Ashley's Transfer History thread

Happy Face

You might be right Gemmill but in this case what matters is what Liverpool thought. For whatever reason (rejecting the £30m bid in all probability) they thought the club would have left Carroll unsold if the bid was only £30m.

The strong evidence to support this view is the final price being £35m+. Selling clubs who actively tout the player aren't strengthening their negotiating position either.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HF you get Milner as your crowning piece of evidence, of the 3 I agree back up your point of view, Milner is your strongest piece of evidence. As I was glad we sold him at the time, I put a question mark over the sale categorically proving your point. Milner supports your argument, that was my point. You're deliberate mis-reading of an argument might work with CT but its less likely to work with someone who has thought things through already. Stick that conceitedness up yer arse.

:lol:

HF you get Milner as your crowning piece of evidence, of the 3 I agree back up your point of view, Milner is your strongest piece of evidence. As I was glad we sold him at the time, I put a question mark over the sale categorically proving your point. Milner supports your argument, that was my point. You're deliberate mis-reading of an argument might work with CT but its less likely to work with someone who has thought things through already. Stick that conceitedness up yer arse.

I'm not misreading anything. Does my postscript not reflect your point basically? I'm just disagreeing.

I would have mind. BUT your post is speculation, the fact is we didn't..

"Newcastle would have gone bust if Ashley hadnt come in."

Thats not speculation like? you say that enough

Yes it's speculation on my part, based upon my interpretation/opinion of evidence, never said it wasn't.

BTW Ashley or someone with deep pockets, is what I usually say, just happens to have been Ashley.

There is no foundation to suggest they would have taken £30Mill. We're talking about a chain of bazillionaire's negotiating, NO WAY would Liverpool have, in turn, tried to squeeze Chelsea if they thought they didn't have to. (that's speculation too, but I think it's logical).

Edited by Toonpack

I'm not misreading anything. Does my postscript not reflect your point basically? I'm just disagreeing.

your "I'm glad we sold Milner...therefore you're talking shit" argument is wholly superior

I am saying what you have is Milner and the suspicion that the Carroll money wont be used as the evidence base for the extreme negative view. Well tbf, also the potential sale of other players too.

your "I'm glad we sold Milner...therefore you're talking shit" argument is wholly superior

I am saying what you have is Milner and the suspicion that the Carroll money wont be used as the evidence base for the extreme negative view. Well tbf, also the potential sale of other players too.

Not sure I've been extremely negative in this window. You started this argument with me by quoting a post from February when I was extremely negative having lost our best striker and not replaced him.

I'm quite hopeful for this window, but I fear the worst having sold...

Milner - you agree, it supports the argument.

Given - You say we had no choice, I say he was under contract and we rushed it to get as much as possible in the winter window. No reason it couldn't wait until summer.

Zoggy - All I can see from you on him is that we might possibly buy him back. That doesn't support any argument we were right to sell him. I say it's the same as the Given sale. Even if we did buy him back, I'm not sure why paying more for him than we got and paying higher wages would be a good thing.

Bassong - You say we had been relegated and had to get what we could for who we could. I totally agree. As one of the youngest, brightest prospects at the time being paid a very low wage, it's still annoying that those in charge dragged us down and had justification for selling.

Carroll - You say we'll reinvest. It remains to be seen.

All the talk was a of an early push in the transfer market to bring in the names we wanted. Here we are 3 weeks from the start of pre-season training with 2 players signed at a cumulative total of £4.3m. That doesn't prove anything of course, we've got 2 months to go. I'm happy to wait and see and congratulate you for being spot on about Ashley's intentions come September 1st.

Looks like he's halfway there then. Only 3½ years of this cunt before he recoups his cash and fucks off :lol:

Since putting the club on the market the first time he's closer to £55million in profit on the transfer market.

What relevance does this have though? The £21m worth of players sold after relegation would not have covered the losses made during the subsequent season and we are in the process of spending the Carroll money. If we spend it all, then there will be no "profit" from the transfer market, as spurious a notion that is anyway.

