Big Country

trophyshy

I've just noticed they have recruited Mike Peters from The Alarm on vocals and are touring the UK soon.

Of course not the same without Stuart but it will be great to hear those songs live again.

http://www.bigcountry.co.uk/store/items/index.php?area=27

£20 tickets too, pretty reasonable, I think I paid £12 to see them in 1985!

Unfortunately you UNOOTS will have to go to Middlesbrough.

Edited by trophyshy

I've just noticed they have recruited Mike Peters from The Alarm on vocals and are touring the UK soon.

Of course not the same without Stuart but it will be great to hear those songs live again.

saw them with Stuart Adamson. Very good. The backup band was "Cry Before Dawn", an irish band, and recommended if you can find either of the 2 CD's they made.

saw them with Stuart Adamson. Very good. The backup band was "Cry Before Dawn", an irish band, and recommended if you can find either of the 2 CD's they made.

Was that at Whitley Bay Ice Rink?

Was that at Whitley Bay Ice Rink?

Scarborough, about 18 years ago. Cry before Dawn were very good mate, it was a great night because both bands were excellent.

Edited by LeazesMag

Will probably go - mentioned before I was a huge fan of theirs as well as The Alarm though still unsure about this now.

The reviews are good though.

I'm going, just need to work out where.

Will probably go - mentioned before I was a huge fan of theirs as well as The Alarm though still unsure about this now.

don't really know much about The Alarm, were they similar to Big Country ?

Ish - not quite as guitar based in the same way but certainly in terms of strong, emotive vocals. Mike Peters was/is certainly a good singer but he tended to stray into iffy lyrics.

Ish - not quite as guitar based in the same way but certainly in terms of strong, emotive vocals. Mike Peters was/is certainly a good singer but he tended to stray into iffy lyrics.

I'll give them a listen, were they a punk band like Adamson in the Skids ?

I'll give them a listen, were they a punk band like Adamson in the Skids ?

Calling them punk would be a bit of a push - I'd say more a cross between new wave and what evolved into "Indie" - very much like very early U2.

Excellent band. Not sure about Peters' vocals but with the rest of original band lining up will be worth seeing for old times sake.

Saw them first as support to the Jam at Wembley Arena. Played some excellent gigs at City Hall during their heyday and also Redcar on their first tour.

• 2 months later...

Went to see Big Country tonight at Shepherd's Bush.

I've been to a few gigs in the past 2 or 3 years (eg the Manics) where I've noticed that the average age has been similar to mine and I'd say everyone there tonight were in their 40s. On a scale of how the years have treat my fellow travellers I'd probably optimistically place myself in the middle of the range - I still have all my hair with no grey as opposed to a few but there were a lot of tidy lasses there it has to be said.

Mike Peters did his best but it still took me a little while to overcome the whole "this isn't right" feeling but the nostalgia wave of memories of seeing them so many times years ago and the times that they mark in terms of my life soon took over and by the end I was welling up.

I do like to think of myself as the world's most strident Atheist but when Tony Butler ended the night by saying he was sure Stuart's spirit was watching I was a bit of a mess.

If you were a fan I'd say forget any doubts and go for it - overall fucking brilliant.

Went to see Big Country tonight at Shepherd's Bush.

I've been to a few gigs in the past 2 or 3 years (eg the Manics) where I've noticed that the average age has been similar to mine and I'd say everyone there tonight were in their 40s. On a scale of how the years have treat my fellow travellers I'd probably optimistically place myself in the middle of the range - I still have all my hair with no grey as opposed to a few but there were a lot of tidy lasses there it has to be said.

Mike Peters did his best but it still took me a little while to overcome the whole "this isn't right" feeling but the nostalgia wave of memories of seeing them so many times years ago and the times that they mark in terms of my life soon took over and by the end I was welling up.

I do like to think of myself as the world's most strident Atheist but when Tony Butler ended the night by saying he was sure Stuart's spirit was watching I was a bit of a mess.

If you were a fan I'd say forget any doubts and go for it - overall fucking brilliant.

awesome, going on Friday.