Generic small time football blather thread

Guest You FCB Get Out Of Our Club

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought you used an alias too. Pretending to be black is one thing but trying to make out you're the real Baggio is taking things a bit far, don't you think?

:lol:

Unfortunately Bernard since you seem to know so much about me while I know nothing about you while hiding behind the identity of your new username , I think I'll make use of the functions here and stick you on the ignore list.

Nice try for a bite btw. Chomp.

which even goes to show most people make a correct statement now and again.

What do these people have to hide ? Hilarious.

He's posting like nobodies business mind, must have a problem or maybe just taking things a little too seriously. :lol:

This review is from: Parklife: A Search for the Heart of Football (Paperback)

This an excellent book about football which looks at how the game has developed since the hooligan days of the 70's and 80's to the much improved stadia and glamour of the Premiership. It also exmaines the feeling amongst many fans that the game has lost some of its soul in this transition as well as looking at the continued problems of football violence particularly with regard to the England team abroad. There is also brilliant analysis of the Hillsborough tragedy which will have every decent football fan seething with rage at both the behaviour of the authorities and the tabloid press. Get it, it knocks spots off bloody 'Fever Pitch'.

I've read this book and that's a good review, particularly the Hillsborough bit, was more thought provoking than any documentary I've seen on the event. Think it came free with "Four Four Two".

Fever Pitch is a disgrace of a book by the way. I'm in no way against snobby cunts, let them be that way, but they book was truly written by a snobby cunt who should've stayed at Lords or Twickenham or Henley Regatta. He epitomises Arsenal FC.

I thought you used an alias too. Pretending to be black is one thing but trying to make out you're the real Baggio is taking things a bit far, don't you think?

:lol:

Unfortunately Bernard since you seem to know so much about me while I know nothing about you while hiding behind the identity of your new username , I think I'll make use of the functions here and stick you on the ignore list.

Nice try for a bite btw. Chomp.

which even goes to show most people make a correct statement now and again.

What do these people have to hide ? Hilarious.

He's posting like nobodies business mind, must have a problem or maybe just taking things a little too seriously. :lol:

Btw, haven't you got numerous accounts on here and on that forum you run. You know, the one where you start topics then log in as someone else to answer them. If you're not sure which one I'm on about it's the one where you said Souness was a top boss. Mad Jock was telling me about it.

Fever Pitch is a disgrace of a book by the way. I'm in no way against snobby cunts, let them be that way, but they book was truly written by a snobby cunt who should've stayed at Lords or Twickenham or Henley Regatta. He epitomises Arsenal FC.

Think you must've forgotten the bit at the start then when it says he went to the local grammar school in Reading. Hardly down the road at Eton. But neither was it Byker tbh.He did well and got into Cambridge at a time when they wanted bright kids from other backgrounds other than the public schools. The book is a good read iyam. It explains why those who say "never mind its only a game" will never,ever understand. And why Gus Ceaser got to the Arsenal first team, and why he was crap too.

I thought it was ok. It did well because of the lack of decent football literature at the time. It still comes a poor 2nd compared to the likes of cricket in that regard. I think you've inadvertently hit the nail on the head though. He wasn't a exactly a member of the Bullingdon Club but his boring, safe "middle-classness" really comes out in Fever Pitch.

I thought it was ok. It did well because of the lack of decent football literature at the time. It still comes a poor 2nd compared to the likes of cricket in that regard. I think you've inadvertently hit the nail on the head though. He wasn't a exactly a member of the Bullingdon Club but his boring, safe "middle-classness" really comes out in Fever Pitch.

His sister married Robert Harris,not short of a bob or two either.

In the end it was his story, which was always going to be different to an Arsenal fan who grew up in Somerstown or on the Essex Road. I just dont think he could be described as posh though.

Think you must've forgotten the bit at the start then when it says he went to the local grammar school in Reading. Hardly down the road at Eton. But neither was it Byker tbh.He did well and got into Cambridge at a time when they wanted bright kids from other backgrounds other than the public schools. The book is a good read iyam. It explains why those who say "never mind its only a game" will never,ever understand. And why Gus Ceaser got to the Arsenal first team, and why he was crap too.

Well he should support Reading for starters that was my first bone of contention. Secondly he didn't strike me as the type of bloke who would admit he's followed through or show any signs of true blokieness, which I think goes hand in hand with football support, or it used to before Sky. I've read the book, but the film in particular, is a good depiction of an Arsenal fan. Posh cunts in teachers scarves reading The Observer, and when Michael Thomas scores that moment, the one moment, I don't know how it could ever get any better than that. I think I'd die on the spot of a heart attack, and these cunts, they score THAT goal and it's as if they've just made it 4-0 in the League Cup Second Round against Grimsby, which is why I felt it was such a good representation of Arsenal FC.

Yes, that's it.

I've never read Fever Pitch but have enjoyed his other books.

The reason I refused to read that one is I found out that when he went to Cambridge University he gave up watching Arsenal as it was too far to travel so I thought I'm just not going empathise with him as a football fan.

I've never read Fever Pitch but have enjoyed his other books.

The reason I refused to read that one is I found out that when he went to Cambridge University he gave up watching Arsenal as it was too far to travel so I thought I'm just not going empathise with him as a football fan.

I'm pretty sure in the book he mentions a game between Cambridge and Newcastle in our promotion season he attended, memories a bit sketchy but I'm sure he said our fans were gods, so he's not all bad.

I thought Hornby seemed quite enthusiastic about arsenal. Seemed quite knowledgeable about it too.

I don't recall his attitude to Thomas' goal being that muted, mind Stevie. As I remember he bombed up and down the street, went to the offy and got smashed. Which is pretty much what I'd do once I'd stopped screaming myself stupid.

on another book related topic: has anyone read 'Manchester united ruined my life'? Never got around to it, myself.

Well he should support Reading for starters that was my first bone of contention. Secondly he didn't strike me as the type of bloke who would admit he's followed through or show any signs of true blokieness, which I think goes hand in hand with football support, or it used to before Sky. I've read the book, but the film in particular, is a good depiction of an Arsenal fan. Posh cunts in teachers scarves reading The Observer, and when Michael Thomas scores that moment, the one moment, I don't know how it could ever get any better than that. I think I'd die on the spot of a heart attack, and these cunts, they score THAT goal and it's as if they've just made it 4-0 in the League Cup Second Round against Grimsby, which is why I felt it was such a good representation of Arsenal FC.

Always the measure of shiteness.

I thought Hornby seemed quite enthusiastic about arsenal. Seemed quite knowledgeable about it too. I don't recall his attitude to Thomas' goal being that muted, mind Stevie. As I remember he bombed up and down the street, went to the offy and got smashed. Which is pretty much what I'd do once I'd stopped screaming myself stupid. on another book related topic: has anyone read 'Manchester united ruined my life'? Never got around to it, myself.

Yeah, I have and its as dull as fuck. Hes from a similar background to Hornby but isnt as good a writer and is just really fuckin boring.

Doesn't that mean he gets an extra match out?

nope, FA obviously decided it was a worthy appeal that they rejected rather than a spurious one

so theyve not done it THAT right but still, 2 out of 3