Generic small time football blather thread

Guest You FCB Get Out Of Our Club

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gonna post some of my favourite anecdotes from Fergie...

2hcqgye.jpg

I've not left anything out. That is the ENTIRE story.

This is one of the greatest of Fergie's memories, something he has carried for 50 years, waiting to publish. A man once wore a bow tie.

30c635e.jpg

What I like about this one is that Martin Corrigan is entirely redundant. He's told us about him, and then he get's no further mention in the entire book. Martin can lay his hands on anything, but he didn't get the binoculars, that was "another guy"....the fact he was a nice guy with a speech impediment really makes this yarn worth including, otherwise the story of buying binoculars would be pedestrian at best.

Apart from the Partridge it seems like the dullest book ever written.

"And in my bathroom we have the towel cupboard; although I do confess there are a few flannels in there too!"

25swlli.jpg

"Then I have my despots section"

:icon_lol:

:lol: He must be taking the piss? decades in professional football, the stories he should have and he's going on about what books he has in his house? what a fucking knacker. The story about Martin Corrigan is wonderful too, I actually considered giving the book a read but seeing these excerpts puts me right off.

BT Sport have won the exclusive rights to show CL football from 2015. There's soon going to be zero live football on terrestrial TV.

Around £1.5bn wiped off BSkyB's value today after losing out on £900m Champions & Europa League rights to BT :o

http://m.apnews.com/ap/db_307134/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=j6isVoB4

Edited by Sonatine

Apart from the Partridge it seems like the dullest book ever written.

"And in my bathroom we have the towel cupboard; although I do confess there are a few flannels in there too!"

Have you or HF read the biog about Fergie ghosted by Hugh McIlvanney, came out 2000ish?...?..far better prose style by the sounds of it, makes the banal seem half interesting...very good chapters on working for Jock Stein as Scotland assistant manager in the 80s...

Have you or HF read the biog about Fergie ghosted by Hugh McIlvanney,  came out 2000ish?...?..far better prose style by the sounds of it, makes the banal seem half interesting...very good chapters on working for Jock Stein as Scotland assistant manager in the 80s...

To be fair I have picked the worst examples of mundanity I could. There's tactical analysis of players, games, teams, seasons and other managers that many will find interesting.

Not seen that blog though. Link?

I'm reading Craig Bellamy's book now. I've never been fussed on football books before but got these sent to me for free as PDFs and they're perfect for work avoidance.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24900573

Over the next few days South America's World Cup sides will present their case for the defence.

The continent's sides made a strong showing in South Africa 2010; all five made it out of the group phase, four reached the quarter-finals and Uruguay (who had finished fifth in qualifying) made it into the semis.

Naturally, good things are expected next year when the World Cup finally returns to South America.

But on the evidence of the 2014 qualifiers, there could be a problem. A common theme of the campaign was teams tended to be better in attack than defence.

It was certainly a headache for Uruguay, who went through a nightmare spell in the middle of the competition when they conceded 15 goals in six games, in a run which at one stage seriously threatened their place in Brazil.

They rallied enough to finish fifth yet again, and qualify for what has become their customary play-off slot. In part this was down to an acknowledgement of their limitations; the defensive unit is ageing, so they dropped deep, with the midfield close to the back line, leaving plenty of space to slip Luis Suarez on the counter.

Against play-off opponents Jordan, it is likely that they will try something more expansive, seeking to score some away goals in Wednesday's first leg. But assuming they make it to Brazil, their approach is likely to be one of caution mixed with counter-attacks.

Argentina, meanwhile, are tipped the other way. Coach Alejandro Sabella said recently that when his team are under fire there are times when all he can do is shut his eyes and pray.

It is a consequence of fielding an attacking trident of Lionel Messi, Sergio Aguero and Gonzalo Higuain, plus Angel Di Maria in the midfield trio. But there are also doubts about the individual quality of Argentina's defenders.

There would seem to be an air of desperation about Sabella's decision, at this late stage, to include three new centre-backs - Facundo Roncaglia, Nicolas Otamendi and Lucas Orban - in his squad to face Ecuador and Bosnia.

And Ecuador, with plenty of defensive problems of their own, have rushed back their most impressive centre-back, Jayro Campos, after a lengthy injury lay-off.

In Colombia all eyes will be on the international debut of Eder Alvarez Balanta, a 20-year-old centre-back with River Plate in Argentina. Left-footed, fast, hard and constructive, he has made a huge impression this year.

After just a few games, club coach Ramon Diaz compared him to former Argentina captain Daniel Passarella. He is understandably raw, but is he ready?

Colombia need someone to emerge in this position; their centre-backs are creaking - approaching 38, Mario Yepes is increasingly vulnerable.

Someone even older is likely to be in goal. An injury to first-choice keeper David Ospina opens the door for 42-year-old Faryd Mondragon - outstanding against England in Colombia's last World Cup match - but that was 15 years ago.

He and Alvarez Balanta are likely to be tested; Colombia are taking on dangerous opponents in Belgium and the Netherlands.

Also throwing themselves in at the deep end are Chile, who visit Wembley on Friday to face England, before flying on to Canada to meet Brazil.

As I commented here in September, Chile are once again likely to become the neutrals' favourites in the World Cup.

They have the same swashbuckling approach that made them so attractive in South Africa 2010, with a generation of players who have moved into their footballing prime.

They are the continent's form side, with five wins and a draw in the final six rounds of World Cup qualification, plus a 2-2 draw with Spain in Switzerland where they were seconds away from a famous win.

Electric little coach Jorge Sampaoli appears to have settled on an attacking trident with quick, talented strikers Alexis Sanchez and Eduardo Vargas pushed wide, and twinkle-toed playmaker Jorge Valdivia employed as a false nine.

This would seem to be the reading of his squad, where all of the conventional centre-forward options have been left out. Full-backs Mauricio Isla and Eugenio Mena are also expected to keep bombing forward as Chile look to play high-tempo football in the opponents' half of the field.

But they can leave themselves exposed. Rather like Argentina, Chile have a dual problem; the balance of the side is firmly tipped towards attack, and the individual quality of their defenders is in doubt - hence the fact Gary Medel, Cardiff City's little pitbull of a defensive midfielder, is normally employed in the back line (where Chile can switch between a three and a four).

He could revert to his natural position if midfield powerhouse Arturo Vidal is not fit to play. Either way, the coming games will be a test of Chilean defensive solidity.

In last month's 2-1 win over Ecuador they had real problems containing the pace and power of Luis Antonio Valencia. On Friday it will be interesting to see how they cope with the likes of Andros Townsend. And should they give away set-pieces, their defending in the air leaves much to be desired.

And then comes the meeting with Brazil - whose magnificent counter-attack has so often proved too much for the Chileans, most notably when it ended their last World Cup campaign in South Africa.

But the mere fact Chile have agreed to face these opponents is an indication of their boldness. Coach Sampaoli is talking up their chances of making real progress in the World Cup.

His team are guaranteed entertainment - we will know a bit more about their chances in Brazil after these two friendlies.