A few people are trying to make out we are a selling club but as far as i can see only Milner, N'Zogbia and Carroll support that view. I'm glad we sold Milner, disappointed at the time for Carroll but with the NOTW article on Sunday questioning his attitude, lifestyle and fitness, it looks like it could be fantastic business. Which leaves N'Zogbia which we are potentially buying back. Shit evidence tbh.

do I detect a change of stance from Chez to a "pro-Ashley" position lately ?

;)

Looks like he's halfway there then. Only 3½ years of this cunt before he recoups his cash and fucks off :lol:

Since putting the club on the market the first time he's closer to £55million in profit on the transfer market.

What relevance does this have though? The £21m worth of players sold after relegation would not have covered the losses made during the subsequent season and we are in the process of spending the Carroll money. If we spend it all, then there will be no "profit" from the transfer market, as spurious a notion that is anyway.

A few people are trying to make out we are a selling club but as far as i can see only Milner, N'Zogbia and Carroll support that view. I'm glad we sold Milner, disappointed at the time for Carroll but with the NOTW article on Sunday questioning his attitude, lifestyle and fitness, it looks like it could be fantastic business. Which leaves N'Zogbia which we are potentially buying back. Shit evidence tbh.

Word on the street is he's anything but happy in the land of the scally.

maybe he's had a better offer, as he only moves for the money ?

Further demonstrating your financial acumen by offering me a bet on a past event :lol:

Not Given because they had no choice. Wasn't the final price something like £4m for him too? Also he was old, I was trying to look at evidence of sales that suggest we sell young player we have developed for financial gain. Given wanted out and for good reason at the time.

Still shit evidence tbh.

And Bassong was a young player we developed (across his first season in the Premier League) and sold for a gain. He wanted out too though, despite being under contract and on one of the cheapest set of wages at the club.

I'm sure that'll be shit evidence too. Different case to Carroll, cos relegation demanded it.

When Enrique goes in this window we'll have tried everything in our power to keep him too I suppose. We can't force anyone to stay.

Gazza and Beardsley and Waddle all wanted to leave too, we weren't a selling club under Seymour.

Wise up.

the evidence that we are a selling club again, like under McKeag etc, is actually overwhelming.

A point oft missed in this area of discussion, is that, they turned down £30Mill for Carroll. Yes they said his price was £35Mill but they did so no to £30Mill.

You don't think they would have accepted the 30 if it had been made clear that that was the final offer?

But they didn't accept £30Mill, that's the truth of the matter.

With what words Liverpool responded to them declining the 30 we don't know, but they went off and screwed Chelsea for another £5Mill, they wouldn't have done that unless they thought they really had to.

sigh. Yawn.

I would have mind. BUT your post is speculation, the fact is we didn't..

"Newcastle would have gone bust if Ashley hadnt come in."

Thats not speculation like? you say that enough

Not sure I've been extremely negative in this window. You started this argument with me by quoting a post from February when I was extremely negative having lost our best striker and not replaced him.

I'm quite hopeful for this window, but I fear the worst having sold...

Milner - you agree, it supports the argument.

Given - You say we had no choice, I say he was under contract and we rushed it to get as much as possible in the winter window. No reason it couldn't wait until summer.

Zoggy - All I can see from you on him is that we might possibly buy him back. That doesn't support any argument we were right to sell him. I say it's the same as the Given sale. Even if we did buy him back, I'm not sure why paying more for him than we got and paying higher wages would be a good thing.

Bassong - You say we had been relegated and had to get what we could for who we could. I totally agree. As one of the youngest, brightest prospects at the time being paid a very low wage, it's still annoying that those in charge dragged us down and had justification for selling.

Carroll - You say we'll reinvest. It remains to be seen.

All the talk was a of an early push in the transfer market to bring in the names we wanted. Here we are 3 weeks from the start of pre-season training with 2 players signed at a cumulative total of £4.3m. That doesn't prove anything of course, we've got 2 months to go. I'm happy to wait and see and congratulate you for being spot on about Ashley's intentions come September 1st.

