Andy Carroll - "I was told to leave"

KeithJ

The only thing that would save the club from their share of the blame in this, would be for them to reveal that Carroll had a clause in his contract allowing to talk to clubs if a bid of a certain amount came in. A common clause I believe. (Not that I think it will be the case here). Greed rules.

Well they supposedly rejected the £35m bid the first time it came in. Until...WHAT?! He's handed a transfer request in?! Oh I don't believe this, we'll have to sell him now, Mike. Shall we reluctantly accept it?

So it is what you're saying.

'Not welcome but hand in a transfer request' doesnt make any sense.

Fucking hell man, Chez. I don't know how many times I can explain this.

The club made their mind up they wanted to sell him.

The club give the agent permission to present the deal to the player.

The player likes the look of the crazy sums of money that are being presented to him, and wants to move.

The club tell the agent that the player would be doing them a big favour if he hands a transfer request in, and they'll accept the bid.

The player, his head turned by the money that's being offered to him, hands the request in.

The request is instantly "reluctantly accepted" (within a matter of minutes).

10 minutes later the "bid accepted" notice is up on Liverpool's website - it's almost as if they had already written it and were just waiting to press the button.

I've never said that Carroll was gutted, desperately didn't want to go, and yet still handed a request in.

First of all, can you stop replying in that exasperated tone, this is a genuine point of debate. Most of that just places you're pre-determined narrative on events.The idea that Carroll didnt know what was on the table from Liverpool until 4.30pm yesterday is laughable.

As likely is that 'Club rejects £35m (known), player hands in transfer request (known), club accepts and sells him knowing they at least have their price'

As Barney said if ashley had backed Pardew and knocked back £40m for Carroll he'd be a fucking saint, there is no question on them being prepared to accept the money. You're narrative has the club wanting the money and not the player hence there is this convoluted and non-sensical idea that Carroll hands in a transfer request as a favour. The reality is more likely that a decision to sell him was in the balance and that was tippedd when Carroll said fuck it i'm off.

Try not to swear.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pardew breaks silence on Carroll sale

Move ... Andy Carroll broke the transfer record for a British player yesterday.

By MILES STARFORTH

Published on Tue Feb 01 10:22:37 GMT 2011

ALAN Pardew today hit back at Andy Carroll’s claim he was forced out of St James’s Park.

And Newcastle United’s manager also insisted he has been promised that Carroll’s £35m-plus fee will be reinvested in the team by owner Mike Ashley.

Carroll last night completed a transfer deadline day move to Liverpool after handing in a written transfer request.

But the striker told friends in a series of texts he didn’t want to leave Newcastle – and had been forced out because the United “wanted the money”.

However, Pardew says Carroll – who signed a new long-term contract in October – approached him about a new contract after training, and handed a transfer request in when the club baulked at renegotiating his deal so soon after it was signed.

Asked about Carroll’s texts, Pardew told the Gazette: “What can I say? We didn’t force anybody to leave.

“I disagree with that point. He had a contract here for five years, and at some point it would get renewed, but for him to sign in October and it get renewed in January – where would it stop?

“Personally, I’m disappointed. He’s a lovely lad, and I really like him, but it was his decision, and you can’t change that.

“Was this about football? That’s what you have to ask. I don’t think it was.”

Liverpool moved for Carroll after Chelsea hardened their interest in Fernando Torres, who last night joined Chelsea in a British-record £48m deal.

Pardew went on: “We turned down a big offer, and they came back with a second big offer.

“We were having a discussion about what we were going to do with that offer when Andy requested to see me.

“I went to see Andy, and face to face we had a conversation about him wanting a new contract, even though he signed on in October, and (he said) if he didn’t get that contract, he wanted go.

“I asked him what he wanted, and I went to the board. We had a discussion about what the ramifications would be for the whole club.

“We took the view, with him signing a contract in October, that this would cause us all sorts of problems.

“We decided that we needed the conversation confirmed, and he put in a transfer request, which he did.

“He spoke to his agent, and between them they put the request in. We decided with the size of the offer, and what it meant to us, that we would accept.”

