Ashley's Transfer History thread

Happy Face

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like he's halfway there then. Only 3½ years of this cunt before he recoups his cash and fucks off :lol:

Since putting the club on the market the first time he's closer to £55million in profit on the transfer market.

What relevance does this have though? The £21m worth of players sold after relegation would not have covered the losses made during the subsequent season and we are in the process of spending the Carroll money. If we spend it all, then there will be no "profit" from the transfer market, as spurious a notion that is anyway.

A few people are trying to make out we are a selling club but as far as i can see only Milner, N'Zogbia and Carroll support that view. I'm glad we sold Milner, disappointed at the time for Carroll but with the NOTW article on Sunday questioning his attitude, lifestyle and fitness, it looks like it could be fantastic business. Which leaves N'Zogbia which we are potentially buying back. Shit evidence tbh.

Looks like he's halfway there then. Only 3½ years of this cunt before he recoups his cash and fucks off :lol:

Since putting the club on the market the first time he's closer to £55million in profit on the transfer market.

What relevance does this have though? The £21m worth of players sold after relegation would not have covered the losses made during the subsequent season and we are in the process of spending the Carroll money. If we spend it all, then there will be no "profit" from the transfer market, as spurious a notion that is anyway.

A few people are trying to make out we are a selling club but as far as i can see only Milner, N'Zogbia and Carroll support that view. I'm glad we sold Milner, disappointed at the time for Carroll but with the NOTW article on Sunday questioning his attitude, lifestyle and fitness, it looks like it could be fantastic business. Which leaves N'Zogbia which we are potentially buying back. Shit evidence tbh.

Word on the street is he's anything but happy in the land of the scally.

Why Zoggy and not Given?

Just remembered...

We sell Carroll, i donate a 100 to a charity of your choice. We keep him and you do the same. Nae odds.

http://www.toontastic.net/board/index.php?...st&p=835616

You can give it to Run Geordie Run :lol:

Edited by Happy Face

Further demonstrating your financial acumen by offering me a bet on a past event :lol:

Not Given because they had no choice. Wasn't the final price something like £4m for him too? Also he was old, I was trying to look at evidence of sales that suggest we sell young player we have developed for financial gain. Given wanted out and for good reason at the time.

Still shit evidence tbh.

Further demonstrating your financial acumen by offering me a bet on a past event :lol:

Not Given because they had no choice. Wasn't the final price something like £4m for him too? Also he was old, I was trying to look at evidence of sales that suggest we sell young player we have developed for financial gain. Given wanted out and for good reason at the time.

Still shit evidence tbh.

And Bassong was a young player we developed (across his first season in the Premier League) and sold for a gain. He wanted out too though, despite being under contract and on one of the cheapest set of wages at the club.

I'm sure that'll be shit evidence too. Different case to Carroll, cos relegation demanded it.

When Enrique goes in this window we'll have tried everything in our power to keep him too I suppose. We can't force anyone to stay.

Gazza and Beardsley and Waddle all wanted to leave too, we weren't a selling club under Seymour.

Wise up.

As someone mentioned it in the deadline thread, I'll maintain this opening post as a go-to reference. Corrections gratefully received.

