Generic small time football blather thread

Guest You FCB Get Out Of Our Club

Tempted. I've quite fancied going to see Ajax play in the past there but getting tickets for Dutch games is a fucking nightmare if you're foreign. I don't see us being in the final like (stick that in the predictions thread ;) ).

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 December:
"I said to the players this morning that everyone talks about fourth place but what about third? We are 11 points off second so, if we can get some consistency, keep our mentality and our focus then it is not fourth place we want to aim for … I want to reinforce that it isn't just about fourth place for this club. This club is bigger than that. OK, we might not arrive there this season but everyone is talking about arriving in fourth position when there is not that big a difference between us and third. There is not that big a difference to second" – Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers shoots for the moon.

16 December:
"We were talked up all week as top-four material but we know within the group we still have a long way to go"

Oh Brendan!

The Macclesfield manager on the latest spate of racism in football...

(Nat Brown) got called a monkey by some of the (Barrow) fans behind the goal. He said to the ref 'he's called me a monkey' and that's not acceptable. It's disappointing for me that we've got monkey chants and all that. I heard it when I was coming out with Nat Brown. It seems to be happening everywhere. It's up to Browny - he said leave it but the ref [David Webb] wants to report it because it's not acceptable. We're in 2012 - what's all that about?

Innocent mistake, but what a tit. :lol:

@barcastuff: Barcelona coach Tito Vilanova is undergoing an emergency operation at a hospital in Barcelona after a relapse of cancer. [ara]

:( Awful news. Hope he can make a recovery.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2250503/Tito-Vilanova-set-step-Barcelona-coach-tumor-relapse.html

Barcelona manager Tito Vilanova is set to step down from his post after suffering a relapse of a tumor he had removed last year.

The 44-year-old had a tumor on his parotid gland removed in emergency surgery last November when he was the club's assistant manager.

The parotid gland is the largest of the human salivary glands.

But during a recent medical check-up, it was found that the tumor had returned.

He took over the top job after Pep Guardiola stepped down in April this year, signing a two-year contract.

Barcelona are currently nine points clear at the top of La Liga.

They cancelled a scheduled press conference on Wednesday as the news broke, as well as the staff Christmas party.

Barcelona have announced that no decision will be made on a potential replacement until Vilanova has spoken to the players this afternoon.

The news broke on the same day defender Eric Abidal was given the all-clear to resume his playing career following a liver transplant.

@barcastuff: Barcelona coach Tito Vilanova is undergoing an emergency operation at a hospital in Barcelona after a relapse of cancer. [ara]

:( Awful news. Hope he can make a recovery.

Well on the plus side he's still a young man so has as good a chance as anyone.

I wonder who'll step in now, short tern return for Pep?

He's not. Sky have just changed the odds as they have had large amounts of money placed on it happening. Daft things like that happen all of the time in the managerial market due to the money being placed. Like Hoddle being favourite for our job before.

He's not. Sky have just changed the odds as they have had large amounts of money placed on it happening. Daft things like that happen all of the time in the managerial market due to the money being placed. Like Hoddle being favourite for our job before.

Aye, plus the market for those sort of things that it doesn't take much to move the prices.

And it isn't unknown for bookies to do this sort of thing for a bit of free publicity.

Barcelona goal machine Lionel Messi has come third behind a boxer and taekwondo fighter in a poll to find Argentina's best sports star of 2012.

Messi has scored a record 90 goals in 2012, including 12 for Argentina.

However, Argentine journalists awarded the title to WBC middleweight champion Sergio Martinez, ahead of Sebastian Crismanich, who won the nation's solitary Olympic gold at London 2012.

Messi was voted the best Argentine footballer playing outside Argentina.

Martinez won the title after defeating Mexico's Julio Cesar Chavez Jr on points in September to win the world middleweight crown.

The 37-year-old will defend his title against Britain's Martin Murray, 30, in Buenos Aires on 27 April.

:D

Wonder if he would have been nominated for the BBC award if he was English.