Pardew – who “guaranteed” Carroll wouldn’t be sold after succeeding Chris Hughton in December – was unable to bring in a replacement given the last-minute nature of the deal, which was confirmed less than an hour before transfer-window deadline.

With Wayne Routledge and Xisco having left on loan, and only Stephen Ireland having signed, Pardew’s squad is significantly weaker than it was a month ago.

However, Pardew has taken Ashley’s assurances that the fee will be spent on players in the summer, and beyond, at face value.

“We weren’t expecting him to go, so we weren’t in a position to replace him,” added Pardew.

“One thing I can guarantee, having spoke to Mike Ashley, is that every penny will go back into the club. Mike’s assured me he won’t take a penny out of the transfer.”

And asked about his repeated assurances that Carroll wouldn’t be sold, Pardew said: “We never put him up for sale – we fended off a bid from another Premiership club.

“But no club’s about one player. We’re absolutely gutted that he’s gone. It’s disappointing, but we’re not in a financial position like Liverpool.”

From: http://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/pardew..._sale_1_2999676

So in other words Carroll asked the club for parity with what Liverpool were offering and was told to fuck off? And why would he approach Pardew about a contract when it's been made crystal clear that the manager doesn't handle contract negotiation?

The press conference will yield nothing either. Pardew will dodge the questions and what we'd really like to know won't be answered.

I take the 'promise' of re-investment of the full £35m with a pinch of salt too.

Lying thieving bastards.

Guest You FCB Get Out Of Our Club
The only thing that would save the club from their share of the blame in this, would be for them to reveal that Carroll had a clause in his contract allowing to talk to clubs if a bid of a certain amount came in. A common clause I believe. (Not that I think it will be the case here). Greed rules.

Well they supposedly rejected the £35m bid the first time it came in. Until...WHAT?! He's handed a transfer request in?! Oh I don't believe this, we'll have to sell him now, Mike. Shall we reluctantly accept it?

The player likes the look of the crazy sums of money that are being presented to him, and wants to move.

The club tell the agent that the player would be doing them a big favour if he hands a transfer request in, and they'll accept the bid.

The player, his head turned by the money that's being offered to him, hands the request in.

10 minutes later the "bid accepted" notice is up on Liverpool's website - it's almost as if they had already written it and were just waiting to press the button.

I've never said that Carroll was gutted, desperately didn't want to go, and yet still handed a request in.

First of all, can you stop replying in that exasperated tone, this is a genuine point of debate. Most of that just places you're pre-determined narrative on events.The idea that Carroll didnt know what was on the table from Liverpool until 4.30pm yesterday is laughable.

As likely is that 'Club rejects £35m (known), player hands in transfer request (known), club accepts and sells him knowing they at least have their price'

As Barney said if ashley had backed Pardew and knocked back £40m for Carroll he'd be a fucking saint, there is no question on them being prepared to accept the money. You're narrative has the club wanting the money and not the player hence there is this convoluted and non-sensical idea that Carroll hands in a transfer request as a favour. The reality is more likely that a decision to sell him was in the balance and that was tippedd when Carroll said fuck it i'm off.

Try not to swear.

:unsure::icon_lol:

The second bit in bold is saying what I said but in a more articulate way (apart from the you're :lol: ) . The whole post sums it up.

Try not to swear.

To be fair, the exasperated tone is because I've written this out umpteen times, and you've been dismissive and sarcy in your responses whilst (admittedly) never seeming to grasp what I've said.

I'm not suggesting he didn't know what was on the table til half 4. Working on what we know of timings (and not going down the route of this has been set up all window, cos none of us know that), once the press conference was moved (11:20am), the club were already thinking that they were going to sell Andy Carroll, and needed more time to see what the player thought about it etc. By 2:25, the press conference conference is cancelled, and the player is going.

I don't get why you find it so difficult to believe that the agent and the Club couldn't convince Carroll that handing a transfer request in was the right thing to do. They've just presented him with untold riches. He wants to go. Just sign this bit of paper Andy, and we'll be in a helicopter to Liverpool.

Do you believe that the club really wanted to keep him and the player forced their hand? Because that's the alternative.

Have to say I think Gemmill's interpretation of events via the timeline he posted is spot on. Makes perfect sense based on the events as reported imo.