Summer 2007

Out

Alan O'Brien -£200,000

Scott Parker -£7,000,000

Albert Luque -£1,000,000

Kieron Dyer -£6,000,000

Nolberto Solano -£500,000

Paul Huntington -£500,000

In

Joey Barton £5,800,000

Abdoulaye Faye £2,000,000

Alan Smith £6,000,000

Habib Beye £2,000,000

Jose Enrique £6,000,000

Total = £6.6 million spend

January 2008

Out

none

In

Fabio Zamblera £300,000

Total = £300K spend

Summer 2008

Out

David Rozehnal -£2,900,000

Emre -£2,000,000

Abdoulaye Faye -£2,250,000

James Milner -£12,000,000

In

Danny Guthrie £2,500,000

Jonas Gutierrez £5,200,000

Fabricio Coloccini £9,100,000

Francisco Jiminez Tejada "Xisco" £5,000,000

Total = £2.65 Million spend

January 2009

Out

Charles N'Zogbia -£6,000,000

Shay Given -£8,000,000

In

Kevin Nolan £4,000,000

Total = £10 Million net inflow

Summer 2009

Out

Obafemi Martins -£9,000,000

Damien Duff -£2,500,000

Habib Beye -£2,000,000

Sebastien Bassong -£8,000,000

In

None

Total = £21.5 million net inflow

January 2010

Out

None

In

Danny Simpson £1,000,000

Wayne Routledge £1,000,000

Mike Williamson £1,000,000

Leon Best £1,000,000

Total = £4 million spend

Summer 2010

Out

None

In

James Perch £1,000,000

Cheick Tiote £3,500,000

Total = £4.5 Million Spend

January 2011

Out

Andy Carroll -£35,000,000

In

Hatem Ben  Arfa £5,750,000

Total = £29.25 Million net inflow

Summer 2011

Out

In

Yohan Cabaye £4,300,000

Total = £4.3 Million Spend

GRAND TOTAL = £42.4 Million net inflow

didnt nufc also sign David Rozenhal from PSG in summer 2007 ?

Selling players because you've been relegated is also shit evidence of us being a selling club now. If you can't see that, I'll give up here.

The other examples were prior to relegation.

I'm sure you're right though.

Selling your best players and being relegated as a result, then selling the players that get you back up doesn't make you a selling club.

We won't sell any quality players in this window and all the Carroll money will be reinvested. Pardoo will make sure of that.

It's a fairly tenuous argument, it's certainly evidence towards the idea but neither Milner or N'Zogbia were meant to be the heart and soul of the club, were not universally classed as good players by the fans and both left under ridiculous circumstances. It's not a convincing argument at all. Carroll is but if that sale leaves the team stronger then it just becomes a shit argument.

If any of the 3 big players leave then that would be good evidence but that hasnt happened yet. I guess thats why I am not assuming we will sell them. Even if we did, the circumstances may be right i.e. Enrique goes to Barca for £15m+.

It's a fairly tenuous argument, it's certainly evidence towards the idea but neither Milner or N'Zogbia were meant to be the heart and soul of the club, were not universally classed as good players by the fans and both left under ridiculous circumstances. It's not a convincing argument at all. Carroll is but if that sale leaves the team stronger then it just becomes a shit argument.

If any of the 3 big players leave then that would be good evidence but that hasnt happened yet. I guess thats why I am not assuming we will sell them. Even if we did, the circumstances may be right i.e. Enrique goes to Barca for £15m+.

This is EXACTLY what you were saying in January tbh. How there had been no pattern of selling, circumstances had dictated previously, you couldn't imagine any scenario in which we would sell Carroll and the best indicator for the next window was the previous window.

Surprised you're as conceited on this subject as you are. That's not to say we'll be selling everyone and signing no-one this window, just that it remains to be seen.

This is EXACTLY what you were saying in January tbh. How there had been no pattern of selling, circumstances had dictated previously, you couldn't imagine any scenario in which we would sell Carroll and the best indicator for the next window was the previous window.

Surprised you're as conceited on this subject as you are. That's not to say we'll be selling everyone and signing no-one this window, just that it remains to be seen.

I didnt know Abramovich was going to allow us to command £35m for him. In January i was making the point that the last 2 windows, with the benefit of hindsight were very good. The argument put forward at the time was that we were bound to sell him as thats what we do, sell our best players. For the last 2 windows that wasnt true.

Its telling that you keep bringing up me being convinced Carroll would stay and not foreseeing the quite frankly ridiculous circumstances when i express my point of view. Which incidentally is that it remains to be seen whether the negative perspective on the Carroll money (spend none of it) will come true as the evidence is mixed and is not definitive.

Conceited? In which way do you mean?

I didnt know Abramovich was going to allow us to command £35m for him. In January i was making the point that the last 2 windows, with the benefit of hindsight were very good. The argument put forward at the time was that we were bound to sell him as thats what we do, sell our best players. For the last 2 windows that wasnt true.

Its telling that you keep bringing up me being convinced Carroll would stay and not foreseeing the quite frankly ridiculous circumstances when i express my point of view. Which incidentally is that it remains to be seen whether the negative perspective on the Carroll money (spend none of it) will come true as the evidence is mixed and is not definitive.

Conceited? In which way do you mean?

EVERY window has some circumstances to explain away selling, that's the point.

There's 6 examples above of us selling our top, top players in the last 3 years, right up to the last window. But that's "shit evidence" and a "shit argument" (which is what I mean by conceited). Alternatively, we've brought in Tiote and Ben Arfa rather cheaply and now Cabaye, one of these has worked out so far, and this is proof positive of a new level of ambition. I'm happy with all 3 buys and look forward to more. Still worry which important players we'll lose.

