Whats the odds on Souness being interested?

Scottish Mag

Turkey bad-boy Alpay Ozalan is pondering a sensational return to English football.

The Cologne defender was banned for four games by the Bundesliga authorities after TV replays showed him elbowing Hamburg's Guy Demel last Saturday.

The incident came after he was caught up in the controversy surrounding the end of Turkey's World Cup play-off with Switzerland when scuffles broke out in the players' tunnel.

With Alpay still remembered for an ugly spat with David Beckham when the England captain missed a penalty in the Euro 2004 qualifier in Istanbul, he has acquired something of a reputation.

However, the former Aston Villa stopper has received offers to return to The Premiership.

"I have had two enquiries from there [England] and also two from German clubs since last weekend," he told Kicker.

"After all that has happened here recently, I would be interested in playing in England again but I don't want to leave the team, the fans and Mr [Wolfgang] Overath in the lurch.

"Also, my wife likes it here in Cologne, as well as my eight-year-old son, who plays for the Cologne youth team, and my five-year-old daughter.

"No [my image in England is not tarnished]. That was all over within a week in England [the Beckham confrontation].

"Everything was fine after that.

"But all the bad press I have had in Germany has got me worried. What if some crazy person comes and attacks my family?"

Alpay was dropped by coach Uwe Rapolder as punishment for the elbowing offence and his future at the club remains uncertain.