Edited by alex

Have to say I think Gemmill's interpretation of events via the timeline he posted is spot on. Makes perfect sense based on the events as reported imo.

Aye, unless you believe this happened in 7 or so minutes

Pardew went on: “We turned down a big offer, and they came back with a second big offer.

“We were having a discussion about what we were going to do with that offer when Andy requested to see me.

“I went to see Andy, and face to face we had a conversation about him wanting a new contract, even though he signed on in October, and (he said) if he didn’t get that contract, he wanted go.

“I asked him what he wanted, and I went to the board. We had a discussion about what the ramifications would be for the whole club.

“We took the view, with him signing a contract in October, that this would cause us all sorts of problems.

“We decided that we needed the conversation confirmed, and he put in a transfer request, which he did.

“He spoke to his agent, and between them they put the request in. We decided with the size of the offer, and what it meant to us, that we would accept.”

if either party had really not wanted this deal to go through, it wouldn't have gone through.

I don't blame carroll all that much, because I don't have to trust him to run a fucking football club.

then again, given how many fans think we had to accept this deal, it's harder to blame ashley for doing so.

Aye, unless you believe this happened in 7 or so minutes

*plays Benny Hill theme*

RE Gazette article - I genuinely cannot believe the sheer neck of these warts . Shouldnt believe a word . 'You go out there with your slowly delivered, pre-rehearsed pig wet and that should do it. Theyll buy that . Remember - deliver it with a slow, emphatic drawl - it appears more plausible then . . See y down the frog n toad after for a game of krapps' . Dont make me laugh man . Pepare for even worse vaccuous soundbites from him later too . . Sky were their warmup act last night with the goofy man's lame and transparent attempt to soften the blow with the insomnia joke followed by a 'signing off with a positive' saying watch this space in the summer WATCH MIKE GO , moneys burning a hole etc etc . Its same psychology as playing the bandits - on last credit, make a few lights flash/tease with the punter . . and back theyll come with another coin in the slot . Bunch of Ben Sherman shoed cockneywalkabout living horrors .

RE Gazette article - I genuinely cannot believe the sheer neck of these warts . Shouldnt believe a word . 'You go out there with your slowly delivered, pre-rehearsed pig wet and that should do it. Theyll buy that . Remember - deliver it with a slow, emphatic drawl - it appears more plausible then . . See y down the frog n toad after for a game of krapps' . Dont make me laugh man . Pepare for even worse vaccuous soundbites from him later too . . Sky were their warmup act last night with the goofy man's lame and transparent attempt to soften the blow with the insomnia joke followed by a 'signing off with a positive' saying watch this space in the summer WATCH MIKE GO , moneys burning a hole etc etc . Its same psychology as playing the bandits - on last credit, make a few lights flash/tease with the punter . . and back theyll come with another coin in the slot . Bunch of Ben Sherman shoed cockneywalkabout living horrors .

:lol: I like the cut of your jib.

I still can't get over Craig's teeth like. Proper Tim Nice But Dim.

:lol: I like the cut of your jib.

I still can't get over Craig's teeth like. Proper Tim Nice But Dim.

. .clearly had the fuckin things installed as 'prime advertising space' . Clackers by Sports Direct .

Try not to swear.

To be fair, the exasperated tone is because I've written this out umpteen times, and you've been dismissive and sarcy in your responses whilst (admittedly) never seeming to grasp what I've said.

I'm not suggesting he didn't know what was on the table til half 4. Working on what we know of timings (and not going down the route of this has been set up all window, cos none of us know that), once the press conference was moved (11:20am), the club were already thinking that they were going to sell Andy Carroll, and needed more time to see what the player thought about it etc. By 2:25, the press conference conference is cancelled, and the player is going.

I don't get why you find it so difficult to believe that the agent and the Club couldn't convince Carroll that handing a transfer request in was the right thing to do. They've just presented him with untold riches. He wants to go. Just sign this bit of paper Andy, and we'll be in a helicopter to Liverpool.

Do you believe that the club really wanted to keep him and the player forced their hand? Because that's the alternative.

It was in the balance and then he handed in the transfer request. Player wanting to leave + £40m = decision to let him go.

