Ashley's Transfer History thread

Happy Face

Not sure why Toonpack was trying to defend CT when the point was clear. Typical of the fickle nature of this board of late that everyone's trying to get the one up on someone else over even the most trivial of thing.

T'was simply a "point of order", Alex and I snipe quite a lot, all in good fun, it was far from being a defence of CT per se and pedantry is fun.

Since I have ignored LM I haven't quite completely recalibrated down the sensitivity of my "making things up" radar/defences.

:)

Good Answer.

CT, you really haven't said a lot in that post. Do you think the sale of Nolan is a good one? Do you honestly think that Cabaye was signed to replace Nolan... or was Nolan's sale opportunistic because the club was able to force West Ham to offer what they felt was an acceptable figure?

If Nolan had signed the contract that Simon Bird talks about would you have seen it as a good thing?

Do you think the three players you have idnetified (Jonas, Shola & Lovenkrands) should be sold to facilitate their replacements, or do you think the 35M for Carroll shuold be enough to replace them whilst keeping them for depth?

I think it was a pretty clear answer. ;)

In an ideal world you would just add to the squad should answer your questions on Nolan but in the real world NUFC are not going to pay him big bucks to as Chez puts it, possible not even make the bench.

Would have been excellent if Barton (my player of the season :wub: ) and Nolan had signed in January. They chose not to.

Re your last paragraph, unless you have your head in the sand its pretty obvious there is a hell of lot going on at St James with regard to replacing these three.

Replace them in the squad or in the first team? - Lovenkrands was only in the first team firstly through the sale of Carroll and secondly through injury.

Do you think the sale of Nolan is a good one? Do you honestly think that Cabaye was signed to replace Nolan?

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the talk was Barton would accept a pay cut. Now he supposedly refused a new and improved deal. The club are making their mouths go while Barton is being warned to shut his (he could conceivably be fined two weeks wages btw and I wouldn't be surprised if that's what he's been told).

Very good speaker.

What's he saying?

Everything but the bottom line of he's fell out with Ashley over his talk in ramblings.

Not really said anything knew about the situation other than he will leave for CL football.

Talks nicely about the club, the area etc. Comes across very well but isnt daft and knows his audience as well.

Can only hop he somehow gets a 1 to 1 with Ashley and gets it sorted. Doubtful though.

Remember if you are tracking the £35M from AC sale you need to take wages into account. So Cabaye £4.5M (approx) if you assume £30K pw over 5 years (£7.8M) is total £12.3M. you can see how that £35M wont go very far..

Remember if you are tracking the £35M from AC sale you need to take wages into account. So Cabaye £4.5M (approx) if you assume £30K pw over 5 years (£7.8M) is total £12.3M. you can see how that £35M wont go very far..

Ba would be on at least that if the signing goes through as well. Unlikely to be signed on as long a deal, so if you say 3 years for him at 30K there's another £4.6M to take away, in total then you're looking at £18.1M remaining.

That's also assuming that the creative accountancy crew don't include the £4M odd from Nolan's sale as well as his 40K a week salary saving over the next 2 years (£8.1m total).

What are Joey and Jose on?

Sol doesn't count unfortunately as he was only a 1 year contract.

Edited by OzToonFan

What are Joey and Jose on?

Sol doesn't count unfortunately as he was only a 1 year contract.

He counts in terms of freed up wages though.

Exactly, this whole 'you need to account for wages' thing is bullshit. Ashley has written off whatever he's paying Tiote over the next 6 years but as he was already on the wage bill thats bullshit. Whatever we are paying Cabaye will be mostly covered by what we aren't paying Nolan anymore.

Exactly, this whole 'you need to account for wages' thing is bullshit. Ashley has written off whatever he's paying Tiote over the next 6 years but as he was already on the wage bill thats bullshit. Whatever we are paying Cabaye will be mostly covered by what we aren't paying Nolan anymore.

