is this the shitest selection of strikers in your lifetime?

Dr Gloom

I remember having a poster of Maric soon after he joined. Must have got it from Match magazine, or possibly the official club magazine (Black & White?).

Funny thing is that I can't remember a single game that he played for us.

The one I remember is the semi against Tottenham at Old Trafford, I'm sure he set up Shearer for that thunderbolt :D

Didn't Shearer take the ball off Maric before he had a chance to shoot because he obviously had no faith in the useless bastard to score?

shola 'the fenham pele' ameobi

leon 'simply the' best

nile 'dutty custard' ranger

peter 'wasn't quite good enough for the SPL' lovelyhands

honestly, i'm struggling to remember a shitter batch than this lot. even in the dark days in the 80s or 90s, we had someone like micky quinn who could bang them in. shola ameobi our front line forward for fucks sake.

Pingel and Rob Mcdonald?

Reilly and Cunningham?

John Robertson and Mirandinha?

Yes this lot is up there, though.

Edited by Howmanheyman

I remember having a poster of Maric soon after he joined. Must have got it from Match magazine, or possibly the official club magazine (Black & White?).

The one I remember is the semi against Tottenham at Old Trafford, I'm sure he set up Shearer for that thunderbolt :D

Didn't Shearer take the ball off Maric before he had a chance to shoot because he obviously had no faith in the useless bastard to score?

Nah, it was definitely a pass unless my memory really is going. Also I seem to remember he came on as sub in the subsequent final against Man Utd and beat about three men, set up a great position for himself and missed ;)

Nah, it was definitely a pass unless my memory really is going. Also I seem to remember he came on as sub in the subsequent final against Man Utd and beat about three men, set up a great position for himself and missed ;)

Did Shearer not do that with somebody? I'm sure of it.

Rings a bell like. Different match mebbies?

Rings a bell like. Different match mebbies?

Might have been in the same tournament come to think. Sheffield United jumps out in my head and I'm sure it was Maric he whipped it off.

That wasn't the Tottenham game like!

Proof:

and then there were three: ranger, best and lovenkrands.

does anyone have any faith in any of these three to step up to the plate, lead the line and score the goals needed to secure our place in this league? which of them is most likely to surprise us. they all must be champing at the bit. it's a once in a career chance to secure a place at a top club. are any of them good enough to do it though? i hope best can surprise us and score half a dozen goals or so between now and the end of the season but i'm not holding out too much hope.

does anyone have any faith in any of these three to step up to the plate, lead the line and score the goals needed to secure our place in this league? which of them is most likely to surprise us. they all must be champing at the bit. it's a once in a career chance to secure a place at a top club. are any of them good enough to do it though? i hope best can surprise us and score half a dozen goals or so between now and the end of the season but i'm not holding out too much hope.

Apart from their own shortcomings, a lot of it is also down to chances being created, which at the moment seem very rare.

Apart from their own shortcomings, a lot of it is also down to chances being created, which at the moment seem very rare.

I disagree like, apart from the Fulham game. We had a few chances to bury Spurs which we didn't take. The mackem game was a typically tight affair for a derby but we still had a few chances which would've won us the game and we certainly had the better of the chances in that match, Stevenage - I'll give you that but the side we put out wasn't a first XI (still should've won like on paper), the match before that the 5-0 probably flattered West Ham, such was our superiority.

Some of the balls Barton put in on Wednesday were quality. Just because none were guilt edge chances, just shows the movement/anticipation of the front two was shite.

Aye, spot on too. It's not as simple as just saying there were no clear-cut chances, as you say.

Some of the balls Barton put in on Wednesday were quality. Just because none were guilt edge chances, just shows the movement/anticipation of the front two was shite.

Aye, spot on too. It's not as simple as just saying there were no clear-cut chances, as you say.

Fair enough......we're fooooked :(

Its gonna be like this for years tho isnt it. In the summer we will buy some cheap striker like Odemwingie, maybe try for Carew on a free. I just cant see us spending say 10m on a proven good striker. And even if we do, its gonna be the same bunch coming on the pitch every time hes injured. There is a tiny hope that Ranger will become a good striker one day but personally I just cannot see him learning the game.

Despite what they claim, quite a lot of people at the time thought Tony Cunningham was good. Him and George Reilly were pretty grim.

Also Billy Rafferty, Bobby Shinton

shola 'the fenham pele' ameobi

leon 'simply the' best

nile 'dutty custard' ranger

peter 'wasn't quite good enough for the SPL' lovelyhands

honestly, i'm struggling to remember a shitter batch than this lot. even in the dark days in the 80s or 90s, we had someone like micky quinn who could bang them in. shola ameobi our front line forward for fucks sake.

I think Mick Quinn was one of the best goal poachers we have had, he was sharp as a needle in the 18 yard box, he almost always was on target and either scored or forced a save, if he had had more pace etc in his general football he would have been a great player.

Having seen him a few times in the reserves I think Ranger really has got the quality, he just needs to 'switch on' a bit more in the seniors. He's young enough that we shouldn't give up yet! I think he just needs a good performance to gain some of the confidence he needs.

Having seen him a few times in the reserves I think Ranger really has got the quality, he just needs to 'switch on' a bit more in the seniors. He's young enough that we shouldn't give up yet! I think he just needs a good performance to gain some of the confidence he needs.

you might be right, I must admit, I quite liked him at first but now, he looks like he needs a few goals and a bit of confidence in front of goal. Or maybe he's just a shit finisher. Time will tell. He's a big strong lad though and should be clobbering defenders. Doesn't justify selling Carroll though, which I suspect may be the way the club will see it, or say it if he comes good.