Its the simplest explanation.

Guest You FCB Get Out Of Our Club
Freddy Shepherd hits out at Mike Ashley over Andy Carroll sale

By SPORTSMAIL REPORTER

Last updated at 10:33 AM on 1st February 2011

Comments (0)

Add to My Stories

Former Newcastle chairman Freddy Shepherd has hit out at the man to whom he sold the club by claiming the club didn’t have to sell Andy Carroll to Liverpool for £35million.

The striker claims he was forced out of St James’ Park but Shepherd said: ‘I signed Andy as a lad and it’s a sad day for Newcastle.

‘When I was chairman Liverpool tried to buy Alan Shearer and I refused point blank. It can be done.

Out of Toon: Liverpool Kenny Dalglish proudly presents his club-record signing Andy Carroll

‘If Newcastle don’t need the money then why sell him? A few weeks ago he signed a new contract and said he wanted to stay with the club forever. They should have said that as he’s just signed a new deal he isn’t going.

‘The trouble these days is money gets in the way of everything.

‘Having said that, good luck to Liverpool. They’ve done a great deal. Andy Carroll will be England’s centre-forward for the next 10 years.’

Shearer, meanwhile, finds it 'staggering' that Newcastle allowed the striker to leave without bringing in anyone as a replacement on transfer deadline day.

Flying out: Carroll was, briefly, a British transfer record

Newcastle's record goalscorer, hopes that the Magpies' failure to reinvest any of the £35million in a replacement for the England striker does not come back to haunt them.

'I'm staggered just like the rest of Newcastle fans,' he told the BBC. 'I am surprised at how quickly it came along and it's an astonishing amount for a young guy with huge potential.

'It's all right selling your best player, but not getting anyone in to replace him is staggering.

'People are saying that Liverpool have sold Torres, but they have got two guys in for over £50million to replace him. I just hope Newcastle invest some of the £35million in new players at the end of the season.

Playing for keeps: Alan Shearer saw out his career at Newcastle

'I am disappointed as he is Newcastle's best player and their best hope of being successful this season and getting a Europe League place.

'They would have just been happy to avoid relegation at the start of the season but, mainly because of him, they had a chance of a Europa spot.'

No need: Former chairman Freddy Shepherd things current boss Mike Ashley could have vetoed the sale

Carroll has been a huge hit this season, following on from the key role he played in firing Newcastle back to the Premier League at the first time of asking.

However for every back-page headline he's made, the 22-year-old has made a fair share of appearances on the front, most notably when he was arrested in October following an allegation he assaulted his ex-girlfriend Laurie Henderson, a lingerie model, at her home in Ponteland, Northumberland.

Shepherd, though, is confident Carroll will be able to control his off-field behaviour on Merseyside.

He said: 'He'll sort himself out, he’s not stupid, he’ll do it. There’s no better place to do this than Liverpool.'

Carroll later claimed he had been 'pushed out the door' by the owners who it was alleged assured new boss Alan Pardew that his star man would not be sold.

Editor of the ToonTalk fanzine, Steve Wraith, claimed Carroll had contacted him before flying to Merseyside and said the England striker had been left with no option but to leave.

Wraith claimed Carroll texted: 'I'm gutted to be leaving my home town club, I was told to go. I didn't want to leave that's why I signed a 5 year deal. I was pushed out of the door.'

Protests: Newcastle fans will likely revert to their previous stance on the regime

The deal for Carroll would seem to be excellent business for the club - never before has such a fee, or anything like it, been paid for a player with only 41 Premier League games to his name.

Shearer added: 'He is a huge loss, he has carried Newcastle at times this season. There are not many players like him.

'He is big, strong, very good in the air and has a good left foot. You get that ball in the box and there aren't many that could stop him, but he will be a tremendous asset to Liverpool.

'Having worked with Kenny Dalglish I can tell you he is not only a great man, but a great manager. If anyone can get the best out of him then Kenny will.

'To work with one of the greatest football figures of the last two decades, I know he will learn the tricks of the trade from him and improve.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/...l#ixzz1ChqHqxVH

I was wondering how long it would take FFS to pipe up.

