Holidays

Jan

I'm planning on doing a tour of europe on trains and busses, stopping at various places staying in cheap hostels; looks like I'll be going on my own, not too fussed can go where I want when I want

Looking at going in September, any advice or places to visit is welcome thanks

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did something similar years ago and the inter-rail package was decent. Definitely go to Italy, brilliant place, brilliant people and amazing food.

I'm planning on doing a tour of europe on trains and busses, stopping at various places staying in cheap hostels; looks like I'll be going on my own, not too fussed can go where I want when I want

Depends what your into really.

BRASSES, DRUGS AND ALE.

nah really, I want to explore decent places

I was thinking about the interailing thing, did you sleep on trains?

I'll probably be quiting my job before so need to sort my life out

We did once, but got a camera and some cash nicked so didn't risk it after that. Not to say that will definitely happen to you mind. I spent more than I thought just bumming around so I'd try and pre-book (pay for) as much as you can before you leave.

After chatting with the HMRC and my work it looks like my rebate is going to be bigger than I thought, plus I've got some holiday from last year that I can take as cash so I'm thinking about another holiday later on this year... quite tempted with another (longer) visit to Western US or even driving cross country.

Yeah I heard it was bad (especially Italy), something about people selling you drinks then robbing wallets when you go to pay

I want to go in football season and try and get to a few foreign games, especially in Germany

Depends what your into really.

I have done over nighters on four trains never slept yet.

Guest You FCB Get Out Of Our Club

I did it when I was younger and it was mint, went round France, Belgium, Holland, Bavaria, Austria - really good, you need loads of energy though and you CAN'T drink every day. I wanted to do Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia and end in Bangkok in the future because I know plenty of people who have done it and they've all said it's the best thing they've ever done.

Nothing booked yet, but we've discussed a cheap break to Cyprus about August time, also been invited to NZ next autumn around the time of the RWC cos me aunty lives in Takapuna, but the flights are ridiculous cos the tournament right now so might wait till winter (their summer), I don't even like rugby, it's for fat posh people who are shit at football, end of. Also could get a free trip to Amsterdam if I hit my targets :lol:

Edited by You FCB Get Out Of Our Club

Other than the sexy fortnight in Düsseldorf, I won a Guardian competition :lol: for a three-day break to Evian-les-Bains on Lake Geneva, so we'll be taking that in August and no doubt feeling thoroughly out of place in amongst all that lovely money.

I did it when I was younger and it was mint, went round France, Belgium, Holland, Bavaria, Austria - really good, you need loads of energy though and you CAN'T drink every day. I wanted to do Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia and end in Bangkok in the future because I know plenty of people who have done it and they've all said it's the best thing they've ever done.

Nothing booked yet, but we've discussed a cheap break to Cyprus about August time, also been invited to NZ next autumn around the time of the RWC cos me aunty lives in Takapuna, but the flights are ridiculous cos the tournament right now so might wait till winter (their summer), I don't even like rugby, it's for fat posh people who are shit at football, end of. Also could get a free trip to Amsterdam if I hit my targets :unsure:

:lol: Spot on, fucking Rugby Yawnion Bummers who shag after a game. Cunts!

Well this year will be a busy one for me:

April

Belgium for the Tour of Flanders. Day before the race Im cycling the 260km route in a sportive race.

June

Ibiza with the Missus,looking forward to this, off to Santa Eulalia for chilling out and eating lots

September

Copenhagan for the Cycling World Championships, cant wait for this always wanted to goto Denmark.

In between them I have 4 24hr endurance races, 3 100km races and doing Way of the Roses for the gfriends work.

Should be fun :icon_lol:

Was thinking of Andalucia but been warned its ridiculously hot in August when we're planning on going.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Want a bit of culture but also a nice beech to relax and unwind on.

Needs to be fairly easy to get too... i.e. not 14 hour flights and then a huge journey at the other end

Somewhere thats a decent 30 degrees but no more would be nice.

Everywhere in the Northern hemisphere that is 'hot' is likely to be hot in August. I'm not great in heat but have found the Costa del Sol to be OK as you tend to get sea breezes. Only been in May or September though. There's a nice resort about 50 mile east og Malaga called Nerja which is worth seeing, and Marbella is canny nice despite its rep. Not much culture though. What about Barcelona? Or Nice in cote d'azure (direct Easy Jet flights). The latter will be expensive though.

Nice might be a good shout actually... will have a look in to it so cheers for that.

Been to Barcelona last year for my stag do... love the place but think i'd rather go for a few days rather than a full 2 weeks. Cracking place tho... especially when you get to go to the Nou Camp and watch Barca lift the title :lol:

Was thinking of Andalucia but been warned its ridiculously hot in August when we're planning on going.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Want a bit of culture but also a nice beech to relax and unwind on.

Needs to be fairly easy to get too... i.e. not 14 hour flights and then a huge journey at the other end

Somewhere thats a decent 30 degrees but no more would be nice.

Get yerself to Nice. Lovely and cheap from newcastle with easy yet.

Loads of culture, fabulous beaches, great transport system with St Tropex etc to the right and Monte Carlo to the left.

Yep sounds pretty good tbh... will look in to it this week I think.... just found out 10% of staff at my work are getting laid off so might have to wait to book anything to see if i'm getting the axe or not. Bad times!

Crossword?

Fucksticks!

No, just a random competition on their sports pages, linked from the Fiver. Not a part of the world I'd ever have gone to if it wasn't free, but I'm quite looking forward to seeing how the other half lives (then skulking back to the hotel room because all I can afford to eat is supermarket sandwiches).

• 2 months later...

A week in Dubrovnik early next month. Train to London on a newspaper deal - £20 pp return. Flying out of Gatwick - a cracking £125 pp return. Got to be down south anyway for a gig.

Croatiaaah!

Wheres Kev going with his burger money? Fucking butlins watching H from Steps perform live. Fucking poor twat. A broken wrist as well.

Rhyl again for you then?

Edited by Idioteque

Berlin for a week in june - got to keep an eye on the Jormans

Had a week in Berlin last September lovely City with some great walking tours. Not cheap mind :D