my Mrs said the same. Wor lass was brilliant throughout like, calm, didn't demand anything, didn't moo, took pain relief when she needed it, she was amazing like. I cried my eyes out when the bairn was born, I bubbled big style, was a weird feeling.

God this is an old thread. Brings back some memories. Turns out I did go down the business end and I did cut the cord. I wasn't anywhere near as squeamish as I thought I would be. It was an unbelievably overwhelming experience and Mrs G was an absolute trooper - she did the whole thing without any drugs, a completely natural labour, gas and air aside. When the boy popped out I cried like a baby and the mrs held it together, whic is weird because I'm not usually one to shed tears and she will sob at a cheesy rom com.

Did you see it this week?

Jesus.

A woman who was brain damaged when she was ran over at 13 was giving birth now she's 40. She'd married a healthy intelligent bloke so I was giving him the skunk eye when it started, but was ashamed of myself by the end. It was one of the lovliest things I've ever seen on TV and she was a legend.

Sit your mrs down tonight and watch it, she'll cry her eyes out, in a good way.

Aye, same here :lol:

I see babies born most nights that I work but I'm only involved when it's an emergency situation for either mother or child. It's by far the best part of the job when things turn out well, which is 99% of the time, but the worst when it doesn't.

It's always a privilege to be there though and I still occasionally shed a tear even after 10 years - it's usually the dads crying that sets me off :lol:

I see babies born most nights that I work but I'm only involved when it's an emergency situation for either mother or child. It's by far the best part of the job when things turn out well, which is 99% of the time, but the worst when it doesn't.

It's always a privilege to be there though and I still occasionally shed a tear even after 10 years - it's usually the dads crying that sets me off :lol:

We had a fantastic midwife who said the same, that she still gets teary and it's always the dad who sets her off! And I'm glad to say I did! :lol:

Couple of my mates have had tricky births and have had nothing but praise for all the work th staff did. One mate says everything seemed to be going ok, then one of the nurses had a quick word with the Dr (or whomever was in charge), 30 seconds later the room is full of people who weren't there before all knowing exactly where they should be and what they should be doing.

I've no idea what was wrong with the bairn but it was sorted so quick and professionally that my mate said he didn't feel concerned at all and Lily is fit and healthy now, so I'm guessing it was a isolated problemd.

Me and the mrs don't plan on having kids but I imagine if we did I'd be the one in the waiting room handing out the cigars and brandy. I remember watching the whole 'ordeal' on video in sex education at school and it's something that I would never want to witness again - Especially in person.

Me and the mrs don't plan on having kids but I imagine if we did I'd be the one in the waiting room handing out the cigars and brandy. I remember watching the whole 'ordeal' on video in sex education at school and it's something that I would never want to witness again - Especially in person.

Yeah,I thought that beforehand. Funny that it doesn't always turn out the way you think. Seeing your son enter the world is something you'll never forget, and not because there's a bit of blood and gunk involved. It's an absolutely magic moment that left me overcome with emotion and I'm glad I didn't let my squeamishness stop me witnessing it.

The only think that I found a bit gross was seeing the placenta. Now that is disgusting - like something out of a horror movie.

Yeah,I thought that beforehand. Funny that it doesn't always turn out the way you think. Seeing your son enter the world is something you'll never forget, and not because there's a bit of blood and gunk involved. It's an absolutely magic moment that left me overcome with emotion and I'm glad I didn't let my squeamishness stop me witnessing it.

The only think that I found a bit gross was seeing the placenta. Now that is disgusting - like something out of a horror movie.

I'm really not in a position to disagree with you to be honest. But I still can't see it happening.

Isn't defecation a pretty common occurrence that the nurses often fail to mention beforehand? My basis for that assumption is purely from watching Scrubs by the way.

Edited by noaliasmike

You not use Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's placenta pate recipe then, Gloomy? ;)

Fuck that.

I think you're meant to eat it but your approach is probably preferable.

I've been doing almost entirely obstetric anaesthetics for the last few months. As Cath says it it is a privelidge to be present at such a special time, although the only births I see are either planned or emergency caesarian sections. With the latter, women and their partners have the utmost sympathy from me as things can change so quickly you can almost see their heads spinning. Thankfully It sounds like none of you had the pleasure of a section so urgent that mum has to go to sleep (it's quicker than the anaesthetic that means she's awake throughout), which is a truly horrifying ordeal.

Btw dads who consider their presence optional get on my wick, not being there is cowardice in the face of the enemy!

I'm really not in a position to disagree with you to be honest. But I still can't see it happening.

Isn't defecation a pretty common occurrence that the nurses often fail to mention beforehand? My basis for that assumption is purely from watching Scrubs by the way.

Aye, that's standard. There's not much dignified about labour.