MP banned for Tory cocaine slur

Rob W

MP banned for Tory cocaine slur

Labour MP Dennis Skinner has been banned from the Commons for the rest of Thursday for accusing shadow chancellor George Osborne of snorting cocaine. The claim came as Mr Osborne took on ministers at Treasury questions. Referring to the 1980s, Mr Skinner said: "The only thing that was growing then was the lines of coke in front of Boy George and the rest of the Tories."

Speaker Michael Martin told Bolsover MP Mr Skinner to leave the chamber when he refused to withdraw the remark. The MP also said coalfield areas would have "thanked their lucky stars" for the 1.75% growth now being forecast for this year by Chancellor Gordon Brown.

Thrown out

Mr Martin demanded he withdraw his claim but the veteran MP referred to Sunday newspaper claims - denied by Mr Osborne - that he had taken cocaine. Mr Skinner said: "That was in the News of the World and you know it." He continued to refuse when Mr Martin repeated his demand, saying: "No, I'm not withdrawing it ... it's true".

The speaker told him to withdraw the comment or leave the chamber, eventually saying: "I order you to leave the chamber."

'Beast of Bolsover'

Mr Martin also officially "named" the MP but added - the first step towards punishment: "He's withdrawing, he's taken my advice... I know what I've done, he's moved and that's the main thing." The speaker's office later confirmed that Mr Skinner would be unable to return to the Commons chamber for the rest of the day.

Mr Skinner has earned the nickname "the Beast of Bolsover" for his acerbic attacks on the Tories from his regular front row seat in the Commons chamber.

He has been upbraided in the Commons chamber before, and has been asked to leave nine times since 1979, including a five-day ban in 1981.

In 1992, he was thrown out for calling then Agriculture Minister John Gummer a "little squirt of a minister" and a "wart". And he was banned for the rest of the day in 1995 when he accused ministers of a "crooked deal" to sell off the coal industry.

LINKS TO MORE POLITICS STORIES

He's a ledge like, he constantly stands over the line they're not supposed to when adressing parliament and has given Tony Blair some stick in PM Questions that have left him speechless. Keeps it from being boring at times, but I'm not sure I'd vote for him. :lol:

Dennis Skinner is class!

People go on about that Tory oaf Boris Johnson, but some of the old school labour MPs like Dennis Skinner are better because, they're saying things that a lot of people agree with.

Wasn't it Skinner who once went and got hold of the mace and started guestering it at one of the Tories?

Probably what the 5 day ban was for! :lol:

Wasn't it Skinner who once went and got hold of the mace and started guestering it at one of the Tories?

Probably what the 5 day ban was for! :lol:

66054[/snapback]

No, it wasn't Skinner. Racking me brains to remember who (rotund fella but I can't recall his name now).

Skinner is a bit of an enigma imo. Yes, he occasionally comes out with the witty remark, but do we really want this name calling that he excels in?

He has worn the same jacket for donkeys years now. What is all that about? It is a show, that's all.

Rather do without him tbh.