Ashley's Transfer History thread

Happy Face

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is my research right, that between March 2001 (Alain Goma £3.5m) and January 2004 (Carl Cort £2m) Newcastle never sold a single player for more than £150,000?

3 Years!!

:lol:

I mean, the regularity with which we sell our best assets now is thoroughly depressing, but you quickly forget how atrocious we were at performing in the Transfer market.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Steve Stone:

"Newcastle have no quality. I know, I was there!"

"I was there and we used to look at that board and say 'we're getting weaker, we're selling players and we're not replacing them with the same quality."

Funny how he slags off Ashley only after he was sacked by the bloke.

He obviously never signed any confidentiality agreements when he was peddled like some probably did.

'What about Stone? Shall we write up one for him, too?'

'Which ones that? How many fackin coaches does one clab need? Nah, fackim, we'll be writing them up for ther fackin cleaner next!'

He's fuckin wrong too. We do have quality, in most positions. We don't have much in the way of leadership, heart,fight or spirit though. The stuff that brings the quality to the fore. Everton have been shite this season but have done the double over us with no goals scored, similar to the over achieving but still very mediocre Watford. We've got the lowest points total in early February than any of our other premier league campaigns. Our points per game has us on target for 33 in May which no club has ever stayed up with. £130 million spent since May 2014. If Leicester win the league ( I sincerely hope they do) and us, the mackems and Villa go down then 2015/16 will be known as the season that the English Premier League finally fuckin ate itself.

Happy Face has mentioned it before but;

Newcastle’s lop-sided squad

The players on Newcastle’s books:

Central defenders: Coloccini, Taylor, Lascelles, Mbemba – 4

Full-backs: Dummett, Haidara, Janmaat, Mbabu – 4

Central midfielders: Colback, Anita, Tiote, Shelvey, Saivet, Birgirimana – 5

Attacking midfielders/forwards: De Jong, Gouffran, Sissoko, Wijnaldum, De Jong, Obertan, Aarons, Perez, Townsend, Marveaux, Sammy Ameobi, Thauvin, Cabella, Vuckic – 14

Strikers: Cisse, Mitrovic, Toney, Riviere, Doumbia, Armstrong – 6

More impressively still, Paul Dummett, Massadio Haidara, Steven Taylor, Fabricio Coloccini, Jamaal Lascelles and Kevin Mbabu are six of the 12 weakest players in Newcastle’s squad. Look forward to the astonished look on Steve McClaren’s face when they keep conceding goals. “But we bought all these attacking players?” he’ll think. Yes, yes you did.

And yet we set up to contain. Shambles.

Aye it's fucking crackers.

It's also pretty telling of their reluctance to spend on defenders when 2 out of the 8 defenders come through the youth system and 2 more were bought cheap with an eye to eventually bringing them through, I'd say that would be positive if they weren't all basically shit.

They have clearly noticed that attacking midfielders/wingers tend to be the easiest to sell on at a big profit but they seem to have completely ignored the fact that you do actually need a team around those players or else they never get the ball/end up having too many goals to catch up. It's just really sad that fans have noticed things like this and have done for years yet the people running the club are seemingly blind too it.

Aye it's fucking crackers.

It's also pretty telling of their reluctance to spend on defenders when 2 out of the 8 defenders come through the youth system and 2 more were bought cheap with an eye to eventually bringing them through, I'd say that would be positive if they weren't all basically shit.

They have clearly noticed that attacking midfielders/wingers tend to be the easiest to sell on at a big profit but they seem to have completely ignored the fact that you do actually need a team around those players or else they never get the ball/end up having too many goals to catch up. It's just really sad that fans have noticed things like this and have done for years yet the people running the club are seemingly blind too it.

I hadn't quite looked at it that way but I think you're spot on, sadly

I've said for a while that the club make it harder for themselves to turn a profit on a young player as the players always come into a lopsided team who are struggling, struggle themselves and don't endear themselves to rich suitors. Put one or two of our players in a more balanced, settled side and they'd prosper, look better and attract high bids if that was all you wanted from them. (Which is obviously the case at this club).

You just know Ashley's retail sales model is don't worry about how the shop looks, the product will sell itself.

As has been highlighted, it doesn't work that way with footballers.

Ashley should have stuck to squash.