And yet not much more difficult to believe that the club asked him to hand the request in. Redknapp certainly seemed to think that's what happened. The speed with which the request was accepted, and the instant acceptance of the offer suggests to me the request was just a box ticking exercise.

And yet not much more difficult to believe that the club asked him to hand the request in. Redknapp certainly seemed to think that's what happened. The speed with which the request was accepted, and the instant acceptance of the offer suggests to me the request was just a box ticking exercise.

3 hours? Or 7 minutes? Am not clear on the timelines.

3 hours? Or 7 minutes? Am not clear on the timelines.

Am not sure if you're taking the piss, but it took 7 minutes from news of the request coming out to news of its acceptance. 3 minutes later Liverpool confirmed the bid had been accepted.

10 minutes all told.

Edited by Gemmill

It's at times like this posters real personas come to the fore.

Renton, Chez - clinical, logical.

HF - See's it but being gentle.

Gemmill - pragmatic

Alex- Open minded, but prepared to let Carroll off the hook.

Fist - falls back on humour as is his wonderful way

Stevie - seething and genuily hurt, but tring to mask it..

KAS- looking for gags, unconcerned with reality of any kind.

Love this board. :lol:

And here's the news...

He wanted to go, the club wanted the money and if it is reinvested, even 70% of it, it is a fantastic deal. IMO this is a big gamble by Liv.

Wasn't happy that Shearer had been bigging Andy up to Dalglish.

Edited by Park Life

You're right Parky I am unconcerned with the ins and outs of this whole farce, because it is something I felt was inevitable with this owner in charge and it does not surprise me in the least. People can argue about the chronology, but it was inevitable that given the chance to make a large profit, Ashley would accept.

It's pretty close to the glass ceiling of is value anyway.

Don't think with the money on the table there was a way out for any of the parties, they all saw mutual benefit and that inc the agents.

Ideally would have kept him till the summer but again it was a VAST AMOUNT OF MONEY. VAST.

You're right Parky I am unconcerned with the ins and outs of this whole farce, because it is something I felt was inevitable with this owner in charge and it does not surprise me in the least. People can argue about the chronology, but it was inevitable that given the chance to make a large profit, Ashley would accept.

It's pretty close to the glass ceiling of is value anyway.

Don't think with the money on the table there was a way out for any of the parties, they all saw mutual benefit and that inc the agents.

Ideally would have kept him till the summer but again it was a VAST AMOUNT OF MONEY. VAST.

That was the explicit goal of Ashley was it not? Get young players into the team for as little outlay as possible, then sell them on for as much profit as you can get.

The obvious thing to say is, if the money is reinvested, the deal could turn out well for us. Do I expect that to be the case under Ashley? I'm not holding out much hope.

According to Newspaper reports today, Steve Wraith was sent a number of text messages whereby he explains that he has been told the club want the money and have asked him to leave. They told Andy Carroll they did not want him there anymore.

Sorry, however I smell a load of bull shit.

If Andy Carroll wanted to stay, then he could have. He had a 5 year deal with Newcastle United and I doubt very much that he thought the club would bench him for the rest of that contract. It takes two to tango!

The simple fact is, Newcastle United got an amazing bid that smelled of a desperation from Liverpool. £35mil for 11 goals in half a season of your first premiership time!

SO before Andy Carroll comes out and says he was forced to leave, he wasnt! He had a 5 year contract with Newcastle and could have said NO! at anytime. The simple matter of fact is this. He felt bad for leaving Newcastle but knew £50k a week would buy a sufficient amount of tissues!

Am I angry? Yes! Not at him leaving but at him coming out with the bullshit of "I love the club, I love the shirt!, I want to be a legend like my idol Shearer, I sat in the gallowgate"

At the end of the day, Carroll signed the contract for liverpool knowing he could back out at anytime. He was so forced, he handed in a transfer request.

Ironic how he went to the same team as Steven Gerrard who turned down Chelsea who to be fair would have gave Liverpool a good enough deal for them to accept!

he's left a club with no aspirations to be successful and gone to one that want to be back up the top as soon as possible. No brainer really.

Throw in the salary to go with it, and he'd have been a complete mug to turn it down.

This is NUFC competing at Mike Ashley's desired level.