Who below us will finish above us...

OTF

At the moment we sit in 8th place, having played 23 games with 15 remaining. There's some teams below us on the table currently that I wouldn't have expected to be the case. Generally over the course of a season the imbalances in the table gradually sort themselves out (eg. Hull in 2008/09 started strongly and finished very poorly).

The teams below us currently that I thought would be above us are:

Liverpool

Aston Villa

Everton

Team above us that I thought would be behind us:

Blackburn

I think that there's a very strong chance that Liverpool will finish above us and a decent chance that Everton and even Aston Villa will too. Liverpool are currently 1 point behind us, Everton are 3 and Aston Villa are 5 points behind. Bolton despite their recent flogging at the hands of Chelsea have a good side who embarrassed us earlier in the season so they could very easily overtake us being equal on point currently but having played one game more.

Blackburn are only 1 point ahead and have played one more game so we could leapfrog them with our game in hand against Birmingham (In birmigan!!! To many snow!!!).

Based on these I'd say we're a good chance to finish the season in 10-13th position. Anything higher and I'll be happy, any lower and I'll be disappointed.

One thing this doesn't take into account is the nature of the games remaining - are they against top five oppositions, are they away from home etc.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the moment we sit in 8th place, having played 23 games with 15 remaining. There's some teams below us on the table currently that I wouldn't have expected to be the case. Generally over the course of a season the imbalances in the table gradually sort themselves out (eg. Hull in 2008/09 started strongly and finished very poorly).

The teams below us currently that I thought would be above us are:

Liverpool

Aston Villa

Everton

Team above us that I thought would be behind us:

Blackburn

I think that there's a very strong chance that Liverpool will finish above us and a decent chance that Everton and even Aston Villa will too. Liverpool are currently 1 point behind us, Everton are 3 and Aston Villa are 5 points behind. Bolton despite their recent flogging at the hands of Chelsea have a good side who embarrassed us earlier in the season so they could very easily overtake us being equal on point currently but having played one game more.

Blackburn are only 1 point ahead and have played one more game so we could leapfrog them with our game in hand against Birmingham (In birmigan!!! To many snow!!!).

Based on these I'd say we're a good chance to finish the season in 10-13th position. Anything higher and I'll be happy, any lower and I'll be disappointed.

One thing this doesn't take into account is the nature of the games remaining - are they against top five oppositions, are they away from home etc.

West Ham, Wigan, Wolves to go down. I'd see us finishing 10th. Villa will be below, regardless of Bent's goals. Mackems finish 8th (although could end up lower looking at upcoming fixtures), LFC 7th/ possibly 6th. It'll be close between us and Everton though. Blackburn maybe 9th or below us. If we get REALLY LUCKY, a potential 7th place euro spot.

At top, Man Ure to win, Arse 2nd Chelsea 3rd and Man city 4th. Spurs will end up a gap in points behind in 5th. nothing new there

Either way, we'll be safe and if we could finish above the "greatest team in the NE", it would be fucking hilarious

Have you seen our last 7/8 games? We will most definitely finish above Newcastle United at the end of the season and I see only Liverpool really standing in our way of European football next season.

Just because we've been utter tripe in both derby games this season doesn't mean we play like that in every game. :lol:

Have you seen our last 7/8 games? We will most definitely finish above Newcastle United at the end of the season and I see only Liverpool really standing in our way of European football next season.

Just because we've been utter tripe in both derby games this season doesn't mean we play like that in every game. :jesuswept:

Typical mackem arrogance.

Have you seen your next 7 games?

Just because we've been utter tripe in both derby games this season doesn't mean we play like that in every game. :jesuswept:

I cant see where the goals are going to come from, stoke/everton are both winnable (even if they are away) but city, arsenal, chelsea and spurs are going to be tough for them

i hate being underneath the gap in the table at the moment

hopefully by brum we'll have at least narrowed it (looking at fixtures it's highly likely tbh), and there may be a smaller gap formed between the top and bottom half of around 4 points

really not worth trying to say what the table is going ot look like come may, as this season is so unpredictable we could end up anywhere

Just because we've been utter tripe in both derby games this season doesn't mean we play like that in every game. ;)

:jesuswept:

To be fair our next few games look tough, but we have done surprisingly well against alot of the "top" teams since Bruce came here, wouldn't surprise me if we beat Spurs, Liverpool et al and then lost to West Brom, Wigan and Bolton.

Sunderlands record Vs this seasons top 5:

P6 W2 D3 L1 - 9 points isnt bad really......

but if you consider bent being almost singlehandedly responsible for 4 of them it looks a whole lot different

Edited by rabit71

Thats a fair point but our performances against Manchester United (0-0) and especially Chelsea away where Bent was either missing or didn't make any impact give me some hope.

We have a habit of either beating or drawing against Spurs at home, even when we've been utter turd, for example during the 19 and 15 point relegation seasons we still managed to beat them 2-0 and draw 1-1.

Thats a fair point but our performances against Manchester United (0-0) and especially Chelsea away where Bent was either missing or didn't make any impact give me some hope.

We have a habit of either beating or drawing against Spurs at home, even when we've been utter turd, for example during the 19 and 15 point relegation seasons we still managed to beat them 2-0 and draw 1-1.

I'm curious, where do you see your goals coming from for the rest of the season? its not as if any of your other strikers have been prolific (I'm not taking the piss, I'm just curious)

I'm curious, where do you see your goals coming from for the rest of the season? its not as if any of your other strikers have been prolific (I'm not taking the piss, I'm just curious)

They didnt do bad at the weekend? Bent hasnt been that ace for the past few weeks hasnt he?

We'll just have to see if Gyan can step up to the mark, apparently he prefers to play up top by himself and we didn't do too badly at the weekend playing five across midfield, we'll just have to hope other players can step up to the plate when we're desperate like Richardson did against Blackpool. Thankfully we have one of the better defences in the division.

Edited by Rhys1879SAFC

Vela to Brom could help them a lot. Birmingham making a few signings. West Ham signing Ba and Bridge.

Us? We loan out a player....

You're above all the teams you've listed and I think you still will be come May. Don't forget survival will be a great achievement for Newcastle this season, no need to be disappointed if you finish below the likes of West Brom etc... so long as you're a Premier League football club next season.

Sunderlands record Vs this seasons top 5:

P6 W2 D3 L1 - 7 points isnt bad really......

but if you consider bent being almost singlehandedly responsible for 4 of them it looks a whole lot different

Oh dear

Darren Bent didn't play in our 3-0 win at Chelsea or our 1-1 draw at Spurs. Well done on showing yourself up there you fucking spacker :)

erm bents 90th minute goal got you 1 point against arsenal and his 90th minute goal beat man city for 3....

3 + 1 = 4

unless you misunderstood me saying "responsible for 4 of them" as meaning "responsible for all of them".... but that would be too ironic from someone calling someone else a 'spacker' surely?

erm bents 90th minute goal got you 1 point against arsenal and his 90th minute goal beat man city for 3....

3 + 1 = 4

unless you misunderstood me saying "responsible for 4 of them" as meaning "responsible for all of them".... but that would be too ironic from someone calling someone else a 'spacker' surely?

Gerld :)

3 + 1 = 4

take away his penalty against City we still would have gotten 1 point so that is 3 points that he has won us. 1 third of our points against the top 6.

This must be killing you lot watching us sign two world class players in one afternoon. I'm off now to drink to our 2011/2012 European tour :)