Well not every window, January 2010 and last summer didnt see our top players leaving so there was nothing to explain away.

I dont agree with 6 as none of the players that left when we were relegated were wrong decisions given the circumstances. I see 3 and thats a number that could be explained away on individual circumstances. As a body of evidence, its shit and banging on about how selling Carroll should have every right-minded Newcastle fan giving up on the club when it looks like it will end up improving us overall, is yes, a shit argument.

Saying something is shit is not conceited either, its a firmly expressed opinion backed up by reasoned argument. CT is getting grief for posting opinions people dont agree with in one thread as he's not backing it up and i get personal shit when expressing an opinion that i've tried to reason and back up. Great stuff.

A point oft missed in this area of discussion, is that, they turned down £30Mill for Carroll. Yes they said his price was £35Mill but they did so no to £30Mill.

A point oft missed in this area of discussion, is that, they turned down £30Mill for Carroll. Yes they said his price was £35Mill but they did so no to £30Mill.

You don't think they would have accepted the 30 if it had been made clear that that was the final offer?

You don't think they would have accepted the 30 if it had been made clear that that was the final offer?

But they didn't accept £30Mill, that's the truth of the matter.

With what words Liverpool responded to them declining the 30 we don't know, but they went off and screwed Chelsea for another £5Mill, they wouldn't have done that unless they thought they really had to.

With what words Liverpool responded to them declining the 30 we don't know, but they went off and screwed Chelsea for another £5Mill, they wouldn't have done that unless they thought they really had to.

Oh come on, if we'd rejected the 30 and Liverpool had come back and said "well that's it, 30 is as high as we're prepared to go", there was still at least a good 6 hours of the window left for us to cave. You're crazy if you think we wouldn't have taken the 30 million come midnight.

Oh come on, if we'd rejected the 30 and Liverpool had come back and said "well that's it, 30 is as high as we're prepared to go", there was still at least a good 6 hours of the window left for us to cave. You're crazy if you think we wouldn't have taken the 30 million come midnight.

I would have mind. BUT your post is speculation, the fact is we didn't.

Why on earth would Liverpool risk, in turn, re-screwing Chelsea if they thought they didn't REALLY need to. If it was so easy, why didn't they screw Chelsea for another £10Mill to make a wee profit on the deal.

Because we were obviously convincing in our negotiations AND Liverpool were fucking desperate AND Abramovich wanted his man and time was running out. We were playing the game and playing it well, but I don't believe for a second that we would have taken a firm stance on £35m had it looked like £30m was slipping away. There is no way that midnight would have ticked over to 12:01 with £30m bid rejected for Carroll.

And yes, that's very obviously speculation, but it's crazy to think otherwise imo.

Well not every window, January 2010 and last summer didnt see our top players leaving so there was nothing to explain away.

I dont agree with 6 as none of the players that left when we were relegated were wrong decisions given the circumstances. I see 3 and thats a number that could be explained away on individual circumstances. As a body of evidence, its shit and banging on about how selling Carroll should have every right-minded Newcastle fan giving up on the club when it looks like it will end up improving us overall, is yes, a shit argument.

Saying something is shit is not conceited either, its a firmly expressed opinion backed up by reasoned argument. CT is getting grief for posting opinions people dont agree with in one thread as he's not backing it up and i get personal shit when expressing an opinion that i've tried to reason and back up. Great stuff.

"Individual circumstances" like you were glad about it? How's that reasoned argument?

I've not been banging on about anyone (right or wrong minded) giving up on the club, I've paid 3 years in advance so how you get that is beyond me. And I've not been banging on about Carroll either, I was making this argument before he went, I argued in January that we were as likely to sell Carroll based on previous experience as we were to keep him. His sale and the lack of contracts being offered to secure our other top players suggest to me we'll see more go this window.

Saying something is shit is not conceited I agree. But you're saying my reasoned argument (supported by examples both before I started making it and after) is shit, but that your "I'm glad we sold Milner...therefore you're talking shit" argument is wholly superior. I think the superiority you see in your argument is without foundation* and that's where I think you're being conceited about it.

I expect more of you than I do CT. You should too :lol:

*That's not to say your argument is without foundation. I fully appreciate the point that Ashley has only actually turned a profit in 3 out of 9 windows in his control so far, one of which followed relegation. That's not an argument I would say was shit. It's just not one that fills me with optimism given the contract wrangles ongoing.