Fulham vs Newcastle United

Toon_Man

While it was frustrating to concede such a soft goal due to Enrique being caught napping the score probably flattered us. We were completely overrun in the middle of the park and offered very little upfront (with very little service into the front two tbf). Factor in that we've lost the only striker left at the club who's looked like he has goals in him over the past 18 months and it looks like a long, hard season from here on in. Tiote can't come back quick enough but we might pay a heavy price for not getting a replacement for Carroll (even if it was only a temporary one).

Spot on.

When we played the ball into space for Ranger and Best they didnt do too bad, but when it was into the corner areas nobody from Midfield was busting a gut to get into the box and support them. A lot of the time Best was poor and looked on his arse for confidence. Ranger, well, he has the opportunity now to stake his claim.

We need to get the midfield sorted and my concern is whilst Tiote is one of our best ball winning midfield players and best passers, he gives away a lot of free kicks and gets too many bookings.

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ireland is going to have to come good playing slightly off a sole striker tbh because what we have is basically dog shit. Not his position, but the alternative of lining up with two poor strikers uptop is psychologically damaging from the moment you see a team sheet, never mind the soul sapping process of trying to find them balls from midfield all game that are just going to get wasted.

Ireland/Barfa is going to have to link it up and thats my only hope for the rest of the season. You can't start any game with two shit strikers, you might as well not bother turning up.

I also think Ranger offers very little at present starting whereas can cause defenders a few problems coming on with 20 minutes or so to go. Lovenkrands is utterly fucking shite imo, being ineffective and a complete coward. At the moment I'd pack the midfield and ask Best to work his arse off for 60 mins. By no means ideal but the only scenario in which I see us being competitive. I'm assuming Shola is out for a while with a knackered cheek or I'd start him. And he's shite.

Ya can't jump on rangers back so quickly for being off pace or rusty, the lads been hoyed on in the last 10minutes of games at best and still got into more positions/chances than ameobi has.

with regular starts hopefully he gets a bit of confidence and starts tucking things away.

All this aside i think we're totally fucked

Agreed.

Don't get the Enrique bashing, our best player by a mile in the first half. Second half he was on the opposite side of the pitch, so view wasn't great of him, but clearly asleep for the goal and lost the ball a couple of times in the final third, but no worse than anyone else. I didn't realise Guthrie was playing and Lovenkrands only contribution that i can think of was the throw in when Ranger had his chance.

Hangeland bossed our front two, not that it was difficult and we had no pace to get behind them, so goals would have come from a set piece or a fluke.

I also think Ranger offers very little at present starting whereas can cause defenders a few problems coming on with 20 minutes or so to go. Lovenkrands is utterly fucking shite imo, being ineffective and a complete coward. At the moment I'd pack the midfield and ask Best to work his arse off for 60 mins. By no means ideal but the only scenario in which I see us being competitive. I'm assuming Shola is out for a while with a knackered cheek or I'd start him. And he's shite.

Even in that scenario if we get one more injury it almost guarantees defeat.

Spot on.

Even in that scenario if we get one more injury it almost guarantees defeat.

The only alternative is going two upfront, which'll be more effective than it was last night with Tiote back. In either case though we're really only looking at picking up points against the genuinely shite sides imo.

Spot on.

Looking at it from another perspective (ie ignoring how we manage to put the ball in the back of the net for a second), it might also have the added bonus of making us harder to break down. Which probably can't be overstated in terms of importance because a run of defeats would be fucking dreadful given the sense of hopelessness after that window. It might just convert some overstretched defeats where we're trying to find futile through balls and leaving ourselves exposed into ground out draws. Depressing as that is to type.

Spot on.

Looking at it from another perspective (ie ignoring how we manage to put the ball in the back of the net for a second), it might also have the added bonus of making us harder to break down. Which probably can't be overstated in terms of importance because a run of defeats would be fucking dreadful given the sense of hopelessness after that window. It might just convert some overstretched defeats where we're trying to find futile through balls and leaving ourselves exposed into ground out draws. Depressing as that is to type.

That's part of my thinking really. If we were in any doubt before Carroll left we now know with absolute certainty that the rest of the season is about accumulating enough points to stay up. It's absolutely criminal that we didn't get someone on loan upfront. Losing Shola can't even be considered to be that unlucky given the frequency with which he breaks down anyway (I know the nature of the injury was unusual but the point still stands imo).

Spot on.

That's part of my thinking really. If we were in any doubt before Carroll left we now know with absolute certainty that the rest of the season is about accumulating enough points to stay up. It's absolutely criminal that we didn't get someone on loan upfront. Losing Shola can't even be considered to be that unlucky given the frequency with which he breaks down anyway (I know the nature of the injury was unusual but the point still stands imo).

Aye.

Depending on who's available and who we're playing, I'd be tempted to go two up front at home against certain opposition, but other than that I'd probably opt for the midfield shut out you're on about. We can't go to Anfield etc with Ranger/Lovenkrands Best/Ranger Shola(?)/....... taking up two starting places up top, it's just an afternoon off for their back four and doubles the workload for our midfield (zero retention of possession from any forward pass).

The pub where I watched it was rammed with Toon like. A bizarre mix of Geordie student rah's back for uni piping down and looking sheepish due to a transit van full of the cast of auf wiedersehn pet on some roofing job, stood in front of their table with a 12-man relay system to the bar. :lol:

we were talking about this last night, and its all we have for the rest of the season now. If Ireland plays, they will push Nolan further up again, and thats our formation.

When all's said and done, that side would have been playing last night whether we'd sold Carroll or not.

Emphasises the fact that, aside from the fact that we could ill afford to lose Carroll, equally if not more so we couldn't afford to not bring anyone more in.

We've lost our front 2 now though. Only Nolan is good for a goal now until Shola recovers. Its going to be a tough run in.

Oh I agree - it's another bloody mess in the life of NUFC :lol:

anyone got any prozac? :icon_lol:

from what i saw, it was one team thats played together for a year or so and knows its game against a newcastle side that was about as toothless as any i've seen in the premiership. nolan needs to be pushed further forward, best is nowhere near good enough.... dutty custard is shit, lovenkrands is a fast poof. shola's the only really premiership ( lower half of the table) quality player we have up front.

we may have to play 4-6-0 as the forwards are just nowhere near good enough.

the one thing about nolan is he\s useless in a 442 without tiote mopping up next to him. he just strolls around. passenger when he's not scoring goals and that's the problem. who else in that side is going to score the goals if you take nolan out?

Agreed tbh, if we put 5 in midfield whereby Tiote sits back and 2 (Ireland and Nolan?) sat just off Best then we might nick a goal here and there. Then like you say hoy Ranger on when the defenders are knackered in the last 20 minutes. Losing Shola is a huge kick in the sack, as realistically he's the only one we've got that can play up front alone since Best isn't cut out for this division, Ranger is way too young and inexperienced to try and play that role (if he ever will be able too) and Lovenkrands is Lovenkrands.