Well, bottom line is we dont factually know exactly what the players are on over what period and therefore what exactly is in the pot. For all we know he could save £20M and bullshit us saying they have spent the £35M and more and we'd be non the wiser. In fact, thats exactly what Id expect them to do. If they can ship a few out and bring a few in, have arguably a stronger first 11 (I expect more kids to make up the squad) and lower the wage roll they'll be happy. Is that such a bad thing? depends if we make progress on the pitch.

Not sure why Toonpack was trying to defend CT when the point was clear. Typical of the fickle nature of this board of late that everyone's trying to get the one up on someone else over even the most trivial of thing.

T'was simply a "point of order", Alex and I snipe quite a lot, all in good fun, it was far from being a defence of CT per se and pedantry is fun.

Since I have ignored LM I haven't quite completely recalibrated down the sensitivity of my "making things up" radar/defences.

;)

you ignore me because you quite simply don't have a leg to stand on.

Good Answer.

CT, you really haven't said a lot in that post. Do you think the sale of Nolan is a good one? Do you honestly think that Cabaye was signed to replace Nolan... or was Nolan's sale opportunistic because the club was able to force West Ham to offer what they felt was an acceptable figure?

If Nolan had signed the contract that Simon Bird talks about would you have seen it as a good thing?

Do you think the three players you have idnetified (Jonas, Shola & Lovenkrands) should be sold to facilitate their replacements, or do you think the 35M for Carroll shuold be enough to replace them whilst keeping them for depth?

In an ideal world you would just add to the squad should answer your questions on Nolan but in the real world NUFC are not going to pay him big bucks to as Chez puts it, possible not even make the bench.

Would have been excellent if Barton (my player of the season :wub: ) and Nolan had signed in January. They chose not to.

Re your last paragraph, unless you have your head in the sand its pretty obvious there is a hell of lot going on at St James with regard to replacing these three.

"in the real world" - Mike Ashley is running a club sowing the seeds of decline, competing at the levels of Bolton and Blackburn, to make a profit, with no ambition, and will sell any player to make a profit rather than speculate on reaching the Champions League to make a profit, as you have been told for ages now.

This is the bottom line.

Good Answer.

"in the real world" - Mike Ashley is running a club sowing the seeds of decline, competing at the levels of Bolton and Blackburn, to make a profit, with no ambition, and will sell any player to make a profit rather than speculate on reaching the Champions League to make a profit, as you have been told for ages now.

This is the bottom line.

Leazes, what would you do in the next season or two to challenge for the champions league places?

Really why do people who have been around a while still persist in trying to have a reasonable discussion with Leazes. You know he doesnt want to have one, will not consider your point of view and will not even attempt to discuss the issue you want to discuss.

When all else fails he will simply add you to his back collection like he is currently doing with Dr Gloom.

Its almost like grooming. Its hard to resist but do try, for your own sanity. ;)

;)

you ignore me because you quite simply don't have a leg to stand on.

The more he ignores you, the closer you get.

Really why do people who have been around a while still persist in trying to have a reasonable discussion with Leazes. You know he doesnt want to have one, will not consider your point of view and will not even attempt to discuss the issue you want to discuss.

When all else fails he will simply add you to his back collection like he is currently doing with Dr Gloom.

Its almost like grooming. Its hard to resist but do try, for your own sanity. ;)

I'm bucking the trend then :)

I dont mind, I can have a reasonable discussion with him. Dont agree on a lot of things but I'd not say he's been unreasonable. I tend to think that some here think you are either 100% behind Ashley which means you have to be 100% against Shepherd or visa versa. I'd rather look at facts and some things sway me one way and some things the other. It's not as clear cut as saying one was better one was worse on every subject.

I'm bucking the trend then :)

I dont mind, I can have a reasonable discussion with him. Dont agree on a lot of things but I'd not say he's been unreasonable. I tend to think that some here think you are either 100% behind Ashley which means you have to be 100% against Shepherd or visa versa. I'd rather look at facts and some things sway me one way and some things the other. It's not as clear cut as saying one was better one was worse on every subject.

Spot on.