I just dont think it will be as bad as people feared. We will buy and sell, its hard to say now how that will balance out in September. I'm not for one minute thinking we will just add 5 great players and thats it, unfortunately.

Buying N'Zogbia back for more money shows incompetence and poor decision making, it just doesnt support the extreme view that the only objective is to sell players to make money to go into Ashley's pocket. Too much credence is given to this position by too many and knowing how you like to advocate the side of an argument, its good to go into the strengths and weakness with you.

The Bassong sale was genius, we didnt need him, it helped us out of our hole and Spurs are thinking of selling him as he failed to impress last season.

If only Enrique goes but we bring in e.g. Barnetta, Erding, Ba, Gardner & Taylor then i would be expecting some credit for putting a positive spin on things. :lol:

Just trying to highlight its not all doom and gloom, its not as good as it was and thats a big shame for all of us but i think things might be looking up, just not looking up as high as before.

Just trying to highlight its not all doom and gloom, its not as good as it was and thats a big shame for all of us but i think things might be looking up, just not looking up as high as before.

you're really just getting sucked into this finance stuff by Toonpack, and forgetting its what happens on the pitch that determines the direction you are going as a football club. The fact that we are selling our best players, key players want to leave, and replacements are cheaper and without a "feel" for the club - especially when 2 players going through the exit door could be the 2 players who are the heartbeat of the club - doesn't look good at all.

you're really just getting sucked into this finance stuff by Toonpack, and forgetting its what happens on the pitch that determines the direction you are going as a football club. The fact that we are selling our best players, key players want to leave, and replacements are cheaper and without a "feel" for the club - especially when 2 players going through the exit door could be the 2 players who are the heartbeat of the club - doesn't look good at all.

Thats the part that's most worrying to me

Thats the part that's most worrying to me

Barton has been very well lokked after by the club, but thinks he is better than he is. He is not the heartbeat of the club. Nolan is, and I would be devastated if he went.

There is no foundation to suggest they would have taken £30Mill. We're talking about a chain of bazillionaire's negotiating,

Other than it being fairly common knowledge a week earlier that a deal had been agreed in principal with Spurs for £22m, this was then backed up by 'Arry talking about our transfer dealings the day after.

Other than that good solid information that they were going to accept £22m I agree, there is nothing to say theyd have caved in to an additional 8m

There is no foundation to suggest they would have taken £30Mill. We're talking about a chain of bazillionaire's negotiating,

Other than it being fairly common knowledge a week earlier that a deal had been agreed in principal with Spurs for £22m, this was then backed up by 'Arry talking about our transfer dealings the day after.

Other than that good solid information that they were going to accept £22m I agree, there is nothing to say theyd have caved in to an additional 8m

everything is great in Toonpacks view because we are stashing up a nice little bank balance to look at, until it disappears down a big black hole.

Really, is this documented somewhere?

I would have thought if it were true the £30 Mill would have been a sort of "snap their hands off" sort of thing yet the £30Mill was rejected.

Strange that, even Carroll is quoted as knowing nothing about any move until that final day.

No choice but to sell Nolan. Doesn't mean we're a selling club.

3 years older than Rooney, clearly past it. Scored more than him last year though. Capti like him are ten a penny. Stevie Taylor will do the job just as well.

3 years older than Rooney, clearly past it. Scored more than him last year though. Capti like him are ten a penny. Stevie Taylor will do the job just as well.

We did well to cover over the fact that his legs were gone this season. The perfect crime. Will be surprised if anyone even notices that Nolan's not here next season. Business as usual, chalk up another win for Ashley.

We did well to cover over the fact that his legs were gone this season. The perfect crime. Will be surprised if anyone even notices that Nolan's not here next season. Business as usual, chalk up another win for Ashley.

He mustn't need legs then cos he was CT'a player of the season. There's no higher authority.

He mustn't need legs then cos he was CT'a player of the season. There's no higher authority.

Are you sure? You wouldnt